Updated *Its UP* Little blue house that could

justfish

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On November 25, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Capt. Troy said:

Hope you all the best. I have seen them move a house before and they did similar.

I would be freaking out. But, after being flooded 2 times in a year the shock factor is probably not that bad seeing this unfold.

Freaking out was me while Irma was barreling down right after I got done with rebuilding it. It was like staring in my own horror movie. I swear that week took a year off my life. 

This is a giant relief. I know that once they get this thing up even just a few feet we will never have to deal with this again...

On November 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Did you decided on the elevation? 5 ft. or 10 ft.? If you go 10 ft. will you still have to buy flood insurance?

Good question. Right now plan is 10' but that's based on budget.  We have not seen anything from ins company yet so budget is kinda speculation at this point. That was supposed to be wrapping up last week.  If it isn't done by the time the lifters start we may be forced to keep it low to save the $ 🙄

Until we get some progress pics I wanted to show this. The top pic is the current view of St  Aug lighthouse. Hurricane Matthew blew down something that was blocking it, unknown to us. I love being able to see it and for last year  I’ve been sayin it’s the only good thing to come of Matthew. The bottom pic is the new “proposed” view if we go up the full 10’. 

Silly as it sounds, this helps keep my sanity when I get over there. about every other trip  have to grab the ladder and remind myself of this. I can’t wait to sit there and relax...smoke a cigar and just stare at it. 

EBA58325-19D8-462A-BD3E-B5BD54D50E23.jpeg

7A438974-A288-4129-8AD1-A44B7791B81A.jpeg

Things got pushed back a little cause of all the rain we’ve had but They made some progress in the guest room. 

This room is a framed addition over the original car port. Floor had to come out of this room so they could cut the slab out to get beams in. The back bathroom you see in rear will be demo’ed unfortunately.  They will raise the roof and we will reframe and rebuild everything pretty much as is.  It’s originally a block utility room common in rear of car ports...the fact that it’s  block and protudes out would have thrown the balance off so it was cheaper to To this rather than let them deal with it   

Plan is the rest of house should be pretty intact. 

51B5DEF7-15C4-4692-B6A2-AB3E31660BB1.jpeg

Thank you. Feels like it’s taking forever. 

I wouldn’t have started this thread so soon before the fun stuff started had I known. 

Here is a cool article they did on our house right before Irma with some awesome pics! This is what we are striving for again...just higher!

https://www.staugustinesocial.com/home-worth-fighting-barnwells-nautical-paradise-davis-shores/

Ok...Things are really starting to get going. Left side which is framed addition is almost exclusively on bottle jacks. The block side has BIG holes for what I believe to be BIG beams running length of house. The ones going front to back are smaller. 

The original front porch is out which is a relief because the existing kitchen floor sits on it so there was a lot of uncertainty as to how that part of floor would fair. Looks like it is fine! 

They still have a day or two of poking more holes and digging but the  beams are coming Monday or Tuesday. 

For those wondering about height, we have to finesse some numbers with contractor but it does look like we are going to be able to go up to second story height. It needs 12” lentil and 3 courses of block above that to allow the beams to come out. So to get 8’ clearance that I’d like to get under the house it would put finished floor just under 12’ above grade which is about 6’ above sea level. So 18’ or so above sea level.... If we get an 18’ storm surge, I’m thinking there’s a lot more to worry about in St Aug than the Lil Blue House That Could. 

052FC1F9-8565-4147-8FE6-A41C90CC7C5C.jpeg

17827BAD-A62B-472B-9004-1B949A5BC6EA.jpeg

A5AC0C3C-6AD2-458E-A658-70C461202FD0.jpeg

By the way, that “dirt” looking stuff on wall is not the waterline...in a furious attempt to try to keep from flooding  I used some peel and stick on the framed portion of house to try and keep water out. I also sealed off all crawl space holes and taped all lower windows and doors. Based on waterline outside vs inside I was able to slow it up enough to be a few inches out before tide went out but it made its way in somehow. 

On 12/6/2017 at 1:58 PM, justfish said:

By the way, that “dirt” looking stuff on wall is not the waterline...in a furious attempt to try to keep from flooding  I used some peel and stick on the framed portion of house to try and keep water out. I also sealed off all crawl space holes and taped all lower windows and doors. Based on waterline outside vs inside I was able to slow it up enough to be a few inches out before tide went out but it made its way in somehow. 

Next time don't waste your time. Just make sure you call me to do your flood claim and you'll be taken care of! .HAHA!!!

Things getting real now....

They are putting the beams in now. Thank goodness my neighbor recently demolished his house so they had a nice clear shot strait in. The large ones are in and run the length of the house. The front one sticks out about 30’ where deck was. The back bathroom is demo’ed or so  I hear...I couldn’t stand to see any more of my tile work destroyed. 

Supposed to be going up Tuesday and Wednesday! Gonna try and time lapse it somehow 

9BEDAB86-6D39-4667-8CE8-D91FECFEE970.jpeg

F471C6D3-F0AA-4EDD-A013-5D9FCD69899F.jpeg

14DDFE4A-F8B7-4C87-9ACA-612D275CE6F6.jpeg

On November 25, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Capt. Troy said:
17 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Sheesh, all this time I've been thinking "Cool!"  Then, seeing those last pics, I'm saying HOLY S#$%^!!  I'd be telling the contractor, "just call me when it's done.  I don't want progress reports!"

That was the plan but unfortunately it's just not that easy.  I had already started the new plans, lift, foundation planning prior to bringing on the contractor.  Since I already had those going, he let me continue them on my own so he didn't add his % to those ....then he will handle the electric, plumbing, putting it all back together. Good deal for me, but I can't just wash hands of it unfortunately  

Even after that, I doubt I will be able to...too many lil custom touches I did that will be easier for me to do again.

Archived