Removing old stickers/ pinstripes etc

johnd

I had success removing old stickers when I bought my Lappy using heat gun, plastic scrapper and Goof Off...but, just got a “new” 2001 hull that had mfg installed graphics.  They were previously removed, but left a slick something, you can feel with a fingernail.  Quick compound had no effect. 

Before I pull out the acetone, looking for advice.  Thanks

You mentioned the word slick? I've seen the stickers protect the gel coat and that area will always have a different feel. I re finished a fountain boat years ago and the gel coat wouldn't even sand the same in the decal areas because it was protected from the suns UV rays.  I'm not sure how deep it effects things? 

On 12/30/2017 at 8:37 AM, East Coast Dave said:

3m makes a wheel that removes decals. They come right off. IMG_0512.thumb.PNG.c703d1a35da5e71154cecd1c3195a29c.PNG

These things work excellent if anyone ever considers using them and isn’t quite sure how good they work. I was very surprised at how easy they came off and it didn’t leave a scratch.  You can also get them at advance auto, napa and autozone so they should be easy to find if you need it and don’t want to wait on shipping.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:51 AM, mdemott said:

These wheels are what my sign shop used to take off my old graphics. Everything off and no scratches.

It sure beats trying to peel those darn things off. You'll be there all day without it. With the wheel it crazy how easy and fast they come off. I was super gentle since I wasn't sure what it would do to the finish of the boat. 

Archived