Choko report & Choko facilities update

Well, I'm pleased to say that fishing was excellent 2 out of 3 days last weekend. I found better bites closer to Choko rather than further away. I haven't quite figured out where the tripletails are hiding but the trout, reds & snook were abundant. Irma certainly has created some great new spots to figure out, especially at low tide! 

Choko Island Park is open. Well, kind of. The owners have decided to close the park office & ramp on Wednesdays & Thursdays. Ramp & parking fees have increased for guests. Management has been instructed to tow all vehicles that aren't registered and don't have guest passes in the windows. The ramp now has a locked chain across it and it will only be open 7am - 5pm from Friday to Tuesday. No more launching or loading before 7am or after 5pm on those days; no exceptions for guests or residents alike at this point. The docks & slips still need some work. 

Outdoor Resorts main ramp was still open to the public as of last weekend but the park itself is still a mess. Word on the island is that the office will re-open soon and they will be increasing their ramp fees as well as decreasing the amount of guest trailer parking spaces. I'm not sure about their fuel situation. 

Parkway is open and Rec90 fuel is available at the dock but there are still no plans to create a ramp there. 

Havana Café is open for breakfast & lunch only. Smallwoods store has reopened. 

2 hours ago, conocean said:

Well, I'm pleased to say that fishing was excellent 2 out of 3 days last weekend. I found better bites closer to Choko rather than further away. I haven't quite figured out where the tripletails are hiding but the trout, reds & snook were abundant. Irma certainly has created some great new spots to figure out, especially at low tide! 

Choko Island Park is open. Well, kind of. The owners have decided to close the park office & ramp on Wednesdays & Thursdays. Ramp & parking fees have increased for guests. Management has been instructed to tow all vehicles that aren't registered and don't have guest passes in the windows. The ramp now has a locked chain across it and it will only be open 7am - 5pm from Friday to Tuesday. No more launching or loading before 7am or after 5pm on those days; no exceptions for guests or residents alike at this point. The docks & slips still need some work. 

Outdoor Resorts main ramp was still open to the public as of last weekend but the park itself is still a mess. Word on the island is that the office will re-open soon and they will be increasing their ramp fees as well as decreasing the amount of guest trailer parking spaces. I'm not sure about their fuel situation. 

Parkway is open and Rec90 fuel is available at the dock but there are still no plans to create a ramp there. 

Havana Café is open for breakfast & lunch only. Smallwoods store has reopened. 

After the last trip - week ago Thursday - the y were just installing new ice machines at OR.

The ramp and the docks have not experienced extensive damage...the drop-off on the ramp is the same - no major undercuts etc.

The EC Bait and Tackle-across of Capts Table - Alana the Bait Babe's place...is up and running and they have completely refurb'd the shop.  

Marathon has completely refurtb'd the store - has ample ICE - but, I still do not trust the gas - given the island went underwater....the Marathon people "said" all the tanks were pumped...I'll buy my gas East Coast For Rec 90.

Circle K still closed as of week ago Thursday...Island Cafe up and running.

Too bad on the CIP news.....as that will really restrict residents...can't understand the logic on that one :(

How do you have a trailer park for fishing addicts that closes it's ramp to it's own residents....I can see them giving you a key to the gate....but, to close it off ?  Does' make sense.....or they just need to watch their costs and figure Wed and Thursday are not heavy days and if someone wants to fish..drag the boat down the road to OR??

Good report Paul  and thank you for your updates and insights....

dc

Not sure about the logic at cip but I do know that many island locals, a few guides and seasonal residents of cip have been abusing privileges there for years. The park owners are in business to make money so they're going to do what they feel is best for their pockets. I'm all good because I've locked-in my camper lot, secured a storage spot for my boat trailer & have a boat slip. Others at cip that are complaining about the changes instead of securing their parking spots & slips won't be so happy this winter. Fact of the matter is that there aren't many options on the island! 

Archived