SeaDek cost on Hewes 16 Lappy?

dgr116

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the cost to have SeaDek put on my 1997 Hewes Bayfisher 16'.  

From what I have read, a lot will depend on the area, patterns, thickness, etc.  I understand there might be a big difference in cost... I am really just looking for some ballpark prices for the cockpit vs. cockpit and entire deck.  

Also, I would appreciate any real world feedback related to SeaDek (positive or negative).  I am the second owner, have had her for 10yrs, might keep forever, and don't want to have any regrets.  

Thank you in advance!

Hewes.jpg

My opinion on Sea Dek is that if you plan to keep it for a long time you will regret it. It looks cool at first but it will look worn over a couple of years. Also google for SeaDek disappointment. There is a thread on the hull truth that describes how the foam can draw up if your gel coat is too shiny. I had it in a previous boat and mine did the exact same thing in the corners. I'm sure a lot of people love there's. But if you plan on keeping your boat "forever" one day you will not be loving it 

Two sides to every coin and perhaps I may be in the minority but plan on keeping my boat forever and did deck it. Would again too. My Seadek is 7 years old with 900 hours on it so needless to say I am a  fan and wouldn't own a boat without it. I did replace the front nose cone piece due to wearing down the pattern a bit from always bow fishing but despite all the wear it never came up. Kids and my wife love it but honestly even without the family I would do it all over again just for the comfort and non skid.  Its hard to ball park the cost now a days. Florida has several installers including the company themselves and now a few competing products and most have kits to fit your boat and could quote you instantly. Too many variables. Thickness can literally and obviously double the cost but gains longevity or if you are like me and use it to avoid cushions when the family goes then thickness counts. Logos and installations add to the cost too. Its easy enough to install though if your handy. Like most reviews online I think the ones that are unhappy spend more time on the keyboard as you never hear from the happy campers usually. I read that thread and while my 1996 only had 167 hours on it when I installed the product the gel coat was shiny but no issues as they described. It is garaged though and not hanging on a lift in the weather etc which I am sure are all factors that influence longevity too. Others on here will weigh in I am sure too with pros and cons and unlike other forums I think there is some honesty on here. Or at least no one on here I know of is repping the product lol.  A few members have even put it down and few years later removed and reinstalled I think. They would be excellent resources. Member "Outlaw" maybe if I recall? It isn't going to be quick to remove judging from the one piece I did but it wasn't hard. Just took some time with heat gun and it pulled up in one piece then acetone for the remaining adhesive. Slow going no doubt. Years later their color matched to a T so you could always try it up front and see if you liked it then do more later or as budget allows. 

IMG_0695.jpg

Triplec provides an excellent overview...

I also think it depends on the type of "fishing" you do...if I were throwing the net most of the time with all the gunk, etc. coming up with it, I don't think I'd be wanting to put down SeaDeck..if I was more of an Arti-fisherman, who enjoys walking the deck in barefoot (not my style) but, for some it works, then it's a great product...

If you use the boat a lot for family time - a definite plus...

If you leave it 100% in the Sun - probably not

If you have a cover as mentioned above...probably so.

If you'd like to bring your older lappy a nice upgrade for a few $$$ then it's easier and lesss expensive then an entire gelcoat re-shoot, depending on how much you are doing etc.

DC

Great feedback and much appreciated.  The boat is garage kept.  I get it on the water about 4x per month... 75% I am throwing flies/artificial and 25% I am helping my 4yr and 6yr girls catch fish.  My wife saw a SeaDek commercial and mentioned she would like that on our boat... thus started the research process.  I have fished on other boats that have it and thought it was a great addition but was always fearful of how it would survive the elements long term.  Thank you again for your input.

In the cockpit of my Sport fish. Under charter use I got 6 years and replaced at 7 as it was looking rough. I like for the comfort but as it ages it gets a little harder to clean. The biggest pro was having it in the pit and the helm station is how much quieter it made the 1000 Hp under mt feet.

Tyler at castaway customs did mine.

Lot of area and cost was around 1500 bucks. This is the helm and the pit is another 80 square feet.

VQr38va.jpg

3 hours ago, dgr116 said:

Great feedback and much appreciated.  The boat is garage kept.  I get it on the water about 4x per month... 75% I am throwing flies/artificial and 25% I am helping my 4yr and 6yr girls catch fish.  My wife saw a SeaDek commercial and mentioned she would like that on our boat... thus started the research process.  I have fished on other boats that have it and thought it was a great addition but was always fearful of how it would survive the elements long term.  Thank you again for your input.

Sounds like it might meet your requirements....

dc

One section of my deck is very worn, otherwise looks really good after 3 years..always in the sun and constant abuse.  Love on bare feet..seems the boat is quieter too.   Thickness is huge impact on price.   I like when using a net, leads don't bang on glass and it washes off easy.

I'd like to chime in on the point regarding distortion and "shiny gelcoat"...  NO MATTER what product you may put down distortion (or color) can occur even in gelcoat where an area of your boat has a vertical surface in a radius corner where magnification of light is present. These are areas where solar reflection is greatest.  It happens to everything, ever see a dashboard on a car distort, or burnt looking areas on a headliner?  That can happen to SeaDek or any other product that you would consider putting down, there is a simple way to mitigate it as well...  (It is a bit unfortunate that SeaDek also gets "fingered" for products claiming to be the same but are not. I've seen the copy cat products fare far worse in a very short period of time..)

Anyway, I am redoing my old 2000 17' MA and it's going to get a full original SeaDek treatment, the wife can't wait...! 

Archived