Updated *Its UP* Little blue house that could

justfish

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2018 at 7:15 PM, BradM said:

Man, this is amazing! We were down there the other night and I wanted to drive by, but we had a couple with us. What is the expected move in date for y'all?

Hoping for before May so we can enjoy the summer in the house..Honestly I don’t really why that can’t happen, but I’m sure there will be some roadblocks   

Just passed inspection today so it piers are  going on up. Mason said the house lifters should be able to put it back on foundation mid week next week. He will have some block work to do to fill in the beams that have to come out, but for most part things should really start moving at that point 

1 hour ago, justfish said:

Hoping for before May so we can enjoy the summer in the house..Honestly I don’t really why that can’t happen, but I’m sure there will be some roadblocks   

Just passed inspection today so it piers are  going on up. Mason said the house lifters should be able to put it back on foundation mid week next week. He will have some block work to do to fill in the beams that have to come out, but for most part things should really start moving at that point 

Once it's back on the beams and the mason is done, what's left? Obviously plumbing and I would guess electric, too? How much more is contracted out versus what you're going to take on? I know how you're usually a few steps ahead, and I'm curious as to what you're thinking. 

After that, what's left is the electric and plumbing and pretty much everything inside.  Inside has been flood cut 24" up and dried and that's it...There was no sense repairing anything without knowing exactly what the lifting co needed to do ( cut out floors, beams through walls, etc) or what would break during process..Fortunately it went pretty good, but access to inside is super limited due to no stairs now.  First order of business is getting access to do work. 

I am also thinking "finishing" the underside of it is gonna be more time consuming and costly than it appears. There AlOT of wiring and plumbing and some ductwork to deal with down there that has me a lil concerned.

I am planning on contracting most all of it out .  Im gonna do some of the carpentry like my built in shelves and bench seating and likely "enclose" the underside when I figure out how we wanna do it.  Other than that I think I am gonna let someone else do it this time and start working on doing some stuff on the Pathy  

Very cute!! A kid with re-bar....what could go wrong?? :)

Coming along very nicely, I'm thinking when they lower the house down on the new support columns and take away the "support timbers" that will be a great day!! Fun to watch your progress!

I forgot all about the inside....Finishing the underside will be really nice. My grandparents old house (currently my uncles) out on the Suwanne is 10' up, and we insulated and finished that out. Simple plywood and paint type deal, which made access to the plumbing and duct work easy, if necessary. 

Are you going to keep the a/c down on ground level or build a landing for it and tie into the existing duct work? I can see benefits to both, but something to ponder if not already figured out. 

Little man isn't so little anymore and the wife looks great! I'm sure y'all can't wait to get back to normal and enjoy the home you have dedicated so much time and money to. Hang in there, third time is a charm....right? 

Quick couple of pics of headers going into place. They set them all with a bobcat except one in middle that they couldn’t get to cause of the cribbing tower  I left before they did that one by hand...I didn’t even want to see that go down  

Finish pouring the piers and headed then Two courses of block on top to go and then we can start putting it back together!

Also @triplecstopped by but didnt do any work 😬. 

9BC49462-15F5-4215-9F04-B582C8E34A6D.jpeg

A834D3F8-8C95-43E7-B9C0-DA39C3A42616.jpeg

On 1/17/2018 at 10:43 PM, justfish said:

Chad,

if you have that bulletin you can forward me so I can to give to contractor, please do. Thanks

barmburner4444@gmail.com

Here's the verbiage from Bulletin and I've also sent the full bulletin to your email.

Slabs are covered only if they are part of the foundation. To be part of the foundation, a slab must be at least 6 inches thick containing rebar and tied into the posts, pilings, piers, or other foundation walls required to support the building.

• 2 weeks later...

Look who’s back to “lower” house down and get their beams out. 

Seems like it’s been forever for mason to do his thing but as you can see, it was pretty complex job building the foundation and leaving the spaces for the beams that are under there. Hopefully they will get their stuff out today, mason can fill the holes and pour our slab. As soon as the steel is out, decks are going on for access and can start reframing back room and working on inside. 

0466D002-1D68-4C16-96EC-855F6DD72424.jpeg

36640D06-4916-4F5A-BBD2-96FF0CCBFD67.jpeg

3A51D2D4-0D5A-474C-BCEF-89299DE19862.jpeg

On 1/17/2018 at 5:54 PM, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Hey Buddy,

Just a quick FYI that your contractor may not know. If you have a slab down there and if you ever have a significant event that would cause slab damage, you must have the slab tied into the piers with rebar for coverage. This is a fairly new bulletin straight from FEMA for covered slabs in a high hazard elevated home. Just a quick thought since it would be pretty easy to tie rebar into those actual piers now if possible. 

During major hurricanes with significant wave action we have seen slabs pop right out of the ground. If the slab is not tied into the foundation piers/pilings etc.. there's no coverage. Also the slab needs to be at least 6" thick. 

Call me if you need to. 

Dang,

Another way out for the insurance companies. Who would have thought that? Good info from the poster.

They should never permit anything that does not meet the requirement of insurable. WTF is the world coming to.

I know. Most have insurance paid for until you have a claim. No wonder every commercial on TV is an insurance company, pharmaceutical, or from the attorneys they all employ.

To the OP, the house looks great. All the best to you!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Justfish, I've been off the grid for about 6 weeks. What is the latest on your home?

Have you seen my contractor out there as he seems to be off the grid as well. 

Things have really slowed down and the pressure is on. The house lifter is done and gone. The mason is 99% done, waiting on framers to frame back room so the bracing can come out and slab can be poured. They are setting my new meter as we speak. Plumber is set to come tomorrow to do any of the stuff that need to go under slab. 

We are supposed to be out of the place we are staying in May 1. It’s gonna be close ...

Here is only real new pic I have right now. This is what we will use to close in underside outside of fence. Trying to keep it as open as possible  for breeze and light but still meet pool code. Everything behind the fence will be open. 

This will all he stained “cedar” along with the decks. 

CFCA43A4-A431-4008-922D-35A81F43021A.jpeg

Looking good buddy. You are actually connected to the earth again. I know you still have lots of work to do on the inside. Are you going to be able to live in your house and finish the inside? I've been off the grid, cause I bought another condo in Englewood. Completely gutted it, and started over from scratch. My wife and I were there for 6 weeks with no TV, no kitchen and just one small guest bath. We only had a laptop, microwave and coffee maker. So, although my situation was voluntary, I feel your pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Went away for a week to try and keep sanity and come back seeing some progress again. 

Decks are all done except steps for back and. Electric back on. Plumbing is under way.  Roughed in a bathroom (in original block wall area) to maybe one day use as a pool bath and remove the one from garage to get some extra space in there. 

Starting to get a better feel for things now. Still have to be in May 1 😬

C62CC500-EF67-4F25-9C3C-A79E60C89725.jpeg

17281C4F-B057-4BB2-832E-CBDA980347C5.jpeg

380C34D9-58CE-4FAD-A31B-D6CD50EC31D0.jpeg

938C5041-8375-414C-9885-34CCB18F2BA0.jpeg

Archived