Trolling motor / Chargers for 23' Pathfinder

Charles

I'm finally going to add a trolling motor to my 23 pathfinder and have decided on the Riptide Ulterra 112# 60" I-Pilot.  I'll add a 4 bank charger but not sure about the need for a dc alternator on-board charger for the trolling motor batteries.  Would like some opinions on that and what kind/make of batteries to get.  Thanks

I have the Sams AGM batteries. Two group 27 for troller and one group 31 for starting/house. I went through two chargers in three years and finally settled on a Powermania. I have my batteries in the below deck compartment behind the leaning post. I think the chargers were getting too hot, because there's no ventilation. The Powermania  has an internal cooling fan to keep the charger cool.

I would go with AGMs for the reason of long life, no maintenance, and no corrosion on the terminals. I use two  group 34M. Odyssey and Northstar are the premium brands. My next battery will be a X2 power from batteries plus. They are rebadged Northstars but cheaper and with a longer warranty. 

22 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I have the Sams AGM batteries. Two group 27 for troller and one group 31 for starting/house. I went through two chargers in three years and finally settled on a Powermania. I have my batteries in the below deck compartment behind the leaning post. I think the chargers were getting too hot, because there's no ventilation. The Powermania  has an internal cooling fan to keep the charger cool.

I was planning to put the batteries in the console for that reason plus more weight in the center of the boat.  Another reason is I do find a little water in the deck compartments after heavy rains.  Does anybody disagree with my location?   4 batteries in the console will be tight.

Thanks to those that have responded!

I chose the rear compartment for the simple reason that it's not really good for anything else. The console is pretty dry, so I wanted to keep stuff in the console that I wanted to keep dry. I chose that option when they build my boat, so the wiring for everything originates in that below deck compartment behind the leaning post.  If the wiring for your trolling motor is already in the console, you might as well keep the TM batteries there.

With regard to water in the rear deck compartments, I don't think weight distribution has anything to do with that. You probably have water leaking through your latches. You might try to tighten the adjustment on the latches or you might need to replace the rubber seal in the latch. They are not absolutely water tight, but they form a "gasket" around the stem of the latch apparatus. The rubber seal can be replaced when they get warped or damaged from latching the compartment a few hundred times.

I have 3 Brute Force 34 AGM's for my Motorguide Xi5 and 2 Brute force 27 & 34 for the house.  I have been so impressed by the usage i get out of them.  I also have 2 power mania chargers a 3 bank for the troller batteries and a 2 bank for the house.  I have 3- 34's and 1- 27 under the console along with my 10gal fresh water tank but i have a v2200 with the big console. love my setup!

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

I chose the rear compartment for the simple reason that it's not really good for anything else. The console is pretty dry, so I wanted to keep stuff in the console that I wanted to keep dry. I chose that option when they build my boat, so the wiring for everything originates in that below deck compartment behind the leaning post.  If the wiring for your trolling motor is already in the console, you might as well keep the TM batteries there.

With regard to water in the rear deck compartments, I don't think weight distribution has anything to do with that. You probably have water leaking through your latches. You might try to tighten the adjustment on the latches or you might need to replace the rubber seal in the latch. They are not absolutely water tight, but they form a "gasket" around the stem of the latch apparatus. The rubber seal can be replaced when they get warped or damaged from latching the compartment a few hundred times.

You have an interesting point on the wiring for a TM.  There is a plug-in for the trolling motor in the anchor latch  but not sure where it ends.  I agree about the use of rear compartment.  I only have the bubble system in there for the bait well.   I wonder if anybody thought of putting the starting motor in the leaning post compartment and trolling motors in the console?  I'm sure it would cause some major rewiring. 

On 12/9/2017 at 4:41 PM, Charles said:

I'm finally going to add a trolling motor to my 23 pathfinder and have decided on the Riptide Ulterra 112# 60" I-Pilot.  I'll add a 4 bank charger but not sure about the need for a dc alternator on-board charger for the trolling motor batteries.  Would like some opinions on that and what kind/make of batteries to get.  Thanks

On my 2005 pathfinder...i had a 112 lb 36V system....i placed 4 DEKA 31 AGMS...it worked perfectly....lots of power all day...huge reserve.

I then tied the 1/2/all into one of the 3 batteries to the house battery on the switch...worked perfectly.

Unless you are "camping"...IMO....no need for on the run charging....unless you really want one 

Charger...I have had both Dual Pro and now ProMariner Pro....it works great !!!

dc

I use the Powermania charger as well. 

On my last boat the house battery was in the hatch behind leaning post and trollers were in console, great spot. The new boat has all 4 in console, not my favorite set up.. 

No alternator except what is coming from SHO, no need.. My batteries lasted all day yesterday, on position lock, in a heavy current.. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Major rewiring to say the least. There are some options when the boat is being built, but changing the location of the main wiring harness after a boat is built, I don't think so. So, do you have wiring attached to the TM plug?

Yes on the attached tm plug....it's in the anchor hatch.  

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:13 AM, Robert3 said:

I use the Powermania charger as well. 

On my last boat the house battery was in the hatch behind leaning post and trollers were in console, great spot. The new boat has all 4 in console, not my favorite set up.. 

No alternator except what is coming from SHO, no need.. My batteries lasted all day yesterday, on position lock, in a heavy current.. 

You didn't say why you don't like 4 batteries in the console....?  I like the idea of having both trolling and starting batteries in the console but I need access to the hull hatch to add fluid to my transducer once or twice a year....which is a pain in the butt.

12 hours ago, Charles said:

You didn't say why you don't like 4 batteries in the console....?  I like the idea of having both trolling and starting batteries in the console but I need access to the hull hatch to add fluid to my transducer once or twice a year....which is a pain in the butt.

Hi charles,

I don't like that the batts take up all the floor space in console. And we have a hatch, behind leaning post, that works as the best place IMO to put batteries, and Power Pole pumps..

Just for the record: Like I said above, I have 3 Sam's Duracell AGM batteries. Well, my boat has been on the dry rack at Stump Pass Marina for 7 weeks. That time frame is unheard-of  for me, but had some business to take care of back in Orlando. Anyway, put the boat in the water last Sunday, started right up without hesitation and I used the TM for about 3 hours and did notice a minimal loss of power.

They said these AGM's hold a charge longer then most and now I'm a believer.

Once you get Odyssey batteries and a Stealth AC/DC charging system, you will never look back! 

People that don't have on the fly charging capability don't think they need it....until they run out of juice & kick themselves for not having it. :) 

Battery life is extended when you constantly charge versus running batteries low then recharging. I know this to be true because I happen to do business with someone who is a worldwide supplier of battery technology and that's exactly what he told me.  

Archived