LENCO tabs LED switch conversion questions

FROZEN

Guys,

I’m planning my springtime projects and would like to add the LED style switch for the single ram each side, trim tabs. I’m tired of forgetting to completely raise the tabs and going miles burning gas.

Has anyone attempted this? I’ve reviewed the data on LENCOs site, and think I can accomplish without “fishing” a new harness through the hull. Is that the case?  Another question is the “Orange” wire for a tach signal. Anyone know what that is for and where do I get that signal. My PF is 2008 TE with factory tabs.

Thanks in advance for your input, and Merry Christmas to everyone !!!!!

I looked at that last year as a project and gave up on it based on the cost (I think). I say, I think, because I got conflicting response from Lenco when I called. What I finally got was the following but I am still not 100% sure:

Lenco changed their control strategy right around 2012-2013. My 2014 was in the  last group of "old". If you could find the old style led switch it would plug right in. If not a total re-wire. Bottom line I countn't find an old part number and when I looked at the cost I passed. If I oucld have found the old switch I was willing to try it for $50 but the new harness and switch was like $350.

I would sure be interested if you found anything different.

Thanks Headhunter!

I called LENCO this morning.....

Required part number to convert on my boat is 15170-001. It is “plug and play” with the caveat that I may not have the connectors and may have to clip off and hard wire. All colors will match up. Dash hole same size.

Removal of old control box will not be necessary.

Orange wire addition is required b/c of an auto retract feature that functions when the throttle is closed. It is one wire to the ingition switch. Thinking about it, it must function when the ignition is switched to off, but she specifically said “throttle”.

A quick look on the internet said the price is about $260, no tax from one vendor.

I had a bad trim tab breaker in the PF panel last year, and couldn’t find the breaker or a new panel anywhere. We jumped out the bad breaker, left it installed, and installed a new breaker hanging off the wire bundle with zip ties in the console. I’ll have to think about that and if it makes the job harder. NOTHING is never as simple as the OEM says it is!

I think it would be a nice upgrade, but at $260?.........I don’t know, maybe. I’ll be at the boat after the holidays and do some more thinking.

Merry Xmas headhunter!

Pretty sure the orange wire goes to the key switch, and if you have the Lenco box now you have an orange wire you can connect. With the orange wire connected, tabs will fully retract every time the key is turned off. No matter what position the tabs are in, they will run long enough to fully retract, it gets kinda annoying. My friend had it on his boat ended up cutting the wire. 

yeah, sounds like a great feature to never trailer with the tabs down. in reality most of the time i drop someone on the dock and never shut down before on the trailer. I had the lighted switch with auto retract on my last boat. and as stated above the auto retract gets very annoying. 

It's pretty easy mine was just plug and play using existing wires. I like the auto retract feature. when I reach my fishing area I cut the engine and deploy the Ulterra , about 50 feet fro my spot so as not to scare fish with the retractor noise. No problem still catch same amount of reds.

I chose to incorporate the LED switch into my instrument panel where the old switch was. See image below

IMG_0130.jpg

Archived