2001 Maverick 18.5 Master Angler - $17500 (Fort Myers)

FMB MEGALOPS

Daygator, I will let VS respond, but again, the blisters on the MA are not water related.  That has been established and re-established several times.  The current theory is that it is related to off gassing of the resin used in some models.  it does not get worse, they dont crack or pop, and they are not affected by water.

There ARE water induced blisters that affect gel coat but the ones for this particular model are unrelated.   

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Daygator, I will let VS respond, but again, the blisters on the MA are not water related.  That has been established and re-established several times.  The current theory is that it is related to off gassing of the resin used in some models.  it does not get worse, they dont crack or pop, and they are not affected by water.

There ARE water induced blisters that affect gel coat but the ones for this particular model are unrelated.   

ok thank you but I am confused.  There are posts on this site about this model and blisters showing up after storing the boat in the water for only one week.  These are unrelated?  I think there was a reply from the manufacturer that yes they get worse in the water.  Are you saying that is not true and blisters on this model just show up and then stay the same whether in the water or not?  Please point me to that info I don;t want to derail this thread.  VS I am still interested in how you handled this if you care to share.  thanks all 

You can read though and see my position on these. But again this is a used boat, every used boat will have some issues, weather hidden or obvious. It could be blisters, tanks, leaking lower unit or motor on the verge of blowing.  Thats a risk some people are unwilling to take, and they buy new boats.

From what I see VS got a great boat at a probably a great price, had it properly inspected and he feels good about it. Also we don't even know for sure this is the same boat, JWalk says its a 2000. The CL add says its a 2001.

Daygator, I see that Hurricane shot you the link.    There seem to be two different causes of the blisters, one internal - apparently resin related, and one external - water related.  

From everything I have ever read and personally experienced, you have to leave a boat in the water a long time completely unprotected to get the second kind of blister, and those tend to disappear when the hull is left to dry out.   From what I have read, mostly on sailboat forums, the impacted hulls are both older than these and have been exposed to water constantly, as you can imagine would happen to a sailboat.  

For a 17 year old flats boat to be in the water enough to be impacted by these kinds of blisters, the gelcoat would have to be porus from lack of care, excessive sun damage/oxidation etc, in which case you would likely see significant corrosion elsewhere and other indications of abuse, neglect.

I am no expert here, but barring the possibility of poor quality gelcoat (if there is such a thing) it would be hard to imagine someone a)keeping a flats boat in the water that much AND b) being able to clean it up enough to hide the other impacts of doing so AND c) being so bold about claiming it was garage kept all its life.  Most sellers who would lie tend to hedge and keep the lies as close to reality as possible.

I could be totally wrong here, but common sense would suggest that they use gel coat on boats for a reason.  If it blistered from normal water use, they would have used something else a long time ago.  Thus, it supports the theory of a different cause, from the other side of the equation - the fiberglass, resin, bonding, etc, Which would not be exacerbated by water use.

thank you hurricane and whichwaysup yes I've read through that post a couple of times now!  in it the manufacturer itself states it is caused by water and also other owners with the problem on hand said the same thing.  They made it clear that they never stored the boat in water for long but the blisters showed up after a few days, clearly caused by being left in the water.  It is why I asked VS the questions I did and also why whichwaysup posts above confuse me so much.  I have not seen anything in that thread or anywhere else that said the blisters just show up on these boats and then stay that way without change whether in the water or not.  I was really just hoping to know if VS looked into it and if it helped him with pricing. 

Archived