Jump to content
Drummer

Minn Kota Riptide base on stern?

Recommended Posts

Has anybody tried using their trolling motor not only pulling on the bow, but pushing on the stern?  Sure would be nice to motor along when fly fishing without all the motor stuff on the bow. If I had two mounts I could move the motor to the rear when I get near fish. I wonder if this would work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can do it, remember the old school dual tiller trolling motors for tarpon on the rear? 

I have a quick release on the back deck but it's for making long runs. You can order just the deck piece for 25 bucks from Minn kota

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 55 Minn kota on the stern of my 15 ft maverick HPX.  It works fine and keeps the bow open on such a small boat.  My boat is light and the motor controls it pretty well.  I also have a 70 on my 20ft Hewes lt tackle on the bow which is great.  My LT was one of the boats out fitted with duel stern motors,I got rid of them very quickly  as they were problematic  controlling the boat. I would not use a stern set up for a heavy boat like a 20 ft LT.

I personally wouldn't want to be moving the motor while fishing,but thats me.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I have a 55 Minn kota on the stern of my 15 ft maverick HPX.  It works fine and keeps the bow open on such a small boat.  My boat is light and the motor controls it pretty well.  I also have a 70 on my 20ft Hewes lt tackle on the bow which is great.  My LT was one of the boats out fitted with duel stern motors,I got rid of them very quickly  as they were problematic  controlling the boat. I would not use a stern set up for a heavy boat like a 20 ft LT.

I personally wouldn't want to be moving the motor while fishing,but thats me.  

 

Understood about moving the motor, but with the quick release mount only takes a few seconds. I like having the bow open for fly anglers, and in difficult poling conditions this may be a big help. I appreciate your thinking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Yes you can do it, remember the old school dual tiller trolling motors for tarpon on the rear? 

I have a quick release on the back deck but it's for making long runs. You can order just the deck piece for 25 bucks from Minn kota

Is just the deck piece available online or do you have to call and special order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I understand what you want to do, bow and stern mounts,   The mounts are one piece in place units. Do you really want a motor mount on the bow?  Regular bow mount is set up to fold out over the bow, the rear mount uses a different type of attachment, like a small outboard out board.  I have a bow mount on my hewes LT with a puck quick release,but that is so I can get it off in the fall for storage.  That folding unit isn't going to go on the stern at all.  Check Birdsall Co who makes the stern mounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember you have trim tabs to contend with and possibly a stern opening compartment.  my LT has 2 stern compartments,one on each side.  I'll be interested to see how you make out with this idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 5:39 PM, Drummer said:

Has anybody tried using their trolling motor not only pulling on the bow, but pushing on the stern?  Sure would be nice to motor along when fly fishing without all the motor stuff on the bow. If I had two mounts I could move the motor to the rear when I get near fish. I wonder if this would work. 

 

For fly fishing....carry a couple of large beach towels...drip them in the water and cover the trolling motor...

I do this for DonH when he wants to fly fish and it really helps with the tangling..you can hang the towels over the head of the trolling motor and lower your TM as low as possible...

Again, I'm assuming you are using an Ipilot or similar...

 

dc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×