Fishfinder/Chartplotter HELP!

VS-MasterAngler

I'm in the market for a new Fishfinder/Chartplotter and need some advice/ help, please! I fish inshore 99% of the time and would like a 7-9 inch screen at $500 or less for the unit and transducer... I'm keeping mind it's probably going to cost me $200+ or - to have it installed. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

I did see that West Marine is having a Black Friday sale and are offering two units that look interesting to me:

1.  Lowrance HOOK- 7" DownScan with transducer for $329 but then I would have to buy a chart chip (think the chips are about $200)

2. Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 74CV  7" with ClearVU transducer and preloaded with BlueChart g2 HD Coastal Cartography (So I wouldn't need a chip)

What are you thoughts on these two units or do you have any other recommendations in the 7-9" under $500 range!? 

Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving!

I have a Garmin 54 DV on my HPXV 15. It is a 5" version of the 74. It's a good unit, given the limitations of the Garmin charting software. You can check the Garmin website for the manuals, including installation instructions. If you own a screwdriver and a drill, you can likely install the unit and transducer yourself and save a little money.

As said above, if you own a tool of any kimd you can install yourself. Very easy. Only challenge is pulling wite and connecting but that just involves a fish tape for the ducer and connecting the pos and neg.  you can prettu the cord at transom up with starboard and fancy up the bracket at the CC to add some difficulty but the basic stiff is simple. 

I have a 73sv. Bought a chip for glades. Mapping in the rivers isnt great. The sideview is very nice even in shallow areas. When you find ditches you can see structure and fish. Very handy and for the money it is a great unit. 

That said, im looking at changing to Hbird with 360 imaging. Their new units are awesome and will work well with my type of fishing but I gotta sell the farm first. 

21 hours ago, VS- 21MasterAngler said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Side view imagery for inshore fishing? 

The reason I ask is because I can get the Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 74sv  7" with SideVU transducer and preloaded with BlueChart g2 HD Coastal Cartography... For $599 @ WM. If I could figure out how to install it myself I could probably save $250-$300.

Install is very simple.....all you need is a drill, philllips screwdriver, and some pliers to cut and strip the wire.

The hardest part is snaking the transducer cable from the stern to the console...but, with a good wire snake....it's easy...

Total install for a first timer is about 2 hours....

Lots of Youtube videos...

My Garmin 741XS will be up for sale soon.....it's in very good condition...and the transducer will be included....

Send me a PM with your information and I"ll keep you updated on my sale progress.

dc

23 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Install is very simple.....all you need is a drill, philllips screwdriver, and some pliers to cut and strip the wire.

The hardest part is snaking the transducer cable from the stern to the console...but, with a good wire snake....it's easy...

Total install for a first timer is about 2 hours....

Lots of Youtube videos...

My Garmin 741XS will be up for sale soon.....it's in very good condition...and the transducer will be included....

Send me a PM with your information and I"ll keep you updated on my sale progress.

dc

what are you replacing it with ?

I talked to Garmin about replacing my old 178C. What I learned was that for shallow water fishing, which is 95% of what I do, I don't need any fancy-schmancy fish fining technology. I wen wit the EchoMap Chirp 54CV which is a god size for my 16RF. Of course, I am not a techy-smart guy, so simpler is always better in my book, I've been out guys who have the to of the line stuff and al they do is push buttons instead of fishing. Just sayin'....

Brian

Archived