My 21 MA

MDS

Yes, they are fast and very nimble with the right prop. The boat will run on rails, hold turns and eat up a chop and keep you dry at the same time.

A very quick aircraft carrier platform with more room to fish than anything out there. The stability at rest with 3 or 4 big guys on the deck is unreal

When I bought my 2010 I was sponsored by some major players and had their boats in my shed. Ran them and gave them back and bought another 21 MA.

I don't photo well so I had to pay up front for my new one.:P

8 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

What RPM at 67 MPH? And not wide open you say.:o

Prop calculations say not possible with 21 pitch prop to hit 57. I am running a OFX 21 4 Power tech and have tried many others over the last 2 21 MA I have owned. Just curious?

21 pitch-------1.75 lower unit ratio ---------6000 RPM ---------67 MPH ------- 2% prop slip-------- its possible .  Joe R 

26 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Never heard of 2% prop slip and the OP is only turning 5800.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something in the tune of 5 MPH.:D

not telling you how to prop your boat . I just wanted to say that it is posdible for a 21 pitch prop to hit 67 MPH .  Joe R 😀😀😀

I am also very curious to know what prop the OP is running.  My 1998 21MA runs 54-55mph with a 2.6L 175 Pro V.  I am currently building a 3.1L 250 ox66 for it.  It will have an exhaust tuner, reeds, EFI tuner and bobs low water.  the plan is to run at least 70mph.  I have a 24p OMC Raker hubbed for Yamaha I hope to spin.

Ok guys. My boat had a 14-21 solas prop on it. It had been worked on I believe cupped and some pitch change according to the repair guy. ( it cracked) I had about 30 gals of fuel live well 2 full live well 3 ice and beer, no trolling motor or batteries. The boat is new to me, I don’t know of any motor mods. It showed 67 mph on the gps at 5800 rpm. I don’t know how accurate it is. I replaced the prop with a new 14-21 and the other day I was running 54 at 5100 rpm. Haven’t run full throttle since the new prop.

Calcs are great till you hit the water, rarely do you have perfect conditions, air and water temps, water slickness, tide and wind. I can run the exact same load and have as much as 3-5 mph differences, I have hit 60 with a fairly worn ofx 4 21p, I think 22-23 p would see 65 with the right load on my boat in ideal conditions

Theres a guy in Cresent Florida Lake Placid named Mike Whitaker from Lake Placid Performance Marine . He ran 80 MPH in a 21 Lake and Bay with a stock 250 Merc. , boat had 36 volt bow mount trolling motor . 4 batterys .  Half tank of gas That was the speed record for a 21 bay boat with 250 HP . APBA speed record two way average speed was 80.70 MPH . Mike has held several speed records in the past. Thats one fast bay boat . I have heard of people saying they had a faster bay boat , but never seen anyone else have a APBA timed two way average speed record. That is hauling .    Joe R 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Old post revived. I have an ‘07 21 MA VZ250 vmax. The old prop was a Yamaha 3 blade SHO 23 pitch. The numbers were 63+ mph @5400 RPM with 4 batteries & 1/4 tank of fuel..., all bait wells empty, trim plate 2” up, 1 person in the boat, no windscreen and a poling platform.  Same day changed out to a Solas 4 blade 14/21 pitch & the numbers surprisingly went higher to 64+ mph at 5600 RPM and noticably better pop to plane. Also, Cadillac solid ride (much more stable at higher speeds) at 40 mph and the boat handled much better with the Solex. I also noticed  that the jack plate could run higher w/o losing water pressure to the engine. Only thing unusual about my 21 MA  is that the previous owner replaced the 4”/6”jack plate with a 10” setback jack plate. Thx guys for prop discussion & advise given. 

Archived