Skids on a LT20 trailer

• 11 months later...

my boat is in the shop and I cant take new pics for you. I am not happy with the way mine sits on the trailer. maybe others with LT20's can post pics of their trailer setup and how the boat sits on it. here are pics I had. not sure they give any better perspective.Jason

image_zpse1e0d874.jpgimage_zps6f9a7582.jpg

I had trouble with my LT20 as well. I have rollers. with the hull sitting between the tires, the margin for error is tiny.

I tossed some of those Side Pole things on a few weeks ago. Took it out yesterday and she set on the trailer dead center. I will need to do this a couple more times to be sure it was not luck....

But she usually kicks to one side.....Just enough to bug me going down the road....

If she sat above the tires, I'd care much less as to how close to center she sat.

The good news is I can launch at really shallow boat ramps.

the new trailer i had made late last year had mine sitting where the bunks sit just to the side of the chines... and now i have a 4 bunk vs. the older one that had 6 bunks... the trailer works incredibly and i couldn't be more happy..

i can launch at very shallow or deep ramps, and never get the hubs wet, as it just pushes right off... then i winch it back on. coating the bunks with silicon helps.

i would think you would want the bunks or skids to sit on the flattest parts of the hull, and be flat to that part when riding. and that the chines aren't sitting in screwy places on the bunks... can you adjust the bunks or are they welded?

• 3 months later...

Squidmotion, do you have any pictures of your current trailer and the bunk arrangement? I need to correct my trailer as well. Im interested in seeing the trailer without the boat on it, and with the boat on it so i can see where the bunks meet the boat.

For the LT 20

The outside bunks sit just outside of the outer most chines. The inside edge of each bunk should be 1" farther out than the chine on each side of boat. That will keep the boat within 2" of center at all times. I think those bunks are about 8' long.

The 2 inner bunks should sit under the stringers They are about 24" apart. Check this by looking in the forward pie plate in the console. The center floor fuel tank access panel is a fw inches narrower than stringers.

Run the inner bunks along the flat just before the second chine from keel on each side. You could run the bunks just outside of these chines if desired. The inner bunks are about 12' long.

A buddies has the inner bunks at the 1st chines, it works fine but ideally they should be under the stringers.

The inner bunks will guide the boat on centered.

Hit the trailer then let the boat settle a second then push it up to the winch stand. If the trailer is not too deep in the water the boat will stay centered even in wind/current.

Have the outer bunks at least 1" out past the transom and the inners come back to the start of the seachest. This will support the transom where most of the weight is.

My trailer did not have inner bunks. I added the inner bunks and 2 X-members.

If you are recarpeting or making bunks take the time to round the edges and ends of the boards with a router. Makes it easier to let the boat center itself and with no sharp edges that tend to cut the carpet.

I spent a few hours on a creeper planning out the addition of the inner bunks. I know i have forgot a few points of setting the bunks up so i may add to this thread as my addled mind releases the info.

Get rid of that hard plastic on the forward keel support. Over time it gets harder and gouges the keel. Been there and paid my gl*** buddy to fix the damage.

Squid has a great looking trailer!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would run some longer bunks outside the ones shown in that 2nd pic.

Have the bunks sit on the flat between the outer side of the boat and the chine.

Use a 2X6 about 8' long you will get better support.

Think about going down the road, the boat hull is only on a small support area. The bumps in the road will make the hull flex if you do not have enough support area.

More bunk area lets the boat slide on and off easier too.

thanks... it's a fabulous trailer... i've put a good many miles on it in a year. this photo is when i was applying the sharkhide.

by keeping liquid rollers on the bunks, i can dry launch the boat (even beach launched it once) with this trailer.. the hubs never get wet. what is not shown in these photos is the extra roller they put on the back to make it even easier for dry launching.

can't recommend the guys at Coastline enough. if you live in Texas, i don't think you could find a better trailer.

it does sit nice an low inside the trailer.

1391556556-med_1354804242-IMG_2061.jpg.e

ok... did find some photos of how it sits on the trailer... sorry for the delay in this, you should have sent me a message!

not sure how much help these will be, but my boat resides down at the coast, and not in the back yard any longer.

anyway, keep in mind that this isn't an LT20, but it should be about the same for any boat... lots of support around the keel, then towards the back, on the flat part of the hull, using the chine to keep it aligned, but not tight.

also, you don't want the bunk to extend out past the hinge on the trim tabs.. ask me how i know this. :)

1391557390-img_2094.jpg.00bc01bca9ba2b44

1391557396-img_2105.jpg.7c1c86b3bdca4846

1391557402-img_2092.jpg.8efa0b5666d554de

Archived