WTB Skiff under $10k

Forgottencoast

Looking for a 16-18’ skiff under 10k. I mostly fly/sight fish but need something with a livewell to fish pilchards when they are in. I know there’s gotta be an old hewes or maverick out there that will fit this criteria. I’m located in the panhandle but willing to drive a reasonable distance for the right deal. Let me know! Thanks 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think I’m out of line...?  I’ve seen many boats here in this price range.  Everyone who is posting their older Mavericks and hewes’ for $13k has to know they are going to settle for less than that. Not trying to offend anyone or turn anyone off, I’m just being realistic. I’m obviously not made of money, and if I can’t find a skiff for this, than I just won’t buy one right now.  Just letting sellers know I have this cash in hand and am ready to buy. Thanks for the reply

I agree. Plenty of people post prices for the stars but you see them sit on the market and never find out what they really sell for. IMO plenty of people lately have been priced over ambitiously. The people that sell quickly realize the actual value.  $10k is plenty for an older and clean 16 Lappy. Good luck and post pic on what you buy.

I don't know.....$10k is borderline in my opinion. I just sold a 2006 Kenner, 90 hp Opti max with 140 hours on it, TM, all new batteries, trailer, etc. in very, very good shape for $10k. The reason it went for that low number was because it was not a Maverick, Hells Bay, Pathfinder, etc. To get that higher reputation type boat, you are going to have to look real hard and MOST importantly don't diddle if you find one or it will be long gone. Good luck.

You can find them no problem.  Check Tampa Bay craigslist. There are a handful right now.  I'd look up and down Florida, also check Offer Up.  I've seen them there as well.  For 8-9k you may have to do a little work and upgrade some electronics but you can get a good boat if you look and have cash.

FYI Hewes boats older than 1988 have lots of wood. I'd stick to 1989 and newer.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, Forgottencoast said:

I don’t think I’m out of line...?  I’ve seen many boats here in this price range.  Everyone who is posting their older Mavericks and hewes’ for $13k has to know they are going to settle for less than that. Not trying to offend anyone or turn anyone off, I’m just being realistic. I’m obviously not made of money, and if I can’t find a skiff for this, than I just won’t buy one right now.  Just letting sellers know I have this cash in hand and am ready to buy. Thanks for the reply

did not mean to offend you. agree there is always wiggle room with the price. good luck with your search. I too have to put a limit as what I can spend on things or just wait and keep searching. just don't settle to have it, have too love it so to speak. :) fin

It’s not a technical poling boat but Poles fine. 10-11” real world fishing load draft

Also that motor is likely one of most bulletproof motors made. On one of better hulls MBC made IMO...Its just a great all around inshore boat. If I was looking in your price range, it would be atop my list. Of course while I’m lil biased, I know it well as I had mine for almost 12 years. 

$10K will get you something basic....where you will get slammed is in the trailer....most 10K boats have trailers with issues.....that will cost you another $1500-2K for an axel and a new set of tires.....

Check the compression on any engine....figure you'll need to put out another $500-1K for a carb rebuild if it's been sitting for a while....same for the tank...I"d never buy a vessel without draining the fuel system and replacing all the filters....

My point.....Just be sure your $10K is the basic for the vessel.....make sure you have another $3-4K for anything that needs to be upgraded.....there are some cream puffs out there....but, you have to look hard...

I paid $11.5K for my 95 MA17 that's in perfect condition (hull etc.) but, I then put out another $5K in upgrades (clean tank, carb system, plugs, filters, new wiring, trailer, etc.).

I have the perfect skiff now for me......good luck in your quest....it's a great part of the fun !!!

DC

What kind of draft you looking for?  There are true technical poling skiffs that will cost way more than what you want to spend or you could look at an LT25 Gheenoe.  That will draft in the 4-6” range.   You could go tunnel hull like an older Pathfinder 17’. They are decent but you will get wet.  And you have to be careful with some of the older ones with stringer issues.  They draft 6-8” .  Older Mavericks will be out of your range IMO.  

2 hours ago, Forgottencoast said:

I have, it’s going to draft a little much for where/how I fish. Looks like a hell of a deal though

Archived