Jump to content
Damanlee

Hewes 18 vs maverick

Recommended Posts

Hello guys and gals I am in the process of deciding on buying a hewes 18 vs Maverick 18 and wondered what the difference was in the real world drafts in the two boats with a normal fishing load on them, 2 to 3 people, gas, Etc. I do fish shallow and run in shallow creeks but don't plan on polling that much or for great distances here in Jacksonville. Maybe on the flood tides and that's about it. Thanks for any info you can provide, hopefully part of the MBG family soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man,.... there's a few threads out there on this forum that discuss this topic. There's a pretty strong following for the Master Anglers. Just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was mainly looking for information on some of the newer models since the revamp of the boats a couple years back. I do wish they would bring back the Master Angler

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Damanlee said:

Hello guys and gals I am in the process of deciding on buying a hewes 18 vs Maverick 18 and wondered what the difference was in the real world drafts in the two boats with a normal fishing load on them, 2 to 3 people, gas, Etc. I do fish shallow and run in shallow creeks but don't plan on polling that much or for great distances here in Jacksonville. Maybe on the flood tides and that's about it. Thanks for any info you can provide, hopefully part of the MBG family soon. 

I have owned 4 MBC boats...over the past 15 years

 

1.) Hewes 18 RF - 2003 paid about $28K with F115 - good boat for a "beginner" in the Flats...can have good resale +/-

2.) Patherfinder 22 - 2005 paid about $32K  Classic - F150 - great bay boat - enough said 

3.) Pathfinder 17T - 1998 Paid about $8.5K  Skinny Mini -with a 50HP - great little light skiff - but, was not what I needed for the fishing I was doing...open water I would get a good beating...but, for the skinny, no better - as I used to say on my Avatar - Standing birds in the water fear me :)

4.) Maverick MA 17 - paid $11.5K - a mint 1995 Best boat so far for all around for me..i use the trolling motor 90% of the time - ease of trailering, handling, etc. etc. great chop - my "last MHP boat"....no need for anything more for me

I have ridden many times in a HPX 18 - very different boat from RF18 or MA17 - it's a poling skiff with Open Water capabilities.  Fit and finish is better than RF18.

Draft - real world - RF18 - 12" fully loaded,  MA 17 - 12" fully loaded ; HPX 18 - probably 8-10" fully loaded with TM batteries etc.., but, the HPX 18 will be 100% easier to Poll if that's what you like to do.

If you plan on using a Trolling Motor alot - then look for good used MA 17 or 18 as they will take the chop and the ride is a bit drier.  

Bottom line, if you asked me...would you "buy" another RF18 - No, Would I buy a MA 17 or 18 or HPX 18 - Yes

Remember, unless you are on the tower poling - a "better deal" would be MA 17 or 18, but, that being said, if you can find a good used late model HPX 18 or even new, put a trolling motor on it and you have a great skiff, livewells, etc.  But, the price $$$ is signficant vs a good used MA.

What I found is very simple...since I don't poll alot...then draft is meaningless....for my TM work (I have an Ulteraa), I need at least 18-24" of comfortable water or I'm kicking up flumes of mud...and scaring da feeeesh...I typically TM over 50-100 yards from where I'm going to fish...so, I stop a long ways from the "spot" then slowly TM into the location...while doing so, it's on lock direction and I'm sitting back or preparing the gear.

One man's opinion...have i confused you enough?

 

dc

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Damanlee said:

...don't plan on polling that much or for great distances here in Jacksonville. Maybe on the flood tides and that's about it...

If this is the only reason for a HPX then DO NOT spend the extra money. The reason I say this is because a HPX18 drafts too much to effectively fish the flood tides in Jacksonville. Your working with a pretty short period of time and if you're waiting for 10" of water your time line is even shorter. In the cases where you have extremely high water giving you extended time on the flat with a "big boat" like a HPX18 your not going to see the fish around the top of the cycle anyway. One: you're not goin to see a lot of tailing reds in 12"+ of water (I know sometimes they're standing on their heads, but usually not) and Two: in JAX 90% of the time you'll be fishing at dusk into the evening so you're not goin go see them unless they're pushing wake or have their tail exposed. If you want to effectively fish the flood tides and be able to cover multiple flats during a tide cycle you really need something drafting in the neighborhood of 5"-6" or less, if not, you're better off nosing the boat into the grass and wading the flat.

I spent many fall evenings on the flats in JAX and the best (most cost effective and efficient) way to do it is out of a old Gheenoe, I traded a kayak for my 1978 Gheenoe and my wife's kayak for a sweet 2 stroke Yamaha 5HP. I fall in line with the Cult on this one, buy a good used MA for your main boat and a little beater for flood tide fishing. Two boats is always better than one anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I have owned 4 MBC boats...over the past 15 years

 

1.) Hewes 18 RF - 2003 paid about $28K with F115 - good boat for a "beginner" in the Flats...can have good resale +/-

2.) Patherfinder 22 - 2005 paid about $32K  Classic - F150 - great bay boat - enough said 

3.) Pathfinder 17T - 1998 Paid about $8.5K  Skinny Mini -with a 50HP - great little light skiff - but, was not what I needed for the fishing I was doing...open water I would get a good beating...but, for the skinny, no better - as I used to say on my Avatar - Standing birds in the water fear me :)

4.) Maverick MA 17 - paid $11.5K - a mint 1995 Best boat so far for all around for me..i use the trolling motor 90% of the time - ease of trailering, handling, etc. etc. great chop - my "last MHP boat"....no need for anything more for me

I have ridden many times in a HPX 18 - very different boat from RF18 or MA17 - it's a poling skiff with Open Water capabilities.  Fit and finish is better than RF18.

Draft - real world - RF18 - 12" fully loaded,  MA 17 - 12" fully loaded ; HPX 18 - probably 8-10" fully loaded with TM batteries etc.., but, the HPX 18 will be 100% easier to Poll if that's what you like to do.

If you plan on using a Trolling Motor alot - then look for good used MA 17 or 18 as they will take the chop and the ride is a bit drier.  

Bottom line, if you asked me...would you "buy" another RF18 - No, Would I buy a MA 17 or 18 or HPX 18 - Yes

Remember, unless you are on the tower poling - a "better deal" would be MA 17 or 18, but, that being said, if you can find a good used late model HPX 18 or even new, put a trolling motor on it and you have a great skiff, livewells, etc.  But, the price $$$ is signficant vs a good used MA.

What I found is very simple...since I don't poll alot...then draft is meaningless....for my TM work (I have an Ulteraa), I need at least 18-24" of comfortable water or I'm kicking up flumes of mud...and scaring da feeeesh...I typically TM over 50-100 yards from where I'm going to fish...so, I stop a long ways from the "spot" then slowly TM into the location...while doing so, it's on lock direction and I'm sitting back or preparing the gear.

One man's opinion...have i confused you enough?

 

dc

 

Thorough assessment, but the 18RF capabilities aren't well represented here based on my experience. I've owned a 22'PF w/ a 200hpdi and an 18RF with a 150vmax, fished both the same way in the same water with the same amount of gear and the 18RF easily drafts 2/3 maybe less than the 22PF, plus is light enough to jump out and push off by yourself if you happen to get stuck. I don't pole much either, but the platform is nice to have when you do and for elevated casting. I've heard the 18RF underperformans with a 115, but it's a 60mph boat with a 150. It's no match for a 22PF in open water but most inshore seas are easily navigated with the benefit of the trim trabs and some experience. I'd recommend buying a model that is still in production, and if you get an older model like a MA, make sure the motor is still in serviceable condition or one that has been repowered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input Savvy. The "get out and push yourself" is a big deal since I seem to be running on sand bars left and right or get stuck back in creeks at low tide and have to push myself off more than I would like to say9_9... Im not worried about top speed so much as much as hole shot and draft, I wonder if the 115 would pop it up quick enough with the correct prop. As long as I can run 40-45 top end, Im fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Redfisher 16 with a 115 SHO running a Mercury SpitFire X7 (13 X 17p) prop.  Holeshot is outstanding and it tops out at 49 MPH, but my boat weighs about 200 LBS less than a Redfisher 18.  My prop really needs to be an 18 pitch because I'm hitting 6400 RPM @ WOT, so the 17 pitch would probably be just right for a Redfisher 18.  I can only relay what I have learned from research, printed specs and others' experiences on the Redfisher 18 vs Master Angler 18.  The Redfisher 18 is lighter, longer, wider, slightly faster and has 2" less draft than a similarly equipped Master Angler 18.  The Master Angler 18 has a sharper forward vee entry that flares out, for a super soft and dry ride in choppy seas.  The Master Angler 18 owners on this board are a close-knit Brotherhood, who truly love the MA 18 above all else, and for very good reasons.  I think they probably meet at a secret location once a month, and you cannot attend unless you know the secret handshake.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, geeviam said:

I think they probably meet at a secret location once a month, and you cannot attend unless you know the secret handshake. 

Don't forget us MA17 owners....we have an even more secret club...(LOL)

16 hours ago, savvy said:

Thorough assessment, but the 18RF capabilities aren't well represented here based on my experience

Yes, you make a few good points on the "push off a bank"....been there done that with the RF18...you "don't do that too easily with the 22PF".

I don't agree with the F115 assessment...with the right "prop" 4 blade, hole shot is excellent and who wants to go faster than 40 mph when running in 2 feet of water...

In a RF18, at much over 45-50 (I've been in one with a 150hp), it gets to me, darn near chime walkish (if that's a word). And, in a chop, you arent' gona run much faster than 25 -30, unless you have a plastic jock strap holding all the family jewels in place....

yes, it probably drafts a bit less than a MA17 or 18, but, it's not really a polling boat (maybe 20 years ago when it was first designed), when there are so many other alternatives... it is nimble when a TM and easy on the trailer off and on.....

My further $0.02....

DC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, geeviam said:

The Master Angler 18 owners on this board are a close-knit Brotherhood, who truly love the MA 18 above all else, and for very good reasons.  I think they probably meet at a secret location once a month, and you cannot attend unless you know the secret handshake.  ;)

It's funny you say that because you're absolutely right. Minus the covert illuminati meetings...  One of the things we've found with this forum is there are guys out there with the same interests as you. It's not THT where the keyboard commandos are racing to nuke the new first person with a "new guy question". We genuinely want to help people out. Yeah, we're loyal to the Master Angler hulls. We all just happen to have 18s. If my stars lined up a few months ago, Steve's 21 would be in my driveway right now. A Deuce Uno still isn't off my radar, but there isn't any CBDR right now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geeviam - that was funny, true, and well deserved.  We do love our MAs!   Does the RF really have a wider beam than the MA, and is it longer?  The MA is 18.6 and I always thought the redfisher was narrower, but I could be completely blinded by my die-hard MA infatuation.  :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, geeviam said:

I have a Redfisher 16 with a 115 SHO running a Mercury SpitFire X7 (13 X 17p) prop.  Holeshot is outstanding and it tops out at 49 MPH, but my boat weighs about 200 LBS less than a Redfisher 18.  My prop really needs to be an 18 pitch because I'm hitting 6400 RPM @ WOT, so the 17 pitch would probably be just right for a Redfisher 18.  I can only relay what I have learned from research, printed specs and others' experiences on the Redfisher 18 vs Master Angler 18.  The Redfisher 18 is lighter, longer, wider, slightly faster and has 2" less draft than a similarly equipped Master Angler 18.  The Master Angler 18 has a sharper forward vee entry that flares out, for a super soft and dry ride in choppy seas.  The Master Angler 18 owners on this board are a close-knit Brotherhood, who truly love the MA 18 above all else, and for very good reasons.  I think they probably meet at a secret location once a month, and you cannot attend unless you know the secret handshake.  ;)

lol  Every board has it's Peanut Gallery. My question is which one is less "tippy"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've "heard" oF somebody having to push a 17MA about 150 yds in shin deep water somehwere....apparently maybe a new area, super low tide....just saying it can be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

I've "heard" oF somebody having to push a 17MA about 150 yds in shin deep water somehwere....apparently maybe a new area, super low tide....just saying it can be done. 

There are similar reports of a certain yellow 18 MA being shoved through shin deep water in a certain marsh on an outgoing tide.  It can definitely be done, just not one of the more enjoyable experiences of MA ownership.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

There are similar reports of a certain yellow 18 MA being shoved through shin deep water in a certain marsh on an outgoing tide.  It can definitely be done, just not one of the more enjoyable experiences of MA ownership.  

In Carteret County the saying is if you say you have not had to get out and push you're lying.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in St Aug and very similar and fished Jax a lot. I am confused as to what "maverick" your asking about but if you're fishing the creeks either the redfisher or master angler would be top picks for area. Prob wouldn't notice much difference in fishabilty the MA takes the cake for ride. 

The new poling Mavs are super nice but really just not ideal for our area as it's more creek fishing than flats except the floods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Geeviam - that was funny, true, and well deserved.  We do love our MAs!   Does the RF really have a wider beam than the MA, and is it longer?  The MA is 18.6 and I always thought the redfisher was narrower, but I could be completely blinded by my die-hard MA infatuation.  :) 

My '01 18RF, rail to rail, measures 18'7" LOA and 7'7" beam. Not sure how the factory measurements are taken, but believe the newer RF models are listed as being just a few inches longer in both categories. I've never been in an 18MA, but in the many pictures I've seen over the years, the hull basically mirrors the PFs (or vice versa) which is why I assume they are reported to ride so well in a chop, which I can attest to having owned a 22PF for many years. And for the record, 60mph is not normal operating speed, but really really fun when the water conditions are right on the way back in after a good day👍👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a pic of my friend's 18 RF.  It rides great and will run in the 60's. I do not think anyone would want to pole this boat very much, it is heavy. It is a very nice boat.  I can't compare it to the MA because it has been two Pathfinders ago since I have been in a MA. However, mine was an older 18.5 with a Yamaha 130 two stroke....it was a great boat also and sometimes I wish I still had her. My two cents, JJ

IMG_1040.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was referring to the maverick hpx-v 18. I was leaning more toward the redfisher and I am glad I asked you guys. This forum is seriously blowing me away with all the first hand info and has me rolling xD Btw fishmanjj that is a beautiful boat (and dog).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Damanlee said:

I was referring to the maverick hpx-v 18. I was leaning more toward the redfisher and I am glad I asked you guys. This forum is seriously blowing me away with all the first hand info and has me rolling xD Btw fishmanjj that is a beautiful boat (and dog).

If you have the money, buy a new 18hpxv for 55-60k, up to 20% less for a good used one right here on this forum. If you want to spend a third of that and have a boat that does 90% of the same thing as a new 18hpxv, buy an early 2000s 18RF and you'll be very happy. I wouldn't recommend either one without a 150hp motor 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×