Maverick gel coat blisters - pls help??

JWalk

Capt Troy speaks the truth JWalk. They really don't last forever. Not sure where the negative comments about the forum stem from but I  don't think that anyone meant anything mean, nasty, etc... about whatever was said or whatever you didn't like or feel was inappropriate. This is really a bunch of great dudes that love great boats but it is also far from a MBC fan-boy club as evidenced by Convertible13's post, I have been critical as well of the MBC but at the end of the day they're great boats and this forum is a wealth of knowledge that I've seen nowhere else, especially when you get these MA dudes runnin' their mouths about a 2007 double rod locker 21 Master Angler in seafoam star mist green, 4 live well limited edition blah, blah, blah...

If you want drama head over to the Florida Sportsman forum, if you want to pray at the alter of Hells Bay, Microskiff.com is the spot to do that. This is where its at for anything Maverick or Yamaha related.

Buy a Master Angler and don't look back. I drove a 21 from Flamingo to Summerland Key at a pretty brisk pace in some pretty snotty weather and I was more than impressed.

Additionally... I personally thank you for not contributing to the prolific spread of bay boats throughout my native state of Florida. It's a tough fight but it's one we can win with hard work, education and encouraging the used boat buying public to say no to these non-indigenous invasive vessels.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care if you buy it or not, this thread has provided some good entertainment. Although the blistering question raises some eye brows. It's not enough for me to walk away from MBC. I've had 4 MBC boats in the last 6 years. None were perfect, but all were solid boats. Convertible has it right. 

Jason, your fight against bay boats is going to be a grueling battle. They've gone from a 3D platform to a tower/ski boat with live wells and a $4500 JL Stereo... 

3 hours ago, fsusteve said:

You made the right choice, don't sweat it, everyone wants to spend someone else's money, I guarantee most of them wouldn't buy it either.

Amen.

It’s your $, your decision. I wouldnt care what anyone else said.  I wouldn’t buy a boat with that going on either.  It would drive me loco personally. 

Post up the boat and let someone buy it who it doesn’t matter to and we can debate something that really matters....like Pathfinders, and all bay boats for that matter, are better anyways  😬 

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

:PI heard that Egrets don't have this issue.   I heard MBC doesn't anymore either, but Scott hasn't chimed in again with what they did to investigate it and when they resolved it. . . .  (nudge nudge, poke, poke)  

What,s up with that first statement? Envy?

17 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

What were your expectations?  I have been wanting to buy a Maverick for the last year!  I didn't care what shape it was in.  I came close but I screwed that up and to this day feel like SH!T about it.  If you want a Maverick and it has been used, your going to have some issues.  Everyone on this site has been open and honest about what they know.  I can tell you this, I am not a Maverick owner yet, but I will be and when I have an issue this is the first and only place I will go to seek information and knowledge.  As for this specific issue.  My father found his boat half sunk in Biscayne Bay back in the late sixties, paid $300 bucks to have it towed.  50+ year later that boat sits in his backyard with not one blister.  Why!!! Have no idea.  What I do know of technology and innovation is that, things change, some because of safety issue others because of environmental.  Has anyone given thought that the resin product used or gelcoat products used during that time made a change of properties?  

Just my $.02

Luhrs boats were known for blisters due to the fire retardant chemicals in their gel coat, used by navy as patrol boats and carried over to private owned boats. not a fact, but what I was told many years ago by several people.

There are many possible factors that could contribute to more water absorption and gelcoat blistering on one particular hull over another:  A 15+ year-old polyester resin hull, left in the water too long, or left out in the sun too long, or not sealed regularly with a good polymer wax, etc?  MBG can't go there, and shouldn't be expected to.  They build a great product and they have many happy boat owners out there to prove it - myself included.  If a poorly maintained, older boat has porous gelcoat with a blistering problem, it can be made like-new again by sanding and painting the hull with a good epoxy paint.  I've seen boat hulls that were built in the '70s restored with today's high-tech marine coatings and paints and they look better now than they did when they rolled out of the factory.
What MBG can do, going forward, is continue to be an industry leader in design, innovation, and quality of materials and construction.  The construction of the new state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities means MBG is serious about tackling the future in the industry.  I'm sure the leadership at MBG also realizes that today's consumer is much more educated, with the help of the internet, than ever before.  Today, the boat company that has bragging rights for high quality and the best consumer reviews eventually wins over the company that boasts high production and low price - regardless of the company's long history and brand-name recognition.
If my facts are correct - MBG, along with a few select high-end flats and bay boat companies now uses epoxy vinyl ester resin in the construction of their boats.  Some boat builders even advertise Ashland Marine premium resins and gelcoats by name (AME™ 6001).  Here below are links to some good reading material with comparisons and technical data on the various resins and gelcoats used in the marine industry:

Why Epoxy is Preferable to Vinylester and both are Preferable to Polyester

The Advantages of Epoxy Resin versus Polyester in Marine Composite Structures

Ashland Marine - We work best underwater

AME ™ 6001 premium marine resins

Ashland Maxguard ™ SCP high performance marine gelcoats

Man, this thread got intense! I ate too much popcorn so now I'm gona chime in. 

Ok so here's what I know about gel coat blistering....nobody really knows why it happens on some boats & not others of the same make & year. It could be bad resin.  If the hull is not properly maintained then the sun and/or water absorption could be culprits. Perhaps it's a mixture of all 3? At least that's what I've heard from a few gel coat reps. 

I've seen numerous vessels (from center consoles to yachts) with gel coat blister issues over the years at our boat yard. The vessels I speak of all have bottom paint so I'm talking about blistering well above the water line. We can't understand why some have issues while others of the same make, model & year look fine. 

My white 1995 17MA & red 2001 17T didn't blister. Nor has my current ice blue HPX. I'd believe the bad resin theory if I knew the original owner of a 15+/- yr old blistered Maverick that has been well maintained, trailer stored & not kept in the water more than a week at a time. 

On October 14, 2017 at 7:34 AM, fin-addict said:

Luhrs boats were known for blisters due to the fire retardant chemicals in their gel coat, used by navy as patrol boats and carried over to private owned boats. not a fact, but what I was told many years ago by several people.

I don't think it was Luhrs that had blistering problems.  I think you are referring to Uniflite.  They made patrol boats and blistering problems.

Archived