First Trip New Axel and Centering Bunks: Update: Continental Trailers - For Skiffs - Comments Please

Wanaflatsfish

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, conocean said:

If $1k impacts your life so greatly then get out of boating.....now!!

Ouch.....you must be doing well brother....so, let's see what a $1K buys...

Two round trip tickets to my daughter's graduation for her Doctorate in Baltimore, or, a new water heater in my garage.....or, 3 nights in a hotel in Baltimore...the list goes on....but, it's not about the $1K....

Hmmmm spent $1K at Boat center on rebuilt lower unit last month.....I guess I should have gotten out of boating then ? :)

Hmmmmm $1000 on re-wiring and upgrades to the electrical system  and tank drain, new tires, etc. when I bought the boat.... :)

Has nothing to do with the $1K...I drop it any time...sh*&^%T I dropped $600 on a family dinner last year at thanksgiving at Casa De Angelo.....the point is that why pay $700-$1K  - or more more for something that will work....I do have other things other than fishing I need to spend $$$ on..... 

There is NO DOUBT you are 100% right...Ameri-trail is custom fit and is the "gold standard"......however, .I 've seen pics of the new, lower sitting continentals on a MA17 - it looks great....

There is a finite amount of "Money" ....each of us can spend on our hobbies....mine is coming to an end....for $3200-$3500 or whatever, I just don't see the "value" of that much money for a trailer when I have other things in my life----I fish once or twice a month...You are the one screaming at me to change my axel..and I truly appreciate your insights...NOw......if I was a guide....he#LL yeah !!! and I could write it off....but,  if I need to replace the bolts in 5 years.....no big deal...it's maintenance...just like the engine.....and I could be dead by then anyways :)

Great thread all who have contributed....keep the info coming as it's always good to have fun debate, lively conversation, a few rock throwing threads....it's how we all learn........ I know I have learned a lot from Paul on fishing, boating, and the Everglades....in fact, I owe my new boat to him as he called me when he saw it....I appriciate his, and everyone's passion....it's what makes our hobby fun...

I used to be very active on the NIKON forum when I was shooting more.......many of us on this forum, are what they called in Photography forums....PIXEL PEEPERS...meaning, the examine everything down to the PIXEL level....I was shooting Semi Pro for a few years....and I shot a NIKON D700 (at the time, the "AMERATRAIL' of cameras....I spent $2500 on the body alone at the time...another $10K in lenses and another $10K in Studio equipment....so, it's NOT about the money......BUT, when the new D800 came out it was the rage...everyone said the old 12MB D700 just wasn't enough.....HAD TO GET THE 36MB D800 or your photography would not be as good.... etc. etc.....but, again, it's not about the CAMERA...it's about who has it in their hands and how they see the shot...same here.  

Is it Rolls? If i lived in Tampa, Probably...is it Owens....yep, if I lived close....is it Continental?  Sure...I'm in Miami and they all work...just like my D700 that I still have and lenses that are 8 years old.....

We love our hobby and have passion for what "we think is best"...it's what makes this one of the best forums around.....

dc

10 hours ago, DaveC said:

Bob at Inshore hooked me up on a Continental, my 17' MA was sitting on an old Galvanized Continental that was beat to death, looked like crap but towed perfectly. It was a bit higher than I would've liked so we put another on under it and I am very happy with it so far.  Tows very well and then launches easily, it's an MA so it floats off a bit differently than an HPX but I am very happy with my decision and of Bobby for taking care of me!  

I think I saw your pics...can you post some please as a comparison...we don't have any on this thread for anyone to compare...Paul was kind enough to post pics of his MA!7 on an Ameratrailer...it would be useful to see a MA17 on the Continental.

TIA....

dc

If you get a negative wedge torsion axel , and have the boat bunks as low as possable , you will be sitting as low as any trailer , in the market .

Sprsy some liquid rollers on and , you should be able to about drylaunch the tank .

Physics aint expensive ...

It’s just basic math ..

Does’nt hurt , if your sled only weighs 1800 lbs also .

Good luck in your decision Dino .

Back to the swamp I go .

DEUCES ✌🏻

B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand (make that a few thousand in some instances!) 

I saw DaveC's MA sitting on his new Continental trailer at IMS a few times. Very customized MA! His gunnels definitely sat a few inches higher than my old MA on the Ameratrail. I like the function of being able to slide my arse on & off gunnels instead of having to use a fender step to hop up when I'm loading my boat and tinkering with it at home. But that's just me! 

Alright Dino, well at least I did a good job stirring the pot on this thread. Hopefully you won't regret not having an Ameratrail when launching and loading on a negative low tide in Choko. :) 

My second home is in the swamp! xD✌🏻

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

If you get a negative wedge torsion axel , and have the boat bunks as low as possable , you will be sitting as low as any trailer , in the market .

Sprsy some liquid rollers on and , you should be able to about drylaunch the tank .

Physics aint expensive ...

It’s just basic math ..

Does’nt hurt , if your sled only weighs 1800 lbs also .

Good luck in your decision Dino .

Back to the swamp I go .

DEUCES ✌🏻

Hey Ralf,

If I go with the Contintental...I'll bring it over the to the Shop and you can "weld" "adjustable" bunks and I'll have Welded Bunks ???

LOL......

All good info on this thread...thanks everyone....

dc

2 hours ago, conocean said:

B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand (make that a few thousand in some instances!) 

I saw DaveC's MA sitting on his new Continental trailer at IMS a few times. Very customized MA! His gunnels definitely sat a few inches higher than my old MA on the Ameratrail. I like the function of being able to slide my arse on & off gunnels instead of having to use a fender step to hop up when I'm loading my boat and tinkering with it at home. But that's just me! 

Alright Dino, well at least I did a good job stirring the pot on this thread. Hopefully you won't regret not having an Ameratrail when launching and loading on a negative low tide in Choko. :) 

My second home is in the swamp! xD✌🏻

I guess no more Negative lows for me.....I b too scared :):)

I like the function of being able to slide my arse on & off gunnels instead of having to use a fender step to hop up when I'm loading my boat and tinkering with it at home. But that's just me! 

Part of my fat guyz exercise program :) 

All good bro.....see you in Choko soon....

DC

12 hours ago, geeviam said:

I have heard that the newer low-slung Continental aluminum trailers are made well and tow well.  I have an Ameratrail and I am very happy with it.  The fit is perfect and the customer service is great!  However, I have something to say about balance and ease of towing.  We all know what can happen when a single axle trailer has too much weight in the rear and not enough tongue weight - the trailer can fish-tail and become difficult to control if the tow vehicle makes a sudden change in its track.  My boat has a heavy 4-stroke outboard hanging on an Atlas jack plate - a lot of weight behind the trailer wheels.  When I first got the Ameratrail, the tongue weight was light, even with a full tank of fuel.  To be honest, towing the boat was more stressful than it should've been, and the trailer would fish-tail even when I was careful to keep the steering wheel steady.

I called Mark at Ameratrail, and told him that I wanted to move the axle back on my trailer.  This meant that the fenders and step boards would have to be moved as well.  I would also need to replace the longer rear step boards with shorter ones.  Mark was very helpful and made me some custom rear step boards (at a good price), so that I could move the axle and the other pieces back 16 inches.  Now there is plenty of tongue weight and the trailer tows like a dream.  I can swerve to miss pot holes at any speed and the boat follows my track like it's on rails.  Attached are the before and after pics of my trailer.  After the pics were taken, I added another cross member and roller for additional support under the forward bulkhead.  Once again, Ameratrail support was great and they made me a custom-sized cross member and made sure to send all the needed bolts and parts along with it.

Trailer-a_before.jpg

Trailer-b_after.jpg

Seems like you could have just moved the boat forward a couple of inches and lowered your hitch by a inch or so and you have been fine. Did you measure the tongue weight at different attitudes before the change?

5 hours ago, NCTribute said:

Seems like you could have just moved the boat forward a couple of inches and lowered your hitch by a inch or so and you have been fine. Did you measure the tongue weight at different attitudes before the change?

I tried both of your ideas but it was not enough for my setup.  Besides, I need the trailer to ride level or higher at the hitch because my driveway is steep with a dip at the bottom.  The fixed, welded bunks are custom made (contoured) to fit the curves of the hull.  Great fit, but not forgiving if you want to move the boat forward on the trailer.

Shoot Dino...all you need is a new axle and hubs? I just had two new 3500# Rockwell American torsion axles with galvanized hubs installed to replace my old spring supported axles on my 12 year old SeaCraft trailer for just at $950. I had personally replaced the springs and associated hardware three times in twelve years and said enough, I'm biting the bullet and going with torsion. Just replace what you have with a new torsion axle and go fishing. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:45 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

I think I saw your pics...can you post some please as a comparison...we don't have any on this thread for anyone to compare...Paul was kind enough to post pics of his MA!7 on an Ameratrailer...it would be useful to see a MA17 on the Continental.

TIA....

dc

Sure thing, I think that Bob at IMS may have a couple of pics but nevertheless here you have it!  IMG_1169.JPG.446b357a748ea3a06f33b25cd6ae9dce.JPGIMG_0814.thumb.JPG.2dc0227721325f5b8959ea00817e61bf.JPG

Dave I like the large step in front of the fender and especially the really extra large one behind the fender. When you get old we need all the area possible to put our feet when getting in and out of the boat while on the trailer!!! 9_9

I'm assuming Dino has the third 3x3 aluminum cross member on his trailer, if so it's real easy, and cheap, to build "alignment bunks" like you have!

20 hours ago, DonV said:

Dave I like the large step in front of the fender and especially the really extra large one behind the fender. When you get old we need all the area possible to put our feet when getting in and out of the boat while on the trailer!!! 9_9

I'm assuming Dino has the third 3x3 aluminum cross member on his trailer, if so it's real easy, and cheap, to build "alignment bunks" like you have!

Yea... I love the steps as well... its amazing how many times you find yourself leaning over the gunnel into the boat when it's on the trailer...  And I have those short legs and an old man belly so that's good for me!

Archived