Some inshore grouper action

linesider 159

Stopped targeting reds and such and have really enjoyed finding shallow grouper. Went out of Anclote yesterday in about 20 foot and did okay. I didn't have any numbers so just idled around until I found some stuff. Caught this keeper in about 3 hours of fishing. The lizard fish and seabass were a hassle trolling over a larger group of rocks we found, which I guarantee hold grouper. Picked up a 25 inch lizardfish which was crazy. Fun day with some nice weather. This year has been good, located a new spot in 10 foot, some areas in upper bay, and now have some stuff in Tarpon. Really enjoying something different and challenging

IMG_20171126_195822_391.jpg

Always take bait. The grass can mess up your plans at times. Also we have made a habit of running a 4 foot leader off a swivel. When we catch one it goes to ice with the plug and all. Unsnap and deploy another rig. Ticked off gags and treble hooks are a bad combo. Just a matter of time before you get attached to one in a bad way.

The plugs are a lot of fun.

We fished both. The keepers came on big sand grunts the size of your hand. When i cleaned them they had cut threadfins in them they had stole from us.

I refuse to go grouper digging without some select live bait. It will keep you from having clean ice on days that are tough. Takes us no time at the key to hook and line big ones. A little squid and gold hooks. I am a firm believer that slowly lowering a big live bait absolutely drives a big gag nuts as he see it descending.  Too many time when that bait gets close to the bottom have I had to lock up the reel and get ready to rumble.

Archived