Water Quality

Capt. Troy

Did a sea trial yesterday to set up the electronics on a buddies new boat. The Anclote river and surrounding water is black. The debris is still around but not real bad. Ran out about 12 miles to some known reefs to set up and test the bottom machine. Water was an off color green/grey but there was some bait on the Veterans reef.

A very defined tide line of what appears the fresh water plume meeting the salt was at around 3 miles offshore. The barrier Islands look a little beat and some sand moved around but it's hard to tell how much sand due to the water quality. I would not plan on doing any swimming along the beaches around my area.

Fished the south shore yesterday with my dad,  water was brown.  Still a lot of fresh water coming out of the rivers.  No Reds, few small Trout, couple Snook, one 32"er that could've come home for dinner, but just couldn't keep her.  Had some fun with some Big Jack's, and we got a surprise Pompano catch on the flat on a jerkbait, that did come home for dinner.

IMG_20170929_115402.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ran all over creation around Egmont Shipping Channel and Skyway on Monday and water temp had gone back up by about 3-4 degrees (was 84), dirty water with tons of flotsam and debris still coming in from the Gulf, very little bird/bait/fish activity.  A few mack blitzes here and there but mostly full of big blue runners (great kingfish bait if you're looking).  Otherwise, waste of time and gas.

Archived