Bob's jackplate motor issue

J.N

The factory installed bob's jackplate stopped working and the motor is getting power but it's not working. I'm wondering if it's possible to repair the pump motor? I'm running on a tight budget after dealing with hurricane Irma unfortunately.

Just curious if you checked for power going to the motor itself or the solenoids? The solenoids are often the problem and can be replaced with Mercury trim solenoids cheaply.

I have never tried to repair the motor itself but have done a couple trim motors which are about the same.  On the trim motors I have done they just needed a good cleaning of the brushes or had a broken brush spring.  

• 1 month later...

I just had my solenoid go out on my jackplate.  I looked at DB electrical as suggested to J.N.  I found two 12v heavy duty solenoids.  One, Mercury Marine Solenoid 12 Volt Heavy Duty 89-96054, the other,  Mercury Marine Solenoid 12 Volt Heavy Duty 89-96158.  Is there anyway to verfiy which one I need before pulling the old one off of the pump? As it sits now I can still fish as long as I don't lift my motor up.  While trouble shooting I lowered it to a neutral setting that would allow fishing.  I hate to go just of the picture but the first one had double nuts on all posts just like my current ones.  Has anyone ordered one in the past that can remember which one I need? The jackplate is on a 2007 22TE, the pump is labled SAE J1171 Marine.  Thanks in advance for any help.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:02 PM, mulligan said:

The one I used was a Quicksilver 89-96158T

Awesome, now I hope I can just swap the solenoid on mine without pulling the pump...the screws holding the pump in must have a whole tube of 5200 on them cause they won't budge.  This will be a project for me in the coming weeks so if anyone has a trained spider monkey I can borrow???

• 2 weeks later...

I had to change both solenoids on mine this year, of course not at the same time. You can buy the the kit from Bobs with two upgraded solenoids and backing plate and save yourself the hassle of trying to get the backing plate screws out of the motor. Don't bother asking for help, Bobs customer service leaves a LOT to be desired...just sayin'. 

• 2 months later...

I finally pulled out my pump assembly to test everything out. The blue up wire was damaged where it goes into the housing allowing moisture inside of the motor. Both solenoids only work 60% of the time as well. The old motor was stuck on the pump body because of the rusted bolts. I had to grind off the heads and slide the motor off of the bolt studs.  Turns out the solenoids are Mercury starter parts that can be bought on ebay for $13 a pop.  They have a stainless steel back plate and I doubt the ones from the auto store are the same?  I paid around $200 for a new motor before finding out all of this is nothing but Mercury parts that are dirt cheap on the used market. Live and learn.

Archived