Boat Shopping - Motor Hours

eFlat

Hello Everyone,

In the market for a new-to-me boat.  Narrowed the search to a Master Angler 18.5.

Well maintained VMax 150 showing no issues on diagnostics with 1000 hrs anything to be concerned with, or is this a just stay away.    

I know this is an opened ended question, but greatly appreciate any and all opinions.  Don't know if 1000hrs on these motors is reaching end of life and anything past is luck.

What year on both? I'm assuming the diagnostics included a compression test? Plus is the owner using top quality oil, frequent water pump changes, etc.. I would not worry too much about the 1000 hr mark if it's passed all the normal "diagnostics". I've got 1100 hours on an '03 225 EFI Merc and it still has 110 -115 on all cylinders and runs perfect (even though I just replaced it and it's on an engine stand). 

Average person does 100 hours a year. My F150 has 1040 hours and it's an 06. They can do it. It's not like a Chevrolet from the 50s with 100k on the clock. Check compression and ask for maintenance records. Get an oil sample of the gear case and check or metal shavings and water. 

Are you looking at the blue 18 that was a guide boat?

1000 hours would not scare me if the motor was taken care of and not run to the pins all the time.  I'm not sure if you can get a read out of hours and rpm from the ECM on that motor.

i would do a compression check and crack open the bottom screw of the lower unit to make sure it's not full of water or coal black.

Greatly appreciate everyone's advice.  Will definitely get a mech's evaluation before I pull the trigger.   

Nag - yeah, ran into a blue 18 today in Naples that was a guide boat.   Probably the same one; not sure it's still on the market though.  

There is a '12 18 hpx on this site that's got my attention too, but the MA seems like a more stable platform for up here in NE FL.   

8 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Anytime you are looking at a boat of that year range factor in some repairs to the motor. Over 800 I factor repower/rebuild even though they can go much longer

Agree....discount the price if you can for specific known issues, like Yamaha 150hp harmonic balancer issues if it applies to your motor ( I have no idea if VMAX is affected). Spend money to find that and other issues.

I bought a used F250 about a year ago. It had 980 hours on it. After the pre purchase mechanic inspection, including comp test, exhaust leak down, etc., I took it home to FL and immediately took it to a PF dealer, to do another 1000 hr service. Previous owner had done one too. I did not adjust the valves as called for, but everything else including timing belt. Added was a bore scope of what they could see in the exhaust system. Doesn’t cover 100%, but what they saw was clean for corrosion.These inspections were expensive and after my purchase, but I was determined to have a known starting point for the motor.

I am changing the fluids every 50 hours, b/c a CG macininery chief told me they do 50 hour changes and they get 3000-5000 hours on an F250. Haven’t decided if I’m going to continue, but for now I will. Test drive with a good mechanic.

With due diligence, I was not afraid of a “so-called” high time motor. Time will tell, but so far so good.

Good luck!

Archived