Opinions on Hewes Tunnel

daygator

After a long stint of reading on here, I am finally ready to buy.  I was close on a Master Angler but did not proceed.  I came across this ad for a 19 Tunnel, and the boat interests me.  It's different, which I like, and it's in budget even though I am guessing it will need work.  That being said, I know nothing about them.  I realize that by posting this someone else may grab it, but I hope not until I can learn more.  Anyone out there have any first hand knowledge on these? Things to be aware of with this model?  Is this price decent?  I'm trying to gather any info I can.  I searched all over and find hardly anything out there on this boat.  I don't want to contact the seller, if its even still available, until I educate myself a bit.

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-hewes-tunnel-hull-19ft/6283012770.html

Thanks for the input guys.  I find very little information out there on these.  I take it not many of these were made and they aren't well liked, so I would hate to prevent any resale after dumping more coin into it.  I like it being somewhat unique, but may just steer clear.  Thanks again.  

3 hours ago, daygator said:

Thanks for the input guys.  I find very little information out there on these.  I take it not many of these were made and they aren't well liked, so I would hate to prevent any resale after dumping more coin into it.  I like it being somewhat unique, but may just steer clear.  Thanks again.  

They definitely didn’t make as many tunnels as they did the standard V hull.  I have heard these were sold in the Texas / Louisiana area where super shallow water is everywhere.  

I've got a 1995 Tunnel.  I've stuck it twice, once with 3 adults and 2 kids on sandy bottom about 1 ft deep.  The other time was just me in about 8 inches.  I'm not sure what typical draft is for the non tunnels.  There is less info on the tunnels which makes finding prop recommendations difficult.  Top speed with a 17p and 150 merc is about 38 mph, with just me on perfect calm day.  I've never found info on anyone getting a tunnel above 40 mph.  It gets a little squirrely if you aren't careful but not too bad, that is common with tunnel V boats just took a little getting use to.  I made it swap ends once but I was trying to run it hard with the motor up on a rough day.  Overall I love the boat and layout even though mine was in pretty rough shape.  I'm not trying to be negative about it just trying to tell you the differences or things that might be a concern.

• 2 months later...

Archived