Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robert3

Yamaha 2300HPS

Recommended Posts

I have been having a string of problem with my 2300HPS's 250 SHO engine, it was the 1st year for the SHO (2010) and was engineered with three main crank bearing and because of this, at 750 hours and 2 year out of warranty, the thrust bearing Wore and caused 1/4"+ of endplay in the crank, and put pcs. all through the Lube system. Not only that but is made one of the bores out of round causing the oil ring to miss scrapping the oil off the bore. IT started suddenly, 45 miles from home, smoking at idle, burning oil. I did a bunch of debug work myself and concluded it was a stuck ring. Nope, not so easy.. As it turned out it had worn through the Thrust bearing and put metal all through engine, and causing it smoke terribly, .. Tons more about this... 

I took the boat to a mechanic as I couldn't figure how to fix it, and he knew right away what the problem was.. He has seen it before on early SHO's.. They presented this to Yamaha, and because of the owner going to bat for me, he got the power head replacement mostly covered.. Never have I been this lucky.. 


we decided to re-power with a new SHO, albeit much improved. The cost of the engine, and the new gauges, and steering sys, was only 18K less than a new 2300HPS with all the bells and whistles.. 6 year warranty on the Yammy. Last day was yesterday, till the next promotion.. 

So now we bought a new boat.. 1st ever as I always buy used..(including the current 2300HPS) The residual value was great on my old, with the PH being covered by Yamaha, I was able to work it out.. This is my second MBC product, and if this new one was anything like the my 1st one, we have a lot of good times coming. From a fishing standpoint, i love the bow and aft casting decks, the speed of the boat has got me outta sticky situations. The low draft has too, you know, the pucker factor? 

we have had good experiences with the dealer network and home office as well. The color of the new boat (50 Shds gray)will help cutting time consuming gelcoat maintenance, which I did twice a season on the black boat..

Now to outfit her, thinking Garmin, Action Welding, Fusion

IMG_5542.thumb.jpg.f5061cd784604ef02f820e2670c1b989.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great story, except for the PH failure.  I think we are all going to be jealous of your misfortune!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I am now anticipating delivery.. It seems days go by so slowly, when you're waiting.. I know the PH failure is fairly rare for the SHO, it seems only 2010 models are failing and along with the steering arm rusting and the PT/PT ram's pin is rusted, so that it looks like it fused forever.. The steering arm problem is well known and I am worried about it with the new engine as well. Yamaha wouldn't cover that, it was too far out of warranty. They mentioned, I was offered an extended warranty, that i didn't buy. $3500 seemed too expensive. In hindsight, if I had paid for the warranty I would have still been out the Extended warranty, but they said they would be more inclined to cover steering arm issue.. It is like a tax for Yamaha, pay this fee and we got your back.. 

Anyway good company offered to cover PH.. And we parlayed this into a new sled and extended warranty on the SHO.. 

Now, Black Friday is here and I am buying a NAV/Sonar today, decent discounts and sales. I can't decide which to buy.. Simmrad, Garmin, Raymarine.. I currently use Simrad NSS7& Garmin 740.. These stepped hulls are a PIA to rig for "at speed" data. We are mounting 1 xducer, thru hull in front of step and a transom mounted one as well for CHIRP, ect... for slow speed data..

I love this site, and have been keeping up, and contributing since 2011. Good guys here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to here about your motor trouble, but it seems that everything turned out good for you. I have a 2013 and also had the steering arm trouble and the pivot tube and tilt tube had never been greased. Got all that replaced under warranty and no problem since that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Sorry to here about your motor trouble, but it seems that everything turned out good for you. I have a 2013 and also had the steering arm trouble and the pivot tube and tilt tube had never been greased. Got all that replaced under warranty and no problem since that time.

THanks, but it''ll all work out.. Just got trolling motor and Nav. sys today, I am using UE boom speakers, and a USB,  for Bluetooth music. I never listen to music while fishing, it spooks the *** out them. And now I have trailer!!! Yey!!! I can go to the keys and New England in the summer. Plus getting it off the lift for storm season doesn't hurt. I know yours is newer than mine as

I followed your posts and procedure for installing the thru hull xducer. I am having that done, with a new multi band thru hull xduser not even announced yet, coming out Jan1stish.. I met with the local Navionics Rep..  

And yes Yamaha has changed the Metals around the steering system, so not too bad for the future..

I am a maintenance nut, so this boat has good things coming, and this pays off big time!! I got a fabulous trade residual, it enabled me to do this.. 

Thanks for the comments. I'll post up here when I get it with my review.. 

See ya

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note:

I was outfitting the boat with new trolling motor. Has anyone ever used a 72" version on the low bow of the 23HPS.

I was thinking it would help from jumping the motor out of the water in a 2' chop, I spooked a school of fish that way.. Everyone has told me to go with 60", but I pose the question here?

Any downside to this set-up, I already know of one: When retracted, the head of the unit would hang a good bit over the edge of the gunwale. Any other thoughts?

 

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a 60" Ulterra would be a good choice.  It would give you the ability to lower the trolling motor deeper in the water when you are fishing in a chop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunstone said:

I've got a 60" on my 23 hps and if it's coming out of the water when lowered all the way down it's too rough for me anyway. 

Exactly!!!!!!  I have a 60" hand control, with a 30" long extension handle. I can run the motor all the way down and still steer. Anything longer than 60" will probably interfere with the rod locker lid and or hang over the front and side of the boat. My 60" is completely within the boundaries of the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrific you guys, that is a ton of help.

Decided to get Rohdan 36v, 60" instead of 72", on the 72" the head hangs over the gunwale when retracted.

I heard yesterday, the boat is in the rigging stage now and will be ready to go next week. 

Another decision is whether to go with a tee top or not. I never had one on my other boats and i loved it, BUT, summers are quite warm around here and a little respite from the sun might be nice. I never liked them, since i am a fly fisherman, an nothing worse than having the adrenalin flowing and tarpon rolling around you, and having the fly line and or fly rod hit the Tee top when trying for a long dbl haul cast. Plus, It limits where I can can cast to one angle, whether it is into the wind or not. 

Any opinions are really appreciated.. Everyone that has PF boat around here has a tee top! I am defiantly in the minority.

Any ideas where to store a trailer for a few months around fort Myers area? I found a place, 52/month, stored outside in the weather. Gonna be great to get out of this brown water using the trailer.. 

Is there anyone on here that trailers over to the keys from FM area? I plan to, for sure.. 

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.. 

Sincerely,

 Rob

BTW- any comment either way regarding the gray powder coat? I am a little worried that it'll be a maintenance nightmare.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have Igloo cooler from under the leaning post, that has been stored in my attic since 2011 $100. A Garmin 740S that came off the 2010, $250.00 An older Navionics Plat+ marine chart # 906p+, Florida and Bahama's.. for sale $50.00 , I don't know if this is can be updated or not.. Probably not

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the TM....if the 60" is too short to fish out front in a chop.....buy the 72" and cut the shaft to your needed length. I'm running a 60" MK112 on my 22 Pathfinder, and when Tarpon or Tripletail fishing on beachfront my boat rocks a good bit...anything shorter than 60" would be too short for that fishing...the motor would spend a lot of time out of the water...sounding like a egg beater....however in the creeks a 52" would be fine. Oh well....that fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW- any comment either way regarding the gray powder coat? I am a little worried that it'll be a maintenance nightmare.. 

 

Don't understand your concerns, I have white on mine boat is almost 3 years old looks like new not a chip.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sunstone said:

BTW- any comment either way regarding the gray powder coat? I am a little worried that it'll be a maintenance nightmare.. 

 

Don't understand your concerns, I have white on mine boat is almost 3 years old looks like new not a chip.   

I have only had to naked metal look. Not PDR coated.. Glad to hear it holds up well.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robert3 said:

Terrific you guys, that is a ton of help.

Decided to get Rohdan 36v, 60" instead of 72", on the 72" the head hangs over the gunwale when retracted.

I heard yesterday, the boat is in the rigging stage now and will be ready to go next week. 

Another decision is whether to go with a tee top or not. I never had one on my other boats and i loved it, BUT, summers are quite warm around here and a little respite from the sun might be nice. I never liked them, since i am a fly fisherman, an nothing worse than having the adrenalin flowing and tarpon rolling around you, and having the fly line and or fly rod hit the Tee top when trying for a long dbl haul cast. Plus, It limits where I can can cast to one angle, whether it is into the wind or not. 

Any opinions are really appreciated.. Everyone that has PF boat around here has a tee top! I am defiantly in the minority.

Any ideas where to store a trailer for a few months around fort Myers area? I found a place, 52/month, stored outside in the weather. Gonna be great to get out of this brown water using the trailer.. 

Is there anyone on here that trailers over to the keys from FM area? I plan to, for sure.. 

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.. 

Sincerely,

 Rob

BTW- any comment either way regarding the gray powder coat? I am a little worried that it'll be a maintenance nightmare.. 

Congrats on the new rig!!

I put the Rhodan 60" 36 volt on my 2500. Wish I'd have gone with the 72". I called Rhodan the other day to see if they can change out the shafts and was informed that it is impossible. The lower unit and the shaft are bonded in such a way that they are one forever after. Unfortunate for me.  Lesson learned. Even with the head hanging over the gunnel I'd take the 72".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

Congrats on the new rig!!

I put the Rhodan 60" 36 volt on my 2500. Wish I'd have gone with the 72". I called Rhodan the other day to see if they can change out the shafts and was informed that it is impossible. The lower unit and the shaft are bonded in such a way that they are one forever after. Unfortunate for me.  Lesson learned. Even with the head hanging over the gunnel I'd take the 72".

 

Really, This is killing me... Although the 2500 is taller in the water,  the 60" one would bounce out of the water? I went over to see it today as it is being rigged, the quick release was mounted, but the motor was sitting on the floor.. I wonder if it is plug and play between the 60" and 72" ? Hummmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 inch has worked well for me I fish my 23 offshore without any issues. If the 60 is deployed all the way down and the sea state is causing it to blow out

you would have a hard time fishing anyway. As far as the 2500 goes if you do not mount the 60 correctly it will limit the rod locker door from opening all the way

so the 72 would have to be angled over the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

60 inch has worked well for me I fish my 23 offshore without any issues. If the 60 is deployed all the way down and the sea state is causing it to blow out

you would have a hard time fishing anyway. As far as the 2500 goes if you do not mount the 60 correctly it will limit the rod locker door from opening all the way

so the 72 would have to be angled over the side.

This is what most people have said. 60" is fine. I have had my old one blow out, a few times and it spooks everything within a mile.

Thanks for the input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChrisB said:

60 inch has worked well for me I fish my 23 offshore without any issues. If the 60 is deployed all the way down and the sea state is causing it to blow out

you would have a hard time fishing anyway. As far as the 2500 goes if you do not mount the 60 correctly it will limit the rod locker door from opening all the way

so the 72 would have to be angled over the side.

I spend quite a bit of time offshore. There have been several days that are fishable but bumpy. The 60" shaft definitely cavitates long before I would consider conditions to be difficult to fish. Moving anglers forward does help alleviate this to some degree. I do see where a longer shaft would impede the port locker from fully opening if mounted at an improper angle. When I wear this one out I will absolutely put a 72 on there. Having it hang out over the side a little doesn't cause any issues for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

I spend quite a bit of time offshore. There have been several days that are fishable but bumpy. The 60" shaft definitely cavitates long before I would consider conditions to be difficult to fish. Moving anglers forward does help alleviate this to some degree. I do see where a longer shaft would impede the port locker from fully opening if mounted at an improper angle. When I wear this one out I will absolutely put a 72 on there. Having it hang out over the side a little doesn't cause any issues for me. 

I totally get it.. Mine has done this, it isn't to difficult to fish, just a little lumpy.. Most of my fishing is done in the back waters, but in the spring with tarpon and snook cruising. I am off the beaches Floundering around a cavitating troller. Just need both I guess for those certain days ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the 72 helping on the 2500 if your not worried about the overhang.

Now on the 23 if the 60 is coming out of the water I"m heading to the barn not that mad at them anymore :D

If fishing with the troll motor down I"m usually standing on the anchor hatch which helps a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×