Sign in to follow this  
OSlawyer

A Lot of Water in the Bilge

you can get a moisture meter and check where the most water is. wow, that is a lot of draft added and loss of mph. feel like it is going to take more than cutting a hole in the hull to solve the problem. hope I am wrong. best of luck. 

just a thought.

Launch it, but only half way. Keep it on the trailer and the damaged glass area out of the water. See if the bilge fills up again.

PS - you have more balls than me, taking it out for a ride after finding 6" in the bilge, that's ALOT of water in a few minutes at rest :)

Good luck.

I met with the fiberglass guy today who does not think it likely that the foam would ever really dry. I think the next course is to remove as much of it as possible, then dry out what is left and blow in new closed cell flotation foam. I am not sure how to access all of the foam as we are trying to avoid having to remove the engine and pull the cap off the hull. It seems like it would be a huge job (for a 21 year ole boat) to have to pull off trolling motor connections, trim tab connections, power pole connections, etc.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:22 PM, OSlawyer said:

I met with the fiberglass guy today who does not think it likely that the foam would ever really dry. I think the next course is to remove as much of it as possible, then dry out what is left and blow in new closed cell flotation foam. I am not sure how to access all of the foam as we are trying to avoid having to remove the engine and pull the cap off the hull. It seems like it would be a huge job (for a 21 year ole boat) to have to pull off trolling motor connections, trim tab connections, power pole connections, etc.

Sounds like you have to decide to do a rebuild or sell as salvage....

What do you have into the boat ? $$ wise...

You can just take your loss now....walk away and give it to someone who wants to rebuild....or invest probably $5-7K to have it done by someone. It's going to be 90% labor from what it sounds like.

dc

So outside of the busted hull. Have you addressed the fact that your bulge pump should have been running its behind off the whole time you were taking on that water.