Pimp My Deluxe

schwaggen

After a lot of hemming and hawing, and several trips that demonstrated the needs, I finally broke down and sought professional help for my boat.

1.) Trolling Motor- bought a used Motorguide Digital 82 lb from Capt. Bill Blanton, which has been sitting in my shed for months.

2.) Been eyeing those PowerPoles...too many times I've been hoping to push the "pause" button while fishing, or castnetting bait, and so, it was time.

I called Bob at Shallow Water Customs, who I would HIGHLY recommend. As a lot of these things tend to do, I went there to get a trolling motor installed, and left with a much improved boat.

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/schwaggen/DSC01323.jpg[/image]

We installed a Motorguide quick release mount, and Bob's guys also put in a slick quik-connect plug. They had to fabricate a starboard plug for my old Deluxe flip-hatch (and we will install a new bow cleat)

In the anchorwell, there was an old marine ply/gl*** shelf from a previous owner that had obviously been built to serve as a rest for trolling motor batteries- Bob built a cool starboard box to hold my Odysseys, as well as mounting the charger and circuit breaker all out of harm's way.

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/schwaggen/DSC01311.jpg[/image]

They also managed to mount a remote plug for the charger on my forward cockpit bulkhead, aft of the gas tank, which could not have been easy.

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/schwaggen/DSC01313.jpg[/image]

While I was there, I notice he had a used 6 ft PowerPole on the workbench. "Is this for sale?" and there you go. Which led to a whole new set of issues.

The center of the power/wiring/junk universe was always my starboard aft compartment. Battery, switches, wiring, pumps, etc all lived in messy harmony back there. Which Bob simply couldn't have.

So they moved my cranking battery and battery switch and all the wiring into my teeny tiny little console- it's like one of those clown cars, where twenty bozos get out of one little car. I have no idea how they got it in there.

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/schwaggen/DSC01317.jpg[/image]

Leaving the formerly crappy aft compartment with a neat install of the PP pump, and lots of room for more crap (castnets, beach toys, etc)

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/schwaggen/DSC01315.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/schwaggen/DSC01318.jpg[/image]

All in all, I can say I'm VERY happy with the work , and all the new gear- so much so that I foolishly decided to go fishing this morning. Which is another story. But I will say that this trolling motor will MOVE my lard-azz boat into a 20 kt. breeze with authority.

Looking forward to getting lots more use out of all of it.

1179698901-DSC01323.JPG.f1bb4efb7464fd13

No plans to sell- I'm too upside-down in it anyways.

It's not the perfect boat for my life (4 kids) but it's a great compromise, and I love owning it. So it stays.

Someday I'll have something bigger (Contender-ish), and maybe something smaller (Gladesman-ish). But I'll always have the Schwaverick.

• 2 weeks later...
No plans to sell...

It's not the perfect boat for my life (4 kids) but it's a great compromise, and I love owning it. So it stays.

God Bless this Man! He has four kids and still ain't selling his flats boat!

Just when I think I have my boat the way I want it you had to go and post all these pictures. Now I'm going to have build me a battery box, put in a new breaker, install a battery switch, buy a new steering wheel etc. I do have the offset console covered though. Big improvement.

I second that Schwaggen!! On all accounts!!! I too plan on keeping my Master Angler(may get burried in it), I'd like to get a Contenderish(waiting for kids to go to college), and have the gladesman(just need to pay for it)

I like your thinking! You'd be crazy to sell that Maverick -she's beautiful, specially now with the new toys.

Thanks, guys. Doc, you get all the credit for the reverse platform- it does work great- although I have to confess the top of my cowling has some scrapes on it from me panic tilting up in shallow water w/o looking back and hearing the "SCHREEECH" of it digging under the platform.

I hear you about the kids going away...someday I see a Grand Banks 42 mothership towing a smaller skiff to launch trips out in the Marquesas, Bahamas, Belize, etc.....

Digging the boat. Going to try and get out at SOME point this week....

Interesting. If I scrounge up the bucks, I may do something similar.

A couple of questions:

* Did moving the batteries up help the "squat" you have mentioned in past?

* Was that plywood floor in the front hatch part of the install for the batteries? I'm ***uming it's epoxied or or something but that is gonna take some abuse from anchor rattling around?

* Any issues/concerns with having batteries, gas tank in same place?

* What are you going to do with the rear hatch space? The way mine is designed, it's actually open to the bilge and I've been tryign to think how to make it useful for semi-dry storage if I moved batteries forward.

* Did moving the batteries up help the "squat" you have mentioned in past?

yes, a little. Mostly, at rest, you used to notice a definite heel to starboard, which is no more.

*Was that plywood floor in the front hatch part of the install for the batteries? I'm ***uming it's epoxied or or something but that is gonna take some abuse from anchor rattling around?

It was there when I got the boat- it was obviously installed by a previous owner for this purpose (the old battery mounts were still there) and I believe it is gl***ed in.

* Any issues/concerns with having batteries, gas tank in same place?

You know, I asked the same thing. But Bob at ShallowWaterCustoms seemed not to think it was an issue. There are usually some :faint: gas fumes up there, but I think it's pretty minimal.

* What are you going to do with the rear hatch space? The way mine is designed, it's actually open to the bilge and I've been tryign to think how to make it useful for semi-dry storage if I moved batteries forward.

Excellent question- I am working on this. Mine is open to the bilge, plus I have the Powerpole pump and gas filter in there. Bob was going to fabricate a starboard divider to keep stuff out of the bilge, but I think I just need some sort of webbing or netting to keep stuff in the compartment- I have some left over from an old dive bag - I like being able to see down into the bilge from here (much better access than the submarine hatch in the motor well) Right now the compartment is empty.

And Capt. Bill: check out this thread:

http://www.maverickboats.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/16524/post/113114/hl//

The short answer: Home Depot Garden Dept. 10 x 20 shelter.

I need to get over there to fly fish and have you show me Choko some time.

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. It's a nice ride. Next up: Gelcoat repair, and re-doing the TEAK! (ugh...)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Schwaggen,

Will do! I purchased the boat from an insurance company after it had been "totaled". The boat was struck from the side while on the trailer and there was considerable trailer and hull damage...luckily the trailer took the brunt of the force. I have purchased a new trailer and am having the hull repaired now (mostly scrapes and gouges). I will post pics once out of the shop. I had those two aluminum access hatches forward of the console cut out and replaced with a standard fibergl*** "manhole" cover...they were gl***ed in from the bottom side! One question...as it is, the 150 Yamaha rubs the poling platform (leaning forward just like you had it)...did you have clearance issues?

Thx

Wow- that's too bad about the accident.

Those aluminum plates in the floor were base plates for bolt-in "Guide seats" (the original owner was a guide in Texas).

And yes- I put the F150 on that boat (I bought in un-powered - it was damaged in Hurricane Katrina) and the motor is considerably taller than the original Yamaha 130 2-stroke- so the clearance is an issue- it tilts enough to have the skeg clear the plane of the bottom, but you have to be careful. You'll note that I reversed the platform (it originally raked aft) in order to gain precious inches of tilt.

I had also bought that trailer second-hand, so it being wrecked = no big loss.

It's a great cl***ic hull that is the best all-round boat I ever owned- You'll love it.

Send pics when you have them.

Archived