My new 1977 18 maverick

Vdubbin1967

Now THAT is cool!   If it is a '77, then it is actually a Berg boat, not a Maverick, but it is the same hull that eventually became the Maverick Master Angler.   Clearly that one has been completely re-done, and I see some things that I really like - particularly the toe rails to keep fly-line on the deck and not in the water!   

Odd that you are having trouble getting on plane.  I had an 87 MA with a very old 115 on it and it jumped up on plane pretty quickly.   May be a prop issue, or you may not be getting the correct amount of power out of it due to fuel/carbon build up/ etc.  

Would love to hear more details on the boat!

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Now THAT is cool!   If it is a '77, then it is actually a Berg boat, not a Maverick, but it is the same hull that eventually became the Maverick Master Angler.   Clearly that one has been completely re-done, and I see some things that I really like - particularly the toe rails to keep fly-line on the deck and not in the water!   

Odd that you are having trouble getting on plane.  I had an 87 MA with a very old 115 on it and it jumped up on plane pretty quickly.   May be a prop issue, or you may not be getting the correct amount of power out of it due to fuel/carbon build up/ etc.  

Would love to hear more details on the boat!

Thanks for the compliment!  I heard that Scott deal owned this boat and this is one that made him buy the tooling and molds to make the mavericks.   It is a healthy 115 etec I just serviced...  runs about 36 mph at 5500 rpm.    I thought it would be faster...   I'm trying to figure out what this boat is valued at...   I've wanted a maverick since I was a kid.  And this was within reach so I snagged it up cheap.    I need to look into props but not sure where to start

4 minutes ago, JEM said:

I wonder what the boat weighs??????  36 mph with a healthy 115 on an 18' flats boat sounds extremely low to this bay boater.  Nice "museum" grade boat!  Congratulations on the find.

Thanks man!!!   I'm not sure yet what it weighs...  I put on a hydrofoil to see if it helps..     I need to try props and check the motor height.     Right now the cav plate is about an inch above the bottom..    the boat is in really good shape but still need love here and there.     What is one of these boats worth.    I'm new to the maverick scene 

I have no experience on the flats boats.   Whichwaysup should be able to offer a little guidance on value as well as what that boat should top out at with a 115.   I would get the make, model, and size of that prop and report back to see what the Maverick experts say. 

Putting a price on that is like trying to price a unicorn.  It's one of a kind and has a great history.  I think 90% of the price is going to be how well the rebuild was done and how well documented it is.  Equipped like that, well used 10+ year old MAs get anywhere from 10-20+K.   

Agree with the above, if that motor is healthy, that boat should be into the low 40 MPH range easily.  My 87 easily got 43/44 with that old smoker 115 I had on it.

12 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Putting a price on that is like trying to price a unicorn.  It's one of a kind and has a great history.  I think 90% of the price is going to be how well the rebuild was done and how well documented it is.  Equipped like that, well used 10+ year old MAs get anywhere from 10-20+K.   

Agree with the above, if that motor is healthy, that boat should be into the low 40 MPH range easily.  My 87 easily got 43/44 with that old smoker 115 I had on it.

Depends on the prop....my MA17 1995 with a 115 and a 4 blade Power tech (as I wanted hole shot) runs right at 38 mph WOT...I'm sure with a 3 blade it would run over 40 mph.

To the OP - what prop you running....size and pitch and that will help...

Most likely you are over pitched...you should not have to have someone sit on the front seat to come on plane.

dc

Interesting find! I have no info to offer on the Berg hulls but if its anything like the MA then its pretty heavy and those numbers may be tweaked a bit but you may be disappointed in the long run without more HP. Interestingly, I just saw this Berg for sale on C list and the owner may be willing to chat a bit on his rebuild. Looks to be a year newer and different layout maybe or maybe even back then Berg had a 17 and 18.5? and yours may be the 17? Cool to see the classics still surviving.  https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/d/1978-maverick-master-angler/6289727390.html

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 5.53.51 AM.png

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Depends on the prop....my MA17 1995 with a 115 and a 4 blade Power tech (as I wanted hole shot) runs right at 38 mph WOT...I'm sure with a 3 blade it would run over 40 mph.

Most likely you are over pitched...you should not have to have someone sit on the front seat to come on plane.

dc

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

dc

I'm running a 13-3/8 x 17 pitch 3 blade.  Thanks for any help on this

1 hour ago, triplec said:

Interesting find! I have no info to offer on the Berg hulls but if its anything like the MA then its pretty heavy and those numbers may be tweaked a bit but you may be disappointed in the long run without more HP. Interestingly, I just saw this Berg for sale on C list and the owner may be willing to chat a bit on his rebuild. Looks to be a year newer and different layout maybe or maybe even back then Berg had a 17 and 18.5? and yours may be the 17? Cool to see the classics still surviving.  https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/d/1978-maverick-master-angler/6289727390.html

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 5.53.51 AM.png

Thanks for the info.  My title says 18 foot 1977 maverick.  I will try and reach out to him.  

On 9/21/2017 at 7:17 AM, Vdubbin1967 said:

I'm running a 13-3/8 x 17 pitch 3 blade.  Thanks for any help on this

Contact Marcus at Power Tech props in Lousiana..

Most likely you'll need a stern lifter 4 blade to get you up and running off plane faster...you'll loose probably 2-3 mph...I'd go with a smaller pitch 16...

For the 115 Evenrude - it's probably on the margin for min - HP - a 150 would have running it well, but, that being said, look at 4 blades for hole shot....and go as low on the pitch as you can for intial grip and spin.....

this beast will cut the chop as does my MA - howerver, it's not gona run fast with only 115....

tell him Wana sent ya :)

dc

• 1 month later...

So I figured out a few things with my Boat speed.    I put on a hydrofoil and greatly improved in getting on plane.   Also my Boat had Bennett self adjusting trim tabs and when the were pinned in full up it felt like bow was buried still.    I removed the trim tabs and it get on plane a lot faster and I get about 41mph top end.          Still doing lots of things to it but finished my name for side:), new fuel hoses and water separators, new fuse panel, new wiring with dual batteries, all new switch panel, all new dash I made out of  black starboard , new jl audio sound system, new shadow caster 10” underwater light, new led rgb cockpit lights, had trailer rebuilt, full engine service, resealed every screw and hatch and bolt on the boat, installing a bilge blower because for some reason the bilge and under front deck area stays humid.   Still little touch ups here and there but almost done! 

25D64FB4-6C35-43C8-AF19-DA849D87A846.jpeg

D8113182-53A3-4F89-87DE-8E8BB30B018C.jpeg

119C76D9-9DDC-48BB-B4CC-9461453F87E2.png

002CE4E0-CEC7-4374-963B-C99AE514EDDB.png

Archived