2400 TRS F300 Prop

coldfin

Just bought a 2400 TRS with a F300, Jack Plate and Soft T-top. Boat came from dealer with a 20" pitch Power Tech prop. Not sure of the diameter. WOT I only got 5,500 RPM doing 55 MPH. Did some searching and only thing I found was one guy went with a Yamaha 15x22 4 blade and said he was getting the same as the Yamaha performance report. (5,800 RPM @ 58 MPH).

Anyone with the same setup have any input on what the best prop setup is for this boat? Hard to believe this boat setup can't get 6,000 RPM with the right prop. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2400 TRS with hardtop. The prop is a PowerTech OFX4 15.25" x 19". I have never been fully satisfied with my boat's performance since it was new 2 years ago. I can only get about 5,500 RPM on a good day and about 53 MPH. I have looked at numerous 24' bay boat reviews and many of them have a Yamaha Saltwater Series II 21" or 22" pitch prop and getting 5,800 - 6,000 RPM and 60 MPH. I'm thinking about trying a standard Yamaha 4-blade prop with 19" or 21" pitch. I really afraid of losing my hole shot though if I go too high in pitch. With 4 or 5 people and gear on the boat I can't afford to lose my time to plane performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Tiki Bay Fishing said:

I have a 2400 TRS with hardtop. The prop is a PowerTech OFX4 15.25" x 19". I have never been fully satisfied with my boat's performance since it was new 2 years ago. I can only get about 5,500 RPM on a good day and about 53 MPH. I have looked at numerous 24' bay boat reviews and many of them have a Yamaha Saltwater Series II 21" or 22" pitch prop and getting 5,800 - 6,000 RPM and 60 MPH. I'm thinking about trying a standard Yamaha 4-blade prop with 19" or 21" pitch. I really afraid of losing my hole shot though if I go too high in pitch. With 4 or 5 people and gear on the boat I can't afford to lose my time to plane performance.

I have a buddy with a 2016 2400 TRS, T-top hardtop, 36V I pilot, 4 batteries, the premium leaning post with tackle cabinet, and the F300 Yamaha.    He has less than 50 hours on the rig  and had never opened it up to WOT.  This past weekend, I got him to open it up and he only hit 5300 rpm's  by trimming out and raising the jack plate.   He is going to pull the boat today and see which prop he has.  I am pretty sure it is a Yamaha 4 blade, but not sure the model or the pitch.  Any further suggestions for him on which prop to look at.  I told him he needs to get his rpm's up to the 5700 - 5800 range at least.   Sounds like he needs at least 2 inches less pitch to me.   

• 2 months later...

I am currently sorting through same....here are the particulars:

2400 TRS w/ Yamaha F300 (2017)......prop HS-4 21T 15...Hard T-top...5 batteries...Ulterra TM....here are the numbers:

Averages

Trim

RPM

Speed (GPS)

0 Trim

Full Trim

Neutral Trim

Base Load

·         Driver Only

·         Full Tank Fuel

·         Livewells empty

·         Coolers empty

Trim Levels

·         0 Trim = Engine Trimmed All Way In

·         Full Trim = Engine Trimmed All Way Up Just Before Cavitation

·         Neutral Trim = Engine Trimmed to to halfway Position on YIC

Dealer suggested 3 Blade with 19” pitch....going to give it a try

17 hours ago, BigC said:

I am currently sorting through same....here are the particulars:

2400 TRS w/ Yamaha F300 (2017)......prop HS-4 21T 15...Hard T-top...5 batteries...Ulterra TM....here are the numbers:

Averages

Trim

RPM

Speed (GPS)

0 Trim

Full Trim

Neutral Trim

Base Load

·         Driver Only

·         Full Tank Fuel

·         Livewells empty

·         Coolers empty

Trim Levels

·         0 Trim = Engine Trimmed All Way In

·         Full Trim = Engine Trimmed All Way Up Just Before Cavitation

·         Neutral Trim = Engine Trimmed to to halfway Position on YIC

Dealer suggested 3 Blade with 19” pitch....going to give it a try

I have a 19" 3 blade but haven't been able to try it out yet. Will post numbers as soon as I'm able! 

9 hours ago, dotschaser said:

Running my trs with the f300 and sw series II sds in a 21 pitch with t top. 5900 rpm wot at 60 mph. Light load run. I was running the hs4 and was not happy with numbers. More than satisfied with the 3 blade and no hole shot issues.  

What pitch were you running with the HS4?  Did you see improvent just by going to 3-blade or did u change pitch too? Wondering if I may be taking too big a swing by going from 21” to 19” pitch and from 4-blade to 3-blade all the same time

2 hours ago, BigC said:

What pitch were you running with the HS4?  Did you see improvent just by going to 3-blade or did u change pitch too? Wondering if I may be taking too big a swing by going from 21” to 19” pitch and from 4-blade to 3-blade all the same time

Had an hs4 in a 22 pitch and was only getting 5500 rpm at 56 wot. Only came down 1" pitch from the 4 blade to the 3. Definitely easier for the motor to turn.  Speed went up. Fuel burn about same. If hole shot any different I can't notice it. 

I have a 2017 2400 with Bimini top.  These numbers are wit the top removed.

I run a PT ofx4 19, hole shot good, midrange excellent, 4000rpm 37-38mph, top end 5500-5800 depending on load 55-58mph. No porpoising 

Boat came with SSII 19T 15.25”, slow-average hole shot, ok midrange, 4000rpm 36mph, some blow out on turns, top end 5900 57mph light.  I do get porpoising with this prop.

Also tried an HS4 21T 15”, good hole shot, 4000rpm 41mph, no blow out, top end 5300rpm 58mph light.  No porpoising 

Honestly I’m trying to find a better prop so any input would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, dotschaser said:

Had an hs4 in a 22 pitch and was only getting 5500 rpm at 56 wot. Only came down 1" pitch from the 4 blade to the 3. Definitely easier for the motor to turn.  Speed went up. Fuel burn about same. If hole shot any different I can't notice it. 

thanks dotsc

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I have been running the reworked HS4 21 that the prop shop said they took out an inch.

2 people totaling under 300lbs, full fuel, minimal gear, no top.

Still great hole shot, no blow out, some minor porpoising.  4000rpm/40mph.  Trimmed out wot 5700rpm/55mph.  Playing with the jack plate height 5500rpm/56mph.  

Im not happy with the rpm’s top end since I consider this a light load.  I put the SSII 3 blade 21 back on for now.  I’m not sure my next step, has anybody been testing other props???

I have the Power Tech CLY200FX4R20P ( 20" x 4) and with 2 people, soft t-top, 3/4 tank of gas, normal gear and I was able to get 5800 RPM and 58 mph. Jack Plate was at about 2 and had engine trim up. Think this is as good as it will get and I'm happy with it. 

Had dealer do a prop test and it came out at 94% efficiency.  

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As a comparison, I have a 2013 model with a VF 250, and Yamaha Pro Series 14-1/2" x 21" 3-blade prop.  Also equipped with the factory extra set back and Atlas jack plate.  She turns 6000 rpm at WOT and around 60 mph when not fully loaded down with people, fuel and water.  Good hole shot as well.  I have been completely satisfied with performance from day 1.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Tiki Bay Fishing said:

After quite a bit of trial and error, I finally settled on a PowerTech OFX4 18” pitch on my 2400TRS. It’s a good balance of hole shot and performance on plane. My prop is vented but that’s not really required with a 300 HP motor.

How about some performance numbers!  What is your top rpm and speed with the OFX4 18?

• 3 weeks later...