Updated *Its UP* Little blue house that could

justfish

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow is the day! Up she goes  

I was expecting some big elaborate jacks set up all over the place...

Nope. They are doing it with hydraulic bottle jacks. Four of em...One at each corner. 14” at a time and then they reposition the cribbing towers I guess. Gotta say I was a Lil shocked. If these guys weren’t the best in business, I’d likely been scared to death to let em proceed. 

9B5BD459-CA8F-4B9E-87A1-773EF577EAD1.jpeg

D3007983-00B4-48F1-B126-B460FA13FD74.jpeg

Man, that's awesome. I'm happy for you and the family, no more water. But, now what??? I mean, what supports the house when the jacks and cribbing come out. Do they pour footers and pilings, footers and concrete block, wood pilings??? So much I need to know.

I can see a big deck in your future, all across the back of the house.

You're in a completely different coverage category now. You will now probably be re-zoned as a, Post-Firm Elevated home in a High Hazard flood plane. You will now have limited coverage under your new elevated home. Call me to discuss what you can expect for coverage below your first elevated floor now. As time goes by you'll soon realize you have a tremendous amount of "new" potential square footage beneath your home now,  which you obviously didn't have before. Be cautious before you start framing in or adding enclosed areas down there. There will be very limited coverage. As you know now, it would've been nice to know your policy before you flooded. 

15 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Man, that's awesome. I'm happy for you and the family, no more water. But, now what??? I mean, what supports the house when the jacks and cribbing come out. Do they pour footers and pilings, footers and concrete block, wood pilings??? So much I need to know.

I can see a big deck in your future, all across the back of the house.

Thanks brother. I met with mason yesterday to discuss options now that it's up and we can get a feel for what it's like under there. The portion of the house you still see on the ground was supposed to be demo'ed but everyone now realized that it must have been built after tha house cause that area only has forgers that meet code. Lucky us on that part. Since my plan was to block that area in anyways, it will stay and the new bathroom/laundry room will be framed above it. That one whole side will be a stem wall but the rest will be on 16x16" piers on one continuous footer.  I should have a 11' wide bay on either side to use for parkin/toy storage  the center area will be some living space and maybe move my gym out there to free up some room in garage? 

The mason is starting Tuesday, so things are rocking and rolling. 

11 hours ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

You're in a completely different coverage category now. You will now probably be re-zoned as a, Post-Firm Elevated home in a High Hazard flood plane. You will now have limited coverage under your new elevated home. Call me to discuss what you can expect for coverage below your first elevated floor now. As time goes by you'll soon realize you have a tremendous amount of "new" potential square footage beneath your home now,  which you obviously didn't have before. Be cautious before you start framing in or adding enclosed areas down there. There will be very limited coverage. As you know now, it would've been nice to know your policy before you flooded. 

Sure will. As of now I think I’m leaning toward leaving it all open but definitely would like to know what is covered and what isn’t this time. 🙄

Watching the progress on this is very cool.  I'm curious too on the supports that will need to go in now, on top of the 16" x 16" CMU columns.  There will need to be some beams spanning the columns to support the exterior block walls of the house, and any interior floor joist bearing points too.  Looks like your plans (front elevation) shows a pretty deep beam.  Maybe formed and poured in place concrete?

Did they jack up the house a little higher than final position so the new beams can be constructed?  Then lower the house onto those new beams?

Keep posting pics, you're gonna have some nice additional space under it as others have said.

I suppose they require "brake-away" walls. I saw my first brake away walls a couple of years ago. They were concrete block, but not connected directly to the pilings. They had a Styrofoam buffer between the block wall and the pilings, so the walls could brake away or fall and not compromise the integrity of the pilings.

At the time of drawing we couldn’t get under the house or even dig to footers because of all the water so the foundation plans were submitted knowing that there likely would be some changes once things dried out and the house was up. The city is really being good working with those of us affected. 

The plans call for 10” lintels spanning the columns. There is then two rows of block above that.  I believe the block needs to be there in order for them to have the height to get the beams out and then the mason will fill the holes. 

That makes sense, probably precast "U-lintels" then the block and infill holes when the beams are removed like you said.  I'm sure they engineered some type of uplift connections from the house to the new supports to meet wind codes too.

My wife and I are over there quite a bit and rent condos to stay at, but have been thinking about buying something there to fix up and use part time, rent part time, so what you are doing gives a bit more to think about in what properties we might look at.

Archived