tiburon8u

Maverick 17, 1998

And that 130 rating was with a 2 stroke, I believe quite a bit lighter. You put a heavy 150 plus a full livewell, which is like abother big person, that is a ton of weight in the back of that boat. I'd be more concerned about weight then too much HP.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2017 at 6:51 AM, FLDXT said:

I have a 99 17MA with a DF140, I wouldn't go any heavier. I wouldn't put a DF150 on mine 

How does the 140 perform? I have been looking at those very closely.  From my reading, a lot of people seem to think the HP isn’t rated accurately and they are a good bit shy of a true 140.  What year is yours?

6 hours ago, Derrick929 said:

How does the 140 perform? I have been looking at those very closely.  From my reading, a lot of people seem to think the HP isn’t rated accurately and they are a good bit shy of a true 140.  What year is yours?

Mine is an 04, like I said in abother post, the older ones are geared low, you loSE some top end, but I spin a big 4 blade prop, jump up and burn little fuel, but I'm not gonna win a race. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. But you definitely know it's there, it's as heavy as I would want for this boat.

Yami F115 SHO.  That will be my re-power no doubt.  Light, fast, low maintenance, meets the CG rating, etc.

Second choice would be Merc. 115 Pro XS.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Mine is an 04, like I said in abother post, the older ones are geared low, you loSE some top end, but I spin a big 4 blade prop, jump up and burn little fuel, but I'm not gonna win a race. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. But you definitely know it's there, it's as heavy as I would want for this boat.

Your correct I did already ask that.....sorry for the dup, my memory ain’t what it use to be.

I loaded a Merc 115 pro XS on my 2000' 17" MA and it runs great, still doing some prop testing and breaking in but it's already pushing up 48 mph , my hope is 51-52.  I wouldn't go bigger, that hull will ride low enough on the stern, my goal was to reduce weight.  Speed is fun but at the risk of tearing up the boat not for me....

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

SHO is the way to go!

I've heard the low end torque is pretty good.....I'd go 115SHO on my next repower - hopefully - not for a while :)

dc