Older 17 HPX-V with F70 four stroke

Been awhile since I have posted.  I need some help/advice.  After years of great service, my 2 stroke Yamaha 90 dropped a piston yesterday.  I have two options, rebuild power hear or re-power.  I am not rich, but I can afford a re-power if I have to.  I use the boat for fly fishing charters in St. Simons, GA.  I put about 300 hours a year on a boat.

I am hesitating on the rebuild because of final adjustment issues and getting it running exactly right.

I do not like dropping from a 90 to a 70, but there seems to be no option for a re-power.

Does anyone in Georgia, South Carolina south of Charleston or in North Florida have an early 2000's HPX V that you have re-powered with a Yamaha F70.  How do you like it?  Would you let me make arrangements to ride in it and see how it performs?

I have talked to PT props, and am told I can put a prop on it that will get decent hole shot and about 35  mph at 6300 rpm.  I am not a speed demon.  Usually cruise at 25-30 mph.  But  occasionally, open her up.  I do like good handling, which is why I have a 16 PTR on my current set up.

Ok, guys, I need opinions.

15 hours ago, Rod Wrapper said:

Been awhile since I have posted.  I need some help/advice.  After years of great service, my 2 stroke Yamaha 90 dropped a piston yesterday.  I have two options, rebuild power hear or re-power.  I am not rich, but I can afford a re-power if I have to.  I use the boat for fly fishing charters in St. Simons, GA.  I put about 300 hours a year on a boat.

I am hesitating on the rebuild because of final adjustment issues and getting it running exactly right.

I do not like dropping from a 90 to a 70, but there seems to be no option for a re-power.

Does anyone in Georgia, South Carolina south of Charleston or in North Florida have an early 2000's HPX V that you have re-powered with a Yamaha F70.  How do you like it?  Would you let me make arrangements to ride in it and see how it performs?

I have talked to PT props, and am told I can put a prop on it that will get decent hole shot and about 35  mph at 6300 rpm.  I am not a speed demon.  Usually cruise at 25-30 mph.  But  occasionally, open her up.  I do like good handling, which is why I have a 16 PTR on my current set up.

Ok, guys, I need opinions.

If rebuilt properly.....it should give you many years of service...

There has to be a 5 star Yamaha dealer who can do this for you?   Call the boat center, here in FLL and ask them for an idea...they have a mechanic Klint who is 5 star qualified and is incredible......anything on my engines, from rebuild of injectors, to lower units, to new power head on my F150....over the last 12 years....has been flawless...just a thought.

A power head rebuild is not rocket science on an older engine....

dc

I've rode on the newer HPX 17V's with a 70 four stroke and was pleased with the performance.  Its not a rocket ship by any means but it got the job done.  If I was to repower my '08, I'd go with the 70 to save on weight specifically.  The smell of the stroke and noise alone are big cons in my book.  

What year is yours?  Looking over the Maverick brochures, I could not tell much weight difference between the newer vs older HPX17V's.

Archived