Sea Star helm issues

East Coast Dave

I had an issue with my steering running back home this week. The steering was unresponsive. I killed the throttle and then it seem to work but seem like there was no resistance.  I assumed I had a fluid leak.  i checked it and it was full of fluid and no signs of leaks. Had my mechanic stop by to bleed the lines and there was a little air, but not much. When you turn the wheel all the way to the right, then barely turn it back the other way, the wheel will turn but the motor doesn't move. If you jerk it real fast you can hear it catch and it turns. I assume the valves in the helm are sticking on the one side. Has anyone had this issues? 

My ten year 2200V was doing the exact same thing.   It will only get progressively worse.   My choice, according to my Yamaha dealer,  was to send the helm unit off to be rebuilt, or to buy a new unit.  I chose to spring for a new helm pump.

26 minutes ago, East Coast Dave said:

I used a guy in Safety Harbor in 2014, Boat Steering Rebuilders, and he rebuilt the back cylinder and it was 1/2 the cost of new.  I think he may have passed away or retired.  I think I may end up going the new route.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a rebuilder?

Same people, believe there is one in Jacksonville that can do it. Try searching tht.com.

It is not overly hard to rebuild. When apart the main part looks like an old rotary phone. The cylinders go up and down as you  turn a disc that looks like a roller coaster. Then there is a set of valves that are open and closed by spring loaded ball bearings. I would say moderate skills and no big tools needed. There is a rebuild kit needed.

If you are going to replace it it is worth a look before buying. 

17 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the HH5271 vs the HH5271-3 .  I can't seem to find the HH5271 online anywhere. 

I believe the only difference is that the -3 has different fittings. The new style comes with what they call an ORB fitting. You may need the adapters to get the new one to fit the hoses.

I

18 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the HH5271 vs the HH5271-3 .  I can't seem to find the HH5271 online anywhere. 

I think (pretty sure) that the HH 5271 is a front mount helm 1.5 CU. IN and the -3 is most likely a 1.7 CU.IN. helm. The basic difference that you'll notice would be turns lock to lock...

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, FLDXT said:

Stuck/dirty check valves.

Has the same issues years ago. I took the helm apart and found all kinds of stuff stuck to the valves and passages. Like others have said, if you are mechanical at all, you can clean the parts up and be good for several more years. Additionally, there is a place in St. Pete, Fl. that rebuilds helms. I'll look for the web-site.

I found out the difference in the two. It just has to do with the fitting on the back. It has to do with being able to adjust so that the facing the right direction. The older one was made in a way where if you torqued to spec they may not be pointing the right way. So you had struggle to tighten to spec or back it off to be able to connect the hose easier but risk the system leaking. I was told my old hose would fit.

i think the guy in St Pete that use to rebuild them passed away and his wife sold the business. He was a nice guy and rebuilt a unit for me in the past. Boat steering rebuilders was I think the name of the place. They moved to Venice. 

Archived