First Trip New Axel and Centering Bunks: Update: Continental Trailers - For Skiffs - Comments Please

Wanaflatsfish

5 hours ago, DaveC said:

Yea... I love the steps as well... its amazing how many times you find yourself leaning over the gunnel into the boat when it's on the trailer...  And I have those short legs and an old man belly so that's good for me!

Ya. Those are nice did they come on the trailer or did you add them? If you added them where did you buy them?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/10/2017 at 10:02 PM, DonV said:

Shoot Dino...all you need is a new axle and hubs? I just had two new 3500# Rockwell American torsion axles with galvanized hubs installed to replace my old spring supported axles on my 12 year old SeaCraft trailer for just at $950. I had personally replaced the springs and associated hardware three times in twelve years and said enough, I'm biting the bullet and going with torsion. Just replace what you have with a new torsion axle and go fishing. 

On 12/11/2017 at 5:32 PM, DonV said:

Dave I like the large step in front of the fender and especially the really extra large one behind the fender. When you get old we need all the area possible to put our feet when getting in and out of the boat while on the trailer!!! 9_9

I'm assuming Dino has the third 3x3 aluminum cross member on his trailer, if so it's real easy, and cheap, to build "alignment bunks" like you have!

DonV. and FSUsteve.......TOOK YOUR ADVICE.....

1.) Bonus this year not as expected......other priorities required around the house..new hot water heater and A/C unit...

2.) When I bought the boat....I immediately did the basics....replaced the winch that was bad....rewired the the trailer and added new LED's, added a new front 3rd wheel, and put on two new MAXXIS tires....overall, I spent about $500...and the trailer served me well....so, with $500 in it that was brand new....I did not want to just give it away......

3.) After Paul's advice and "Pot Stirring"...I evaluated my options...had I gotten an extra few grand on the bonus...a new Continental  would be sitting under the skiff....but, so is life....thank you Bob for the quotes....i'll be back in 5 years.....

4.) I would have gotten almost nothing for the used trailer and it's a PIA to sell one...so, I got a quote from AMES Trailer - here in FLL  for a complete new axel and centering bunks.  I have used them in the past for trailer support and they were great......

5.) The total cost was $1250...Oil bath hubs with new AXEL $550, bunks $150, parts $100 and labor....

More pics when I get to the ramp....but, here's a few pics when I picked up the skiff.

Here is the old torsion....thanks again Paul for the advice....would have gone at some time in the next year...

IMG_5664.thumb.jpg.5dbdf2888db426fa28c823cda67223be.jpg

NEW OIL BATH HUBS FROM EZ-LOADER....FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND...THEY ARE NEW AND IMPROVED AND MOST POSTS I HAVE READ IS THEY WORK WELL....BOB LEMAY IN MIAMI HAS HIS OIL BATH FOR OVER 175K MILES...NOT A PROBLEM

IMG_5667.thumb.jpg.91bf6284442c5495e6ab746e240d2ea8.jpg

CENTERING BUNKS....THE SKIFF WOULD HIT THE CROSS BAR WHEN LOADING...I'M SURE THIS WILL IMPROVED THINGS BY 100% 

IMG_5666.thumb.jpg.d27ebffdb5bc2b17707287789406e0ce.jpg

AGAIN....THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS...

LET'S GO FISHING ;)

DC

Big improvement, Dino! Trailers in sound working order are the key (for most of us) to enjoy our boats which spend 90% or more of their lives sitting on a trailer. We need trailers to get our boats to/from the water so we can enjoy them. Most of our boating experiences start & end in our driveways so we cant ever spend too much on trailer maintenance & replacing or upgrading essential parts IMO.

33 minutes ago, conocean said:

Big improvement, Dino! Trailers in sound working order are the key (for most of us) to enjoy our boats which spend 90% or more of their lives sitting on a trailer. We need trailers to get our boats to/from the water so we can enjoy them. Most of our boating experiences start & end in our driveways so we cant ever spend too much on trailer maintenance & replacing or upgrading essential parts IMO.

Yep.....thanks for being a PIA :)

Saved me a few hours on the alley in the middle of the night (LOL)....

dc

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Yep, always....$10 a piece over at Firestone...huge difference in the ride.

dc

X2. (cost me 10 bucks for all 4 at sams, might have been 10 a piece) Made big difference in how trailer pulled. I was able to bring the empty trailer and persuade them to pull them off luckily, so I didn't even have to do it myself. 

Update on Trailer:

1.) New Axel on the EZ-Loader ran over to Choko from FLL and back - 200+ miles without incident

2.) New hubs have oil bath hubs and I checked them during the trip - Ice Cold = good !!!

3.) Boat launched well....

4.) New Centering bunks worked as expected....when re-loading, they centered the hulll on the rollers and it they sat perfectly on the centerline.

5.) I loaded the bunks up with Liquid Rollers and it seemed to help on the load up....

Off the bite for a few weekends......I pimp'd the trailer - two cans of cold galv. on all the new pieces of hardware....let's see how this helps hold up the trailer for a few more years.

Tires balanced - air at 50+ PSI and we ran back and forth at 65mph.....pulled straight and easy....

All good for a $1200 repair....new axel and centering bunks installed by AMES here in FLL....

DC

Archived