Livewell system leak - MA18

palmetto1

As you likely know its not easy to get in the sump and see what going on.  I have a plumbing leak for sure.  It feels like it is running down from the strainer housing.  If I wrap my hand around the housing I can feel water running down my fingers.  I took the strainer cover off and noticed there is no seal in there.  Is there supposed to be?  The clear top did not appear to be cracked.

Any other ideas?

3 hours ago, justfish said:

Agreee. Get rid of it I’ve never found much of anything in mine. The cheese greater on the sea chest strains the grass. 

Only thing I think they are useful for is relieving vapor lock 

Yep...took mine out after several problems....the cheese grater can handle it. Also seems like my Rule 800 Tournament pumps last longer now too. 

I'm not sure if the strainers were restricting the water flow...but the Rule rep said that the pumps are water lubricated and that if water is off or restricted and the pumps run for very long " dry" they will in fact burn up. We were fishing in more grass then as compared to now...They never disputed that the pump failed and they will replace any Rule Tournament series pumps free of charge if you send them the old one. Mine seemed to get more sand in them than grass....the last time I had to change one, I removed the strainers and replaced both pumps...I also replaced the plastic cheese grater with a stainless one and now three  seasons coming up and no problems so far. Maybe it was the strainers / maybe not.... either way, I threw them in trash. Who knows....maybe Rule makes a better pump than they used to.

44 minutes ago, palmetto1 said:

I did find an o-ring at a local hardware store and it did appear to fix the strainer leak.  Still got some water coming in from somewhere and appeared to be when I was using the livewell so still looking for more leaks.

If you use the long standpipe, water can escape around the top of the livewell where it is supposed to be sealed against the bottom of the deck.  It is very common to have to reseal that joint.  In fact,  I am going to have to do mine when it cools off.......  I just use my bait well for live shrimp, so I have started using the short standpipe (thanks to wannaflatsfish mentioning this). Eureka, it has almost entirely eliminated water in the bilge. 

Archived