Hello guys and gals . I have a 2013 rf18 with 115 Yamaha . For the past few months I've been using the trolling motor through the really shallow waters and was looking on some advice for Jack plates , buddy of mine adviced Bob's Jack plate . What do you guys recommend , what offset , and what is average install price ? Thanks ahead of time 

Since you have a F115, you could get away with a 4" Atlas Micro-Jacker jack plate which is lighter and has almost no built-in engine lift.  Lurem (a fellow member here) uses one on his Redfisher 16 and likes it.  If you want to go with a full-size JP, I would go with an 8" setback, or don't install one at all.  The reason is because late-model Redfishers have a high transom that doesn't play well with the additional 1 1/2" to 2" of built-in engine lift that you get with most jack plates.  A standard JP with 4" or 6" setback on your Redfisher will not be enough to get the prop back into cleaner water.  The engine will be too high and you will have prop ventilation problems and blowouts in turns.  Been there, done that.
I now use an Atlas JP (8" setback) on my 2017 Redfisher 16 with a Yamaha VF115.  I like it just fine.  Prop slip is 4% with a 4-blade and 6% with a 3-blade.  But, if I buy another, it will probably be a Bob's Action-Jac (about $200 more).  I installed the Atlas JP myself, so I can't help with installation pricing.

Hope this helps.

Edit:  More advice...  I recommend the optional splash pan (hole-shot plate) which is installed at Bob's Machine Shop when the JP is built.  Also, make sure the installer cuts (notches out) the hard plastic corner molding on top of your transom so that the entire surface of the JP mounts tightly flush against the transom with no gaps in between.  This provides more rigid support for all that weight and helps prevent the transom from being crushed (indentations) when the bolts are tightened down @ 55 lb. ft. of torque.

36 minutes ago, Alopez0105 said:

Thanks that's a good amount of info. I do have a 4 blade prop . Why would u go with the action Jack vx what you have now . Just curious 

I like my Atlas JP.  I have had no problems with it at all.  The Bob's Action Series JP is a little faster, it has grease fittings so you can keep it operating smoothly in harsh conditions, and it looks awesome with the custom powder-coat colors that you can match to your boat.  Note:  the custom powder-coat will add some $$ to the total cost, above what I mentioned before.

21 hours ago, geeviam said:

I like my Atlas JP.  I have had no problems with it at all.  The Bob's Action Series JP is a little faster, it has grease fittings so you can keep it operating smoothly in harsh conditions, and it looks awesome with the custom powder-coat colors that you can match to your boat.  Note:  the custom powder-coat will add some $$ to the total cost, above what I mentioned before.

Thank you much . Happy New year !

Archived