Care and Maintenance

n8vg8r

Just got a 2012 2400 TRS Yamaha 250SHO VMAX ~350 hours.  Took out of Fort Desoto yesterday for the first time.  Wow what a ride, big step up from my 16' Carolina Skiff.  Looking for basic care and maintenance routine especially after each outing.  Gonna store it on the trailer at a marina.  

Agree with keeping hatches open if indoors.  Several times a year, I clean the inevitable mildew underneath the hatch lids and the bilge as far as I can reach with a spray cleaner and paper towels.  Once a year, dump a few gallons of biodegradable bilge cleaner in the bilge and circle the neighborhood.  I have the boat detailed and waxed twice a year.  I spray the wire connections, battery terminals, etc several times a year with something like Corrosion Block.  If you have wet cell batts, keep them topped off with distilled water.  Always charge trolling batts after use, and don't let them stay discharged any longer than necessary.  Obviously, and probably MOST important, especially with the SHO, keep a sharp  eye on your oil dipstick!

On 9/25/2017 at 2:27 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Rinse the trailer like your life depended on it. You can buy a curved wand with a shut-off that fits on the end of the garden hose at most any hardware or home improvement store. Best thing ever for washing down the trailer. Don't forget to thoroughly wash down your trailer brakes.   

Yup. What SCFD said. Those wands are great for getting behind the wheels and really soaking the brake assemblies with fresh water.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:59 AM, n8vg8r said:

Looking for basic care and maintenance routine especially after each outing.  Gonna store it on the trailer at a marina.  

Good advice above.

Here are 2 more things to do.

Get some "Salt-Away", a concentrated product that will help to protect the brakes.  Mix it with water as directed and keep it in a small garden sprayer in the back of your truck.  Here is the important part...when you launch the boat and pull the trailer out of the water, spray the brakes immediately with the Salt-Away.  Don't let the trailer sit in the sun all day with the salt water on the brakes!  When you pull the boat out of the water at day's end, either wash carefully with fresh water as suggested above or hit them with the Salt-Away again.

If the boat is stored outside at the marina, get a "down-to-the-waterline" cover.  The sun is the enemy of your boat's finish.  He's mine...

IMG_2232.thumb.jpg.e2966fd1ed363bfce4bd707d74a1c234.jpg

If you do get a cover, the hatches can't be wide open.  Get a few tennis balls and use them to keep the hatches open a few inches anyway.

Good luck with the new boat, you've asked the right questions already.

Get some di-electric grease and put a light coat on all electrical connections, bus bars and other exposed connections. If possible go to the nearest canvas shop and have a cover made for your console. It will make a huge difference keeping the switches, gauges and other things in working order in and on the console.

Archived