Livewell 1 filling issue

General disarray

Hobo always advised removing those strainers if you don't need them.  Unless you live in an area with lots of thin grass, the sea chest does a adequate job keeping grass and debris out.  I haven't had the strainers in 10 years and have never had issues with clogged pumps in SE Florida.

Master Repair used 2 Rule pumps when they replaced mine.  I just checked this past weekend and they oriented the strainers horizontal.  I forgot to take a picture.  I have never had a problem with an air lock or anything else for that matter. 

1 hour ago, JEM said:

Master Repair used 2 Rule pumps when they replaced mine.  I just checked this past weekend and they oriented the strainers horizontal.  I forgot to take a picture.  I have never had a problem with an air lock or anything else for that matter. 

Appreciate the info. Do you have the standard or the 90 degrees where the pump faces up? Seems like the 90s would be better for access and space but I dont know if they are more susceptible to air lock

IMG_1650.JPG.1e3073c944bb4bd7bf30844be6db0388.thumb.jpg.7168e9c623e4a7051d1f85d3edaa8254.jpgNot sure.  I would assume you would tighten the strainer down before the pump.   Then tighten the pump down on the other end.  If that makes sense.......  I would also use plumber's tape on the threads too.   I should have taken a picture when I had my head in there looking.....  Found this picture, but still doesn't show the strainer oriented on a horizontal axis.  The baitwell pump is the one in the lower right.

To make a reliable repair, you'll have to take the pumps and strainers off, clean the threads (inside and out) then reassemble using "Boat-Life" white caulking. The caulking allows you to make corrections in the positions or orientation of both strainers and pumps. I've used Boat-life for years and never had a leak. Additionally, the caulk is easily removable if you have to replace one item or the other. Don't forget to use the same caulking on barbed fittings.  

11 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

To make a reliable repair, you'll have to take the pumps and strainers off, clean the threads (inside and out) then reassemble using "Boat-Life" white caulking. The caulking allows you to make corrections in the positions or orientation of both strainers and pumps. I've used Boat-life for years and never had a leak. Additionally, the caulk is easily removable if you have to replace one item or the other. Don't forget to use the same caulking on barbed fittings.  

Got it. Thanks for the info

• 2 months later...

Archived