First Trip New Axel and Centering Bunks: Update: Continental Trailers - For Skiffs - Comments Please

Wanaflatsfish

Looking at all the various - Rolls, Ramblin, Ameritrailer.....given that I learned just yesterday Bob at Inshore Marine  is a dealer (I know I'll get perfect customer service as this is just Bob), I wanted any real world  or friends of real-world, who have had Continental for a skiff and how the trailer lasted...

I'd be going first class - with ALL Aluminum, LED's, all Stainless components, Torsion, etc...so, I'm just curious about how the axels held up, or other issues.

Please provide experiences or preferences....

DC

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continentals are built by Waterland supply out of Doral.  Nice trailer for the money.  A good friend of mine ordered his from Trailer Depot near Tamiami Airport.  It was around $1800-$1900 for a 18.5' Wahoo.  Torsion Axle, 15" rims and tires, full stainless package, LED lights etc.  Only thing he didn't get was welded bunks. Fit and finish is nice. The trailer is about three years old now and still looks brand new. 

I have one under mine.  It is a 2005 and still going.  I did redo bunks and supports a few years ago and I am going to need a new axle soon.  I pretty sure it was all original from 2005.  I think a lot of trailers come with same axles as that are on the Continentals, Tie Down.

My boat came with the continental AS1630b trailer when new in 2008. I had the torsion axle, aluminum hardware and 14" wheels. I replaced the axle last year because of surface rust (just made me uneasy, probably would have lasted longer). I did not get the welded bunks but wish I had as they need to be replaced now too. It is 9 years old and gets rinsed with vinegar water every fishing trip and the hubs greased with regular services.

One more thing, it came with plastic bunks which will rub through your gel coat in a couple years if you power load you boat. I would advise against them. 

1 hour ago, conocean said:

Hard to believe you're still deciding on this, Dino. Go with an Ameratrail for the perfect fit & welded bunks, you will never regret it! 

ps.

Don't count on any dealer to do anything but refer you to the trailer company representative if there are issues with the trailer. 

Bob @ Inshore Marine - Had a price within 15 minutes.....what does that tell you :)

I still do not have a quote from Boat Center - 2 days :(

Not disagreeing...just don't have anything to compare....

Rolls - $2700 - don't want to drive 4 hours each way and leave the boat - no dealers....

Rambling - they tell me to call HellsBAy or ECC or Beavertail - to order a "skiff" trailer.....no one has called back yet

Ameratrail - still waiting

dc

1 hour ago, lurem said:

My boat came with the continental AS1630b trailer when new in 2008. I had the torsion axle, aluminum hardware and 14" wheels. I replaced the axle last year because of surface rust (just made me uneasy, probably would have lasted longer). I did not get the welded bunks but wish I had as they need to be replaced now too. It is 9 years old and gets rinsed with vinegar water every fishing trip and the hubs greased with regular services.

One more thing, it came with plastic bunks which will rub through your gel coat in a couple years if you power load you boat. I would advise against them. 

9 years...not bad...I could be dead by then :)

dc

I had a Continental Trailer originally under my 2200V.  I replaced it with an Ameratrail.  I want to be clear, there is nothing wrong with a Contenental trailer, they are reasonably priced, but it's not close in quality to an Ameratrail.

I'm still running the original brakes and haven't fixed one light in 8 years on my Ameratrail.

Ameratrail!

Last weekend I blew a tire on 75 coming home from the Everglades. In the process I lost my fender, wheel well liner, side step rail, and tail lights. I called Ameratrail on Monday and had the replacement parts to my house on Tuesday. Took 20 minutes to bolt back.

Extremely impressed with their customer service.

Peterson Trailers has built my last three trailers for me. He only builds with SS bolts & hardware, torsion axles, aluminum bunks, double bend I-beams, top of the line all the way. Family business and good people, however they are on the wrong side of the state from you. They have done quite a bit of work for Beavertail Skiffs and export A LOT of trailers to Australia. There is not too much difference in the top line trailers, they all get their torsion axles from the same company, aluminum from the same suppliers, same LED lights, etc. Go with the guys close to you with the best price and compare "apples to apples". If no one has called back yet....move on!!!

9 hours ago, DonV said:

Go with the guys close to you with the best price and compare "apples to apples". If no one has called back yet....move on!!!

I hear ya........never have understood how a "potential" customer calls, and you don't call back within a day with a "quote".

I'm not in a rush as I will be buying in January, but........

DC

16 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Bob @ Inshore Marine - Had a price within 15 minutes.....what does that tell you :)

It tells me that Bob has the Continental trailer price list on his desk! :)

Continental makes a good product, there's no doubt. As I told you, I've had a Continental under the HPXT as well as a Loadmaster and EZ Loader. They're all good but none of them fit my Mavericks like an Ameratrail

Notice how the bunks on Ralph's trailer stick out 2' behind the rear crossbar? My Ameratrail bunks are situated just past my rear crossbar therefore the boat sits "inside" of the trailer footprint and lower. Also, the step behind the wheel well on his trailer is half the size of mine, which makes a difference when getting in & out of the boat while working on it at home, loading gear, etc. And there's no need for a forward roller when you have a custom built trailer to the specs of your hull. I'm just saying. 

I wouldn't be overly concerned about not getting a quote back in 2 or 3 days when you're not buying until next month but that's just me. Why not buy a trailer that fits your hull perfectly? 

Sorry, I love stirring the pot when it comes to trailers! xD

Here are the pics of my old 17MA resting on its Ameratrail in 2010 before I sold her. Fit like a glove!  

P9120001.thumb.JPG.d32dc4b6e0e21f52991e2db61025664e.JPGP9120002.thumb.JPG.585e7545529a41c7bc182a6bc8ae3c09.JPGP9120003.thumb.JPG.f247ff546158292b4f9be12ed46cd879.JPGP9120004.thumb.JPG.ecce12975e588b0699c48c63203adc9c.JPG

P9120005.thumb.JPG.d013bb037262a9e57eedaaa653bd08af.JPG

ps. Bob replaced the trailer mounted LED lights with the pipe lights a few months before I sold her. I can't say it was a bad idea but the trailer mounted lights gave me almost 5 years of trouble-free use. 

You can't fairly compare price when it comes to custom fit (Ameratrail) or custom work (like Ralph does). 

Has it really been two days since you called Boat Center to request the Ameratrail quote? I think knot. C'mon Dino!! xD 

Ameratrail isn't a large manufacturer that supply their dealers with a price list for all their models, especially a custom trailer for a hull design that isn't made anymore. I remember it took 3 or 4 days to get my Ameratrail quote then the trailer was ready for delivery 3 weeks later. It was well worth the wait. 

Archived