whichwaysup

Learn from my mistakes - Insurance Learnings

Here are two,

1)  http://fullthrottlepowerboats.com/about-full-throttle/ Jack Barsh   Does fiberglass work.   Jack is the one that did Boattronics Pathfinder in North Florida. He did a post on it here a while back.

2)  I have used Ben @ boat doctor in Tampa (He builds http://sheaffermarine.com/) for my screw ups and am pleased with the results.

• Like 1

The surveyor was correct....this is not an uncommon problem. "Things" happen while certain boats are being built that come to light after that boat is used. I've seen it dozens of times. 

Getting a pre-purchase survey and/or inspection on any piece of property you buy (land, home, plane, auto, boat, rv, etc) can be well worth the money! 

Click on the link in my signature and call Bob @ IMS. Also, try calling Ricky @ Scarborough Boatworks to see if he knows anyone in NC. Tell Ricky that Paul @ Merritt's referred you. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

I realized I never showed the external view of the crack - I marked the edges of it with the black - you can see it runs about 11' from just in front of the port trim tab forward, right along the strake.  

20171204_102353.jpg

20171204_102356.jpg

That bunk could be flexing and allowing that bunk mount to really push into the hull? I had a boat hull get damaged years ago from improper trailer setup.

Well darn guess it doesn’t hurt to ask

Maybe I missed it, but do you think it can be fixed from outside? Or think the cap has to come off?  Also don’t remember if I mentioned this on this thread or another:

I looked at a Pathfinder last summer that had a delaminated stringer repaired at factory. I assumed the cap had been pulled off and stringer fixed but when I called to ask them about it they told me that it had been repaired from outside. They said that was normal for the repair due to the difficulty pulling the cap. I was a lil shocked but he told me they never had one come back after the repair

I don't understand how they get a proper bond by injecting something into the damaged stringer?  Sounds like a quick fix too me.

Just a short story from the seller's perspective. Several years ago I briefly owned an 18MA (about six months). I bought it without a full survey; just visual inspection and mechanic's engine check.

It was a beautiful boat but ended up being just a bit too small for my needs so I put it on here and on Boat Trader. A nice young guy came to look, made me a verbal offer, we went for a ride, done deal.

I strongly suggested to him he check the boat out, bring a mechanic, etc. I had told him 100% the truth about how long I owned the boat and why I was selling, and that I was not comfortable making any promises or assurances since I had owned it for such a short time and put maybe 20 hours on it.

When he came back to do the deal he brought his father-in-law and, again, I strongly suggested they check the boat out. They said "No, we're good." Paid me cash, signed the papers, and away they went.

A week later I get a call and a text from the young guy showing a bow-to-stern crack along the inside of one of the chines - very similar looking to the pic posted by the OP, although smaller and harder to see because it was inside facing the keel.

I've sold a few boats and this has never happened. What do I do? Was the crack there when I sold it to him and we both missed it? Did he hit something in the week he owned the boat and cause the crack?

In the end, I helped him find a glass guy and paid half the $1000 "repair." I still wonder if I did the right thing, but it felt right.

A survey could have provided clarity for both of us.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, justfish said:

Well darn guess it doesn’t hurt to ask

Maybe I missed it, but do you think it can be fixed from outside? Or think the cap has to come off?  Also don’t remember if I mentioned this on this thread or another:

I looked at a Pathfinder last summer that had a delaminated stringer repaired at factory. I assumed the cap had been pulled off and stringer fixed but when I called to ask them about it they told me that it had been repaired from outside. They said that was normal for the repair due to the difficulty pulling the cap. I was a lil shocked but he told me they never had one come back after the repair

.My PF had the issue many years ago.......they know exactly where the stringers are placed to the inch and they use some type of super bond liquid weld....a series of small holes are made and they literally pump several gallons of the product along the stringers....repair the outside of the hull....and it was rock solid 

But, again....MBC stood 100% behind the problem and wanted my 100% satisfaction.....this is why I have now owned 4 MBC boats.

Kudos to Scott, Skip, Ray and the team.....

DC

Was that under warranty ? 

Since they closed the repair shop, I doubt they will do anything for this being out of warranty even if someone wanted to pay. Maybe they can provide a diagram of stringers or something for a repair guy

43 minutes ago, justfish said:

Was that under warranty ? 

Since they closed the repair shop, I doubt they will do anything for this being out of warranty even if someone wanted to pay. Maybe they can provide a diagram of stringers or something for a repair guy

Yes, it was under warranty.....

Check with the factory...there were some local guyz years ago in Ft. Pierce / Vero who were specializing on MHP boats for out of warranty repair and upgrades....

dc