Updated *Its UP* Little blue house that could

justfish

Some of you might remember my renovation thread when we bought our house in St Augustine. Soon after the renovation we flooded from Matthew. We then spent last year renovating again only to flood from Irma. Needless to say we are over it. We just got permit and settled on company to lift the house so that hopefully this won’t be an issue anymore. Should start going up in a couple weeks but you can prob imagine there’s quite a bit to it. Some I’ve alteady started, some still needs to happen before and after, if we cheer hard enough maybe we can get @triplec to strap on his tool belt and help 😊. 

I’m trying to figure out a way to document this whole process and figured I’d see if there was any interest on here for folks to follow it since it’s not everyday you see this thing happen. Well, except  in my neighborhood 🙄

Here she is alll done about two weeks prior  to Irma 😞

FA78F516-ABE9-41E8-8AFF-59579CEE4F0C.jpeg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just fish,

You guys got hammered in St Augustine. I live in Ormond and St. Augustine got it much worse than us.  I lost my dock and roof in Mathew and I'm almost embarrassed to even acknowledge it around certain company out of respect for the damage they incurred.  Looking forward to watching the progress and I wish the best for you guys.  

Thanks Dave. Yeah Matthew was BAD here and considering we flooded this year from a “west coast” storm, I️ think it’s def time to fix this problem. 

Here is pic of elevation of what we are going for. We are still not 100% set on being able to go this high for budget reasons, but if we can I️ think this is where we want to go. This is about 10’ elevated and would give an approximate finished floor height of 17’ above sea level and give a lot of storage/extra space below. Plan B is go up 5’ and do a stem wall. Definitely some cost savings but the extra room is nice. 

BAA540D9-E671-4A77-AE34-A2BC08BF2CB1.jpeg

Fish, my buddy in Flagler beach is going through the same thing. Could you give me who you used? He has a bunch of quotes and no real good apple, apple comparisons. Maybe I can hook you guys up to compare notes.

I considered doing what you did but I doubt my bride could take anymore stress beyond fixing. Our interior is trashed along with all of the furniture but we are moving forward. Insulation this week, drywall next then tile paint and kitchen. We hope to have a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen to live in by new year. This really ***.............

On 11/6/2017 at 6:44 AM, justfish said:

Some of you might remember my renovation thread when we bought our house in St Augustine. Soon after the renovation we flooded from Matthew. We then spent last year renovating again only to flood from Irma. Needless to say we are over it. We just got permit and settled on company to lift the house so that hopefully this won’t be an issue anymore. Should start going up in a couple weeks but you can prob imagine there’s quite a bit to it. Some I’ve alteady started, some still needs to happen before and after, if we cheer hard enough maybe we can get @triplec to strap on his tool belt and help 😊. 

I’m trying to figure out a way to document this whole process and figured I’d see if there was any interest on here for folks to follow it since it’s not everyday you see this thing happen. Well, except  in my neighborhood 🙄

Here she is alll done about two weeks prior  to Irma 😞

FA78F516-ABE9-41E8-8AFF-59579CEE4F0C.jpeg

Flood Insurance? ICC filed? I'm an NFIP Catastrophic adjuster under the NFIP program for FEMA, so I'm glad to help if you have any questions.  I worked Mathew over there last year and Irma this year so I'm familiar with the repetitive losses that insureds have experienced. 

39 minutes ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Flood Insurance? ICC filed? I'm an NFIP Catastrophic adjuster under the NFIP program for FEMA, so I'm glad to help if you have any questions.  I worked Mathew over there last year and Irma this year so I'm familiar with the repetitive losses that insureds have experienced. 

Wow you speak the language! Yes we have flood Insurance. We didn’t wait fornFEMA to declare us a repetitive loss, we got declared substantially damaged this go around so are eligible for the ICC grant.    We are applying for ICC as soon as I get my foundation estimate in writing as it’s the last piece we are missing.

My adjuster says he’s starting this week  so we are finalizing our contents now  I️ would love to pick your brain as I️ am pretty sure I am more experienced in this than he is. Can you PM me your number?  

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Fish, my buddy in Flagler beach is going through the same thing. Could you give me who you used? He has a bunch of quotes and no real good apple, apple comparisons. Maybe I can hook you guys up to compare notes.

I considered doing what you did but I doubt my bride could take anymore stress beyond fixing. Our interior is trashed along with all of the furniture but we are moving forward. Insulation this week, drywall next then tile paint and kitchen. We hope to have a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen to live in by new year. This really ***.............

Sorry to hear Headhunter   I️ get it. We contemplated raising last year but we were to your point before I could get one of them out to give me a price...we did same thing  had kitchen, one bedroom, one bath on other side of house but were in for Christmas which helped  

I️ am using LaRue house movers out of green cove .  TNT house movers is another one and owner is also a LaRue out of green cove springs  so it’s a family thing out there I️ guess. Not surprised they were close in price, I️ went with mine only because my other subcontractors had worked with him before.  There’s another called Hygema - I️ think also out of green cove area - they super high price wise 

I️ will PM you my number to pass along to your friend 

11 hours ago, justfish said:

Wow you speak the language! Yes we have flood Insurance. We didn’t wait fornFEMA to declare us a repetitive loss, we got declared substantially damaged this go around so are eligible for the ICC grant.    We are applying for ICC as soon as I get my foundation estimate in writing as it’s the last piece we are missing.

My adjuster says he’s starting this week  so we are finalizing our contents now  I️ would love to pick your brain as I️ am pretty sure I am more experienced in this than he is. Can you PM me your number?  

Absolutely. Love to help were I can...PM Sent

On 11/7/2017 at 6:57 AM, justfish said:

Thanks Dave. Yeah Matthew was BAD here and considering we flooded this year from a “west coast” storm, I️ think it’s def time to fix this problem. 

Here is pic of elevation of what we are going for. We are still not 100% set on being able to go this high for budget reasons, but if we can I️ think this is where we want to go. This is about 10’ elevated and would give an approximate finished floor height of 17’ above sea level and give a lot of storage/extra space below. Plan B is go up 5’ and do a stem wall. Definitely some cost savings but the extra room is nice. 

BAA540D9-E671-4A77-AE34-A2BC08BF2CB1.jpeg

That's a great design.  Are you planning on changing the roof to a hip roof like in the drawing also?  Would the bottom level be framed-in or on stilts?

10 hours ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Absolutely. Love to help were I can...PM Sent

Great talk today on your flood claim and ICC. 

Forgot to tell you that if you happen to get a chance go see Bernarde at Caps on The Water/Stoney Poney. He had severe damage last year with Matthew, but completely remodeled everything and has a great restaurant right on the river. If you happen to go make sure to tell him that his flood adjuster sent you. He will take care of you.  

http://www.capsonthewater.com/

24 minutes ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Forgot to tell you that if you happen to get a chance go see Bernarde at Caps on The Water/Stoney Poney. He had severe damage last year with Matthew, but completely remodeled everything and has a great restaurant right on the river. If you happen to go make sure to tell him that his flood adjuster sent you. He will take care of you.  

Their remodel came out great!

4 hours ago, ReelEstate said:

That's a great design.  Are you planning on changing the roof to a hip roof like in the drawing also?  Would the bottom level be framed-in or on stilts?

The roof is hip, it's just the angle of the shot that make it look flat. And the 3/12 pitch I guess 

Will be mostly on piers with one or two storage rooms on left side as your looking at it. I wanted it as open as we could for breeze and shade. Will have to come up with some way to enclose because of pool - Lattice or something .. I have always liked the "stilt house" look 

2 hours ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Great talkin with you as well and thanks so much for all your information!

My wife worked at Caps for years in college.  We know Bernard and yes their Reno came out awesome! We were there a few weeks ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, sorry no updates for a while but we’ve been waiting for our turn..

We came home from a much needed weeks vacation to find some holes for beams. These guys seem to be really on schedule even as much as telling me they would prob have this half day to get some stuff done like this prior to them really starting next week. 

Never thought I’d say it but I’m very thankful this year for holes in the house. 😬

3F11B699-0A40-4097-B2D2-BE0C45F799C6.jpeg

C49D5234-9F1E-492C-9C9C-0F3AEE0E56AA.jpeg

15 hours ago, justfish said:

I believe so.  I’m anxious to see exactly  how this goes but...

From what ive gathered those will be 10” I beams running “port to starboard” and bigger ones (I believe 16”) running the long length of house. 

Hope you all the best. I have seen them move a house before and they did similar.

I would be freaking out. But, after being flooded 2 times in a year the shock factor is probably not that bad seeing this unfold.

Archived