From 2300 HPS to a 2500 Hybrid impressions

Onionrings

Had a  2017 model 2500 sitting on the dealer lot and he made me a deal I could not turn down. I was hesitant with the boat having the 250 SHO but after 2 trips, I feel like the motor is adequate for what I use it for.  I will definitely miss the speed of the HPS but the 2500 gives me better stability to fish 15-20 miles offshore (which is what I do most now). The 2500 just feels so much bigger and heavier than the 2300 HPS and I am still adjusting to trailering and driving it. I went into some 2 ft seas with some 3s ft mixed in and the boat did really well and rode like a cadillac.

I do not see any other 2500 with the 250 SHO here so if anyone has any questions regarding the performance of this boat/motor combo, feel free to hit me up.

On the last outing, I was able to hit max speed of 51 mph at around 5800 rpm. (2 men, 75% fuel, ice and tackle/gear, T-top, 4 batteries, 36 v trolling motor, power pole, 12 inch lowrance). I feel like I can hit 53mph with less weight on board and playing with the trim.

thumbnail.jpg

I'm debating those motors and the 2500 right now. I would like the 300, just not sure if it's worth the extra $$. Plus you might be able to reprogram the 250 computer after warranty is up. After that you would think the motors could perform similar given the block is the same.

I think you covered some questions I had. If you have any other thoughts about the boat and motor, I would love to hear them. Maybe I'll get some things answered I haven't thought of!

55 minutes ago, Rybuffett said:

I'm debating those motors and the 2500 right now. I would like the 300, just not sure if it's worth the extra $$. Plus you might be able to reprogram the 250 computer after warranty is up. After that you would think the motors could perform similar given the block is the same.

I think you covered some questions I had. If you have any other thoughts about the boat and motor, I would love to hear them. Maybe I'll get some things answered I haven't thought of!

I love the weight savings and plus you can always do this down the road for more HP if you really need more power. Many dealers are now advertising this for 250 SHO's.

http://www.nizpromarine.com/home/products/supercharged-450s/

I came into my 2500 after owning a 2200-V (2003 model...much lighter than the new ones). The 22 was a rocket. Hole shot was incredible. Just me on the boat it would touch 60. My 2500 with the 300 is fast but not "right now fast" like my 22 was. I am very glad I chose the 300. With my current 20 pitch, 3 blade prop it runs 57 mph flat out and the rpm's and the speed are pretty much square from plane to WOT. 

4 minutes ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

I love the weight savings and plus you can always do this down the road for more HP if you really need more power. Many dealers are now advertising this for 250 SHO's.

http://www.nizpromarine.com/home/products/supercharged-450s/

$10,000 option that immediately wipes out any warranty you might have remaining. Weight difference from the SHO 250 to the 300 is 62 pounds. That's less than a full live well. I would really like to see a 25 with this though. It should scoot!

Just now, Tall Tails said:

$10,000 option that immediately wipes out any warranty you might have remaining. I would really like to see a 25 with this though. It should scoot!

Wow, is it really $10K? I didn't know that, but I knew it voids any warranty from Yamaha. I think some installers are offering a separate warranty. For $10K it better right! I keep waiting for Yami to come out with a 300 SHO or something factory direct that can sort of be an option for Merc Racing or 7 Marine.

IMO, Yamaha is like Lexus. Crazy reliability and peace of mind, but lacked a bit of sexiness. Then Lexus targeted a younger market and now they have a much more appealing line of models that suits a multitude of buyers. I think Yamaha is about to unleash a whole new line of outboards in the next year or two that set the bar again.  

11 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

I came into my 2500 after owning a 2200-V (2003 model...much lighter than the new ones). The 22 was a rocket. Hole shot was incredible. Just me on the boat it would touch 60. My 2500 with the 300 is fast but not "right now fast" like my 22 was. I am very glad I chose the 300. With my current 20 pitch, 3 blade prop it runs 57 mph flat out and the rpm's and the speed are pretty much square from plane to WOT. 

Those numbers would be totally fine with me. My 2003 18 MA would get to close to 60 and that's plenty fast for me on a 18 or any boat for that matter. Both motors have proven to be great. The 2500 seems to be a home run for MBG. That will probably be my next, next boat! Thanks for the info. 

On 11/6/2017 at 8:19 PM, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Wow, is it really $10K? I didn't know that, but I knew it voids any warranty from Yamaha. I think some installers are offering a separate warranty. For $10K it better right! I keep waiting for Yami to come out with a 300 SHO or something factory direct that can sort of be an option for Merc Racing or 7 Marine.

IMO, Yamaha is like Lexus. Crazy reliability and peace of mind, but lacked a bit of sexiness. Then Lexus targeted a younger market and now they have a much more appealing line of models that suits a multitude of buyers. I think Yamaha is about to unleash a whole new line of outboards in the next year or two that set the bar again.  

Not to hijack the thread but my dealer put one of these superchargers on a new 250 SHO and strapped in on the back of a L&B. They said the boat ran 85 and still had more to give. They are putting one into a PF 2600 HPS/300 Yamaha next. Very curious about that outcome. 

14 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

Not to hijack the thread but my dealer put one of these superchargers on a new 250 SHO and strapped in on the back of a L&B. They said the boat ran 85 and still had more to give. They are putting one into a PF 2600 HPS/300 Yamaha next. Very curious about that outcome. 

Keep us updated on that... would love to hear the numbers. I think for the 25-28 size boat it's an option to still going fast with only one motor. In the FAQ on their page they talk about how de-tuned the 4.2L engine is. I know Yamaha keeps them that way for the reliability factor. They sure don't want to be filling warranty claims. After market super chargers/turbos, etc. are always a risk, but for the folks with a big check book it sure sounds fun.

Josh B.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 11:09 AM, Onionrings said:

I took the boat out again last week. This time I played with the motor trim/jack more.

With 4 guys on the boat (half tank of fuel) , I was able to get the rpm up to 6000 and a top speed of 53mph.

I believe with a light load and perfect conditions, this boat can hit 55mph.

What prop are you running?

4 blade, 18 pitch. That's the one I and my dealer couldn't get our hands on when I was testing props.  I may go borrow a 19 pitch 3 blade to try on a day when I have 4 people on the boat. See if it has any noticeable difference. When I tried the 19 pitch 4 blade it had an awesome hole shot but nothing for top end. 

On 11/29/2017 at 4:45 PM, Robert3 said:

Never Mind I see it is a bustle.. 20" shaft? on that engine?

Robert, all the SHO engines are 20" shafts. I'm curious if Onionrings can lift his jack plate completely and not blow the prop out. The 25" shaft on the 300 keeps enough in the water even when jacked up fully that I can run and not break the prop loose or lose cooling water pressure.

I have the OFX4 19P on my 2300 HPS,  i am taking it off, for a 21p.. I was getting decent hole shot, but could easily blow it out, if i turn while accelerating or have any height on the jack plate.

Too much slip too, about 250 RPM's difference, I have a 22P that I put on yesterday to see if was any better, what a difference.. Total traction!! Now I am worried if the SHO will make oil with this big wheel.. My other SHO did, with this prop. As soon as I changed it it stopped the issue.. 

My ultimate prop from Powertech OFX 4 21p, however, it was suggested to me to buy a Mercury fury prop in 22p, with the hub kit.. 

Any thoughts?

On my HPS 23 I have Yamaha HS4 22P 15dia.  Overall I have been very happy with the balance of hole shot, grip and top end.  Sure give up a little at top end vs the 21P but grips really nice at where I run the boat the majority of the time.  

I’ve hit upper 50s - like 57-59 mph- fast enough for me👍🏼

B0C47C69-00AD-4FC6-A4CC-C21507103BB1.jpeg

61432C37-FCA4-4867-97F6-72637CCA783F.jpeg

I guess I am gonna need to get a yamaha prop.

The PT i am running never gets more than 56MPH at 5500rpm,, I know I am not crazy, because this is exactly the results i had on my old girl. 

Although I have a warranty on this engine I don't want it to make oil, and have problems. 

Archived