J.N

Bob's jackplate motor issue

The factory installed bob's jackplate stopped working and the motor is getting power but it's not working. I'm wondering if it's possible to repair the pump motor? I'm running on a tight budget after dealing with hurricane Irma unfortunately.

Just curious if you checked for power going to the motor itself or the solenoids? The solenoids are often the problem and can be replaced with Mercury trim solenoids cheaply.

I have never tried to repair the motor itself but have done a couple trim motors which are about the same.  On the trim motors I have done they just needed a good cleaning of the brushes or had a broken brush spring.  

At first I assumed it was the solenoids and then I tested everything. I'm getting 12v to the pump and the wires that feed into the motor get a little warm if I keep pushing the up/down switch.

I just had my solenoid go out on my jackplate.  I looked at DB electrical as suggested to J.N.  I found two 12v heavy duty solenoids.  One, Mercury Marine Solenoid 12 Volt Heavy Duty 89-96054, the other,  Mercury Marine Solenoid 12 Volt Heavy Duty 89-96158.  Is there anyway to verfiy which one I need before pulling the old one off of the pump? As it sits now I can still fish as long as I don't lift my motor up.  While trouble shooting I lowered it to a neutral setting that would allow fishing.  I hate to go just of the picture but the first one had double nuts on all posts just like my current ones.  Has anyone ordered one in the past that can remember which one I need? The jackplate is on a 2007 22TE, the pump is labled SAE J1171 Marine.  Thanks in advance for any help.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:02 PM, mulligan said:

The one I used was a Quicksilver 89-96158T

Awesome, now I hope I can just swap the solenoid on mine without pulling the pump...the screws holding the pump in must have a whole tube of 5200 on them cause they won't budge.  This will be a project for me in the coming weeks so if anyone has a trained spider monkey I can borrow???

14 minutes ago, Nauti said:

Awesome, now I hope I can just swap the solenoid on mine without pulling the pump

I will take a look at mine later to jar my memory more but if I recall I had to unbolt the pump and slide it out some just to get at the solenoids.

I had to change both solenoids on mine this year, of course not at the same time. You can buy the the kit from Bobs with two upgraded solenoids and backing plate and save yourself the hassle of trying to get the backing plate screws out of the motor. Don't bother asking for help, Bobs customer service leaves a LOT to be desired...just sayin'.