95 Yamaha 115 starting problem

tailingloop

I have a 95 Bayfisher with a Yamaha 115 that only gets run once or twice a month.   Starting her cold is always an issue.  I follow what I believe is the normal routine of pumping bulb until firm and using choke switch.  Motor does not want to catch. Eventually, it will start but it takes 10-15 minutes. Plugs seem to be ok.  If anybody has the magic formula, I am all ears.  

My bet is fuel. I would clean or change the fuel filter on the port side of the engine and get a new fuel/water separator to start. Just for kicks I would invest $12 in a new set of NGK plugs as well. Start with the easy stuff! PS how old is your gas??  Regarding the choke, you shouldn't have to use it except for a few seconds in warm weather. You could be flooding the engine if you use too much choke. 

5 hours ago, tailingloop said:

I have a 95 Bayfisher with a Yamaha 115 that only gets run once or twice a month.   Starting her cold is always an issue.  I follow what I believe is the normal routine of pumping bulb until firm and using choke switch.  Motor does not want to catch. Eventually, it will start but it takes 10-15 minutes. Plugs seem to be ok.  If anybody has the magic formula, I am all ears.  

I start my engine on a weekly basis...only way to keep it running well...

Those two strokers need lots of love...

dc

Archived