justfish

Generators

21 hours ago, BradM said:

They're getting better about getting it back on, I guess. JEA rides by and always says "Mandarin is just the worst hit area in town." I can only imagine they mean worst pertaining to downed trees. It was bad this go around, but I don't think any worse than Matthew (in my specific area). We lost power at 9a the morning befor Irma...simple nor'easter did us in. 

How are you guys coming along? I can lend a hand, just need to know when is good so I can work around my wife's schedule. Kids, you know. 

I live on a tidal creek in Fernandina Bch. with a mass of old growth oaks which fell on the overhead power lines at the front of the island which in turn took care of   us for an outage. On the good side, Matthew thinned out the water oaks and Irma did a little more.  Almost lost my Safe Haven boat dock but my neighbor tied it off to the dock house.  Have a company that trims my trees each year so they came and cleaned up the debris. Now we have another "Nor'easter" which is pushing the tides up the creek and close to going over the dock. I need to put extensions of my pilings so my floating docks don't become floaters.

• Like 1

Considering natural gas/ multi fuel option.  When City was repairing our water lines (no water or power) they cut the gas feed to neighborhood...following the excitement of Hazmet team closing area we got gas back.  So much for nat gas only option. :)

Ran a 4000 unit first few days..ran the fridge, fans...borrowed a 7500 and wired into house. Ran everything but stove, pool and AC...and lots of trips to gas stations with the associated standing in long lines.   The sound of generators (and chain saws) is pretty common in my neighborhood.  Yeah, FPL is darn cheap vs. gas generators.   After that year of 4 storms my neighbor put in 13500 system uses LP or gas.  Runs whole house...and I think I want, but having trouble justifying cost to use maybe 5 days a year.   But oh, those 5-7 days are no fun.  

Following this thread as I consider what the options are and what my pocketbook affords.  

If anyone decides to go whole hog and get a diesel I must point out that a 1800 RPM genset is the key to longevity and fuel efficiency. There are many diesel engines out there, usually designed specifically to run generators or irrigation pumps, that simply will run forever @ 1800 RPM with proper maintenance. My wife talked to many of her co-workers who's generators "blew-up" after a day or two of use. I understand that many of these generators have probably been neglected for years since the last long power outage so I'm not saying diesel is the only way to go by any means.

We dropped the coin because out where I live we can lose power for extended periods of time and we're not planning on ever moving so it was a good investment. Even if we did move I guess I could take it with me. Since a diesel and LPNG/Propane set up are roughly the same cost, to me it was a no-brainer when factoring longevity, fuel efficiency, and not having to depend on someone else for fuel (I know I'm depending on a gas station to be open and have diesel, I get it early and store it)

• Like 1

I just saw this thread.

Isn't there a limit on the amount of emergency Fuel/flammables that we are allowed to store in residential areas?

I believe less than 10 gallons if the garage is attached to the house, or 30 in a shed separate from house.

I have a 300 gallon tank at home that I used to fill with BIODIESEL, that I used in my previous truck, since it's not considered "flammable" fuel, (it's classified as a additive I believe.)

I haven't used it since i have a new truck and didn't want to void the warranty.

Not sure. I live in an agricultural area so I never thought about it, never heard of that to be honest but i wouldn't be surprised either.