When to give up on a trailer

SouthernWake

I have a galvanized performance trailer that is in need of new springs, axel, and bunk hardware. There is currently a good amount (about a 6ft stretch) of rust on the inside of the beams with chunks flaking off. Other than that no issues with it.

In your opinion is this trailer worth putting the money and time into upgrading or is it worth taking that money into a new trailer? If worth rebuilding can I grind/brush the rust off and cold galvanize the areas?

No matter what you do, what upgrades or replacement of parts you try you will not be able to stop the rust issue with steel. Once it starts rusting rebuilding it is just putting off the inevitable. In my opinion HoneyB is correct. I've been there with galvanized trailers and there is no doubt how this will end sooner or later. However on the positive side, it only took me three or four cut off wheels, about half an hour and a quick call to the local metal scrap guy to pick up the pieces and it was gone....rust and all.

5 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

I have a galvanized performance trailer that is in need of new springs, axel, and bunk hardware. There is currently a good amount (about a 6ft stretch) of rust on the inside of the beams with chunks flaking off. Other than that no issues with it.

In your opinion is this trailer worth putting the money and time into upgrading or is it worth taking that money into a new trailer? If worth rebuilding can I grind/brush the rust off and cold galvanize the areas?

I just went through the process....but, I had no frame rust...my only issue was an axel going bad and torsion rusty.

Frame issues are serious......

DC

Sounds like it's time to start over. 

The tricky thing about galvanized trailers is that you can't accurately gauge the frame's condition unless you run a camera in the frame beams to inspect. Galvanized trailer beams typically rust from the inside out, much like trailer axles. 

Dino, how did u ascertain the condition of your trailer frame? 

12 minutes ago, conocean said:

The tricky thing about galvanized trailers is that you can't accurately gauge the frame's condition unless you run a camera in the frame beams to inspect. Galvanized trailer beams typically rust from the inside out, much like trailer axles. 

my question is whether it's a box beam framed or a i beam or channel frame. mine is a channel frame and i've replaced everything except the frame over a 15 yr time span. if it's a box, i doubt it's worth trying to save. they rust from the inside out. JMO.

2 hours ago, conocean said:

No rust at all anywhere on the frame, inside or out....nothing dripping..or rust spots seen...I banged on the frame as well to check for any particles coming off...

Appears to be solid.....if not, *&^%@@  IT.....it'll be a heap on the side of the road along with the skiff.....I"m done worrying about trailers....yeah yeah...should  have spent $3500 and bought a new and shiny Ameratrail.......

DC

Archived