Steering Cable REPLACE

Timeflys

I don't know if it has to come off,but I had mine replaced and the shop I used took the motor off.  I have a 2006   15ft HPX and the cable goes  through the starboard side of the deck where all the other wires come out.  I think the cable is quite stiff and makes working with the motor in place pretty impossible.  Maybe your boat is different.  I also did a motor replacement 2 yrs ago on my 20ft LT Hewes and the rigger suggested I change the steering cable as long as the motor was removed.  Good luck It's the labor not the cost of the cable.

I was going to reply when you first posted this guestion with,"Not if you change to hydraulic steering". But I thought someone might have actual experance. I would consider changing over to Hydraulic steering system. Obviously one upside, you never have to pull the motor to service the steering system.  

I changed a cable on a 15 Whaler years ago and it is just a open hull.. still had to loosen the motor to get out of the tube. I will bet you have to take the motor off but again I have no experance with that particular change out.

Archived