WTB: Hewes Bonefisher 16 v Maverick 17

dawv1S$us

Hi,

My son and I are looking for a flats boat to fly fish S Florida from the Keys to Flamingo.  We plan to use the pole and fish flats as well as some mangroves. We are looking at the Hewes Bonefisher 16 compared to the Maverick 17 ft Master Angler. We prefer a four stroke 90-115HP and are budgeting 12-18k so we know either of these will be a few years old. We are ok with a boat that needs some finishing touches, new batteries or electronics.

Our main question right now is between the Bonefisher 16 and the MA 17...any thoughts on which of these might be the better boat? We know there are probably price differences and the MA will likely be more...just wondering if it would be worth the extra cost. We are also looking at Redfishers.

Thanks for any observations or suggestions.

DAW

15 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

^^^^^^what he said^^^^^  

In fact, if you are going to spend a LOT of time on the pole, look for an older maverick hpx or mirage.  

The MA is VERY pole able, but not something you want to buy the boat to do as a primary objective.

Good advice Whichwaysup.  It's a bit of a drive from S. Fla, but this older Mirage looks like a good fit for the OP's needs and budget:

http://mbgforum.com/topic/5687-1998-17-maverick-mirage-price-drop-13900/?tab=comments#comment-46875

The RF and MA are pretty similar in their poling ability, neither are designed to do that as a primary goal, but both can do it without killing you (unless you plan to chase schools of bonefish across a large flat day in day out).  Obviously, less boat = easier poling.  You have to remember that the MA and Redfisher are grear general flats boats that do everything pretty well.  Drifting a flat, running channels, shooting offshore on calmer days, poling occassionally, ect, you can't beat them.  They are big, wide, and stable.  You just have to ask yourself what kind of fishing you will do 75% of the time.  If it is ONE type of fishing, buy a boat designew to do that ONE thing.  If you want a lot of options, get an MA or RF.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:48 PM, dawv1S$us said:

Hi,

My son and I are looking for a flats boat to fly fish S Florida from the Keys to Flamingo.  We plan to use the pole and fish flats as well as some mangroves. We are looking at the Hewes Bonefisher 16 compared to the Maverick 17 ft Master Angler. We prefer a four stroke 90-115HP and are budgeting 12-18k so we know either of these will be a few years old. We are ok with a boat that needs some finishing touches, new batteries or electronics.

Our main question right now is between the Bonefisher 16 and the MA 17...any thoughts on which of these might be the better boat? We know there are probably price differences and the MA will likely be more...just wondering if it would be worth the extra cost. We are also looking at Redfishers.

Thanks for any observations or suggestions.

DAW

I own a MA17...1995...so,, you'll need to look around for a while...

This boat does draft a good bit....more like 12" vs the bonefisher or HPX older model.

be sure to specify a bit more as you are getting into so grey areas:

1.)  Are you going to exclusive fly fish?  if so, NO MA IMHO - too much weight

2.) If you are not sure - then MA17, but, understand it's heavier and not as silent.

3.) You say your son and you - how old are you and your son?  Who is going to be the primary poler ?  Have you poled before?

4.) Have you fly fished before on a skiff like this?

Not trying to be condescending just trying to help answer questions....if you have not spent all day on the tower, pushing someone around...it's not "frig&4N" easy

again, welcome to the forum...there are a lot of guys and gals who have great knowledge here and can help.

I'm not a "poler"....i'm a pop'n cork and jig guy...so, for me, my MA 17 is the prefect skiff.

dc

I have a 99 MA17 w/ a 04 Zuke DF140, 04 Rolls Axle trailer, Simrad electronics. I'd be interested in selling as my needs have changed somewhat, I have two little ones and needs an "in" boat instead of "on", as much as I love my 17. If you are interested let me know, I can give you the specifics.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I am very happy to report that the 03 Maverick MA 17 from above post is in my garage tonight. Awesome ride, super package , versatile, and we look forward to fly fishing, mangroves, nearshore and family enjoyment. Super excited to be posting as a Maverick OWNER.

On November 4, 2017 at 8:34 PM, dawv1S$us said:

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I am very happy to report that the 03 Maverick MA 17 from above post is in my garage tonight. Awesome ride, super package , versatile, and we look forward to fly fishing, mangroves, nearshore and family enjoyment. Super excited to be posting as a Maverick OWNER.

Congrats....My MA17 has a "similar" deck but the same hull...you'll love it for what you want to do...she will draft a bit, but, they are great for the bay and what you'll want to do...

dc

Archived