Checking in on our Florida Members

whichwaysup

6 hours ago, justfish said:

Flooded again. Less than a year from Matthew. So tired of this. 

Seems this west coast storm did as much east coast damage 

Justfish this is one of my biggest fears after a storm is to come back and have to start cutting wet drywall, remove wet carpet, etc.. Man I really, really feel for you! 

Friday when the local TV station with the "most accurate forecast in the state" said the storm was moving to the west and would travel over water all the way up the west coast to the Panhandle and we would see a surge up to 10',  I went into real serious protect the house mode. I knew that the NE corner would go right over my house in the South Shore area. Busted my butt to get my house and my mother-in-law's house "hurricane ready" knowing we were going to finally get the "big one" in Tampa. Nope, it moved 25 miles to the east of us and I've had more tide/surge in a hard summer rain storm. No damage, nothing, I can't believe it. I look at the damage in Jacksonville, Naples and the east coast......just crazy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did OK in Delray Beach. House fine, Boat fine, Yard trashed. Power out 48 hours. Half the town dark. Still under curfew. Remarkable how strong the storm was here, when it was so far away.. Like Dino said. Tornado warnings every 20 minutes got maddening. Vicious feeder bands kept coming with gusts to 95 mph here on Sunday night.. The storm slowed down to a crawl and extended the thrashing forever.

Still feel incredibly lucky and Blessed. The lower Keys and Naples got crushed. I pray all our Members are OK, and get back on track quickly..

Justfish and Chuck.. So sorry for the flooding..  Troy.. Glad you made it through. I hope that recovery is fast and you get back to work quickly..

I feel for all the people in the path of this monster...

Woodsie

I hate hurricanes, what a pain in the azz. They said the storm was going to hit the east coast, so I drove to Englewood (S/W Fl.) last week and took my boat off the dry rack in Stump Pass Marine. I didn't want to take a chance that the storm might take another path.  Brought the boat to my condo about 2 miles from the marina and stored it in the garage ( concrete block, metal roof, built to codes in 2005). Then the storm shifted to the west coast, dang should have trailered the boat home to Orlando. Than the path shifted again and Orlando was on the bad side. Dang, just cant win. Boat and condo are fine, no damage at all.

Long story short, we dodged the bullet. We stayed in our home, that I built. I don't mean that I subed out the building, I mean that I built every inch myself. Had my trees thinned last year. Installed the storm shutters, had food, water, battery powered lights and beer. Woke up Monday morning after about 3 hours sleep and found the lawn about knee deep in tree branches. No damage to house, no water leaks and we never lost power. The man up stairs was watching over us.

Justfish, my heart goes out to you and your family, you've really dealt with too much stuff in the last few years. Remember, life is a test.

Headhunter, the pics of your home are heart breaking. I've been in Headhunters home and it is absolutely beautiful.

Dang. How do you prepare for a storm like this. It was bigger than the entire state. Bad weather on both sides and real bad in some places.

I hate it for you guys that had damage.

I didn't even go to check on the boat until late yesterday and all my buds were calling every 5 minutes asking how the boat was. I said I tied it well to the docks and nothing all that important to me is on it. Happy to say it was bobbing along right where I left it and only because we got missed from the worst of the thing this time.

After looking at the size of some of the trees that went down way too close to me and my family I think I have sat out the last one. One shook the house when it went down and could have been a true widow maker.

Just got a mess to clean up and I'm good with that. I would pick this crap up everyday and thank my lucky stars there was a reason to.

One thing to add. I know a lot of people have totally stressed out. I have gone to neighbors and friends house's the morning after the storm and chewed some tail. People/friends doing stupid stuff with chain saws and all sorts of things. Nothing essential other than panic clean up efforts. I simply reminded them that our first responders  are taxed to the limit. Some places have limited street access. You tear yourself up you may not get emergency service of any kind. Just before pulling on my street I saw a guy in his yard throwing gas on a pile of brush he had picked up and was trying to burn after 10 inches of rain.o.O

Haven't left my yard since. Be careful out there. The shock is wearing off and the crazies are ramping up.

We are slowly getting back up to speed here at MBG.  Our biggest issues is our employee base, many fled and are having a hard time getting back.  Our major issue locally is flooding, over 12" of rain from Irma with some areas getting more, had to turn my phone off with all the Tornado warnings. 

Skip

I just bought a condo in Everglades City and closed last month on the 15th, been getting painting and all of that stuff done since.  Someone there sent me pics of water 5 feet up my garage door...  Can't get back in there now for a couple of weeks!  Ibex starts for us on Sunday setup, then runs through Thursday.... I hope that everyone is okay....

First off, I'm glad nobody lost a loved one or got hurt! Thankfully my family, friends and I are all safe.

My home in Pompano Beach sustained wind driven water damage and I'm still on generator power. The hood is a mess; reminds me of post-Wilma.

Merritt's boatyard looks like a storm never blew thru this area. No infrastructure, office or vessel damage to report and power & phones were never lost there.  

My 18HPX didn't get a drop of water or dirt on it even though the storage building's CAT4 rated roof got partially ripped off. Biggest problem is that a dumptruck is blocking me in because the roof collapsed onto its hood.

Everglades City got devastated. Chokoloskee is beat up. The bridge connecting those communities was wiped out but has been temporarily fixed. My friend who drove down there yesterday reported that my camper and my surrounding neighbors campers looked fine and it didn't appear that the surge rose into my cabin. Although I won't know for sure if there's water intrusion damage until I get down there, hopefully tomorrow or Friday. Cip reportedly sustained moderate damage, Parkway minor damage but the campers at Outdoor Resorts appeared to be heavily damaged.

So far a few of my clients lost their yachts while others sustained minor damage. Claims are trickling in now but will likely pour in once everyone can get to their vessels to assess damage. These kind of events are exactly what insurance is for.

6 hours ago, conocean said:

First off, I'm glad nobody lost a loved one or got hurt! Thankfully my family, friends and I are all safe.

My home in Pompano Beach sustained wind driven water damage and I'm still on generator power. The hood is a mess; reminds me of post-Wilma.

Merritt's boatyard looks like a storm never blew thru this area. No infrastructure, office or vessel damage to report and power & phones were never lost there.  

My 18HPX didn't get a drop of water or dirt on it even though the storage building's CAT4 rated roof got partially ripped off. Biggest problem is that a dumptruck is blocking me in because the roof collapsed onto its hood.

Everglades City got devastated. Chokoloskee is beat up. The bridge connecting those communities was wiped out but has been temporarily fixed. My friend who drove down there yesterday reported that my camper and my surrounding neighbors campers looked fine and it didn't appear that the surge rose into my cabin. Although I won't know for sure if there's water intrusion damage until I get down there, hopefully tomorrow or Friday. Cip reportedly sustained moderate damage, Parkway minor damage but the campers at Outdoor Resorts appeared to be heavily damaged.

So far a few of my clients lost their yachts while others sustained minor damage. Claims are trickling in now but will likely pour in once everyone can get to their vessels to assess damage. These kind of events are exactly what insurance is for.

Good luck with your place down at Choko, our friends moved up to the condo at the Estuary in E City and now they can't get back home unless they walk...  The road is really beat up and power could be down for quite awhile there, I heard Red Cross is there with food and water now so that's a relief but certainly not good news for friends and the people trying to operate a business over there.  Best of luck man.

11 hours ago, DaveC said:

I just bought a condo in Everglades City and closed last month on the 15th, been getting painting and all of that stuff done since.  Someone there sent me pics of water 5 feet up my garage door...  Can't get back in there now for a couple of weeks!  Ibex starts for us on Sunday setup, then runs through Thursday.... I hope that everyone is okay....

Dave C, so sorry to hear of that bad news. A friend of mine had a very nice place at Port of the Islands, yep " had" he said it's gone....plans to start over after all the clean up crews get other people in need taken care of. Very sad. 

22 hours ago, justfish said:

Opened island at noon and made good progress. We got garage gutted and cleaned up. Now we have a place to get stuff out of house into. 

The restoration guys are all booked in TX south Florida or Jax. Thank God for good friends and I know what I'm doing now...

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

Just Fish, thank God you and your family are safe..... very sad for loss of all the hard work you had just completed. There are no words that can fix that...hang in there brother !!   We got lucky here in South Georgia, initially the prediction path was directly into Savannah, which scared the 💩💩out of us. JJ

Glad to hear everyone is somewhat doing good done in FL. It got pretty bad here in Charleston, SC 100s on miles away. I can't imagine how bad it was in FL.

We live across the street from the Intercoastal and had several feet of storm surge, the water reached our front yard. The neighbors accross the street had lots of flooding. We lost a tree to the window and soggy ground. Overall we're lucky.

10.jpg

11.jpg

On September 11, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Headhunter said:

We are in Atlanta. Headed home Wednesday or Thursday. Boats and dock ok but 12 inches of water in the house. WE will have to see what the damage is once the water level drops.

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

Sorry to hear Headhunter, I'm right up the road in Palatka. We did all right. Lost power for two days. Luckily we are on a high spot so no flooding for us but the St Johns wreaked havoc on many docks and low lying areas. Hope for a speedy recovery for you all!!! 

Matt

I am in Fort Myers. We had some pool screens tear, boat rocked back forth quite a bit. Lost some trees, still no electricity.. I am flying in today, Jetblue Has regained some service..

According to my friends the boat did fine, thank god the expected 15'+ surge didn't happen. God luck to all and anyone needs help near FM, Ping me here.. Good luck,

Rob

21 hours ago, DaveC said:

Good luck with your place down at Choko, our friends moved up to the condo at the Estuary in E City and now they can't get back home unless they walk...  The road is really beat up and power could be down for quite awhile there, I heard Red Cross is there with food and water now so that's a relief but certainly not good news for friends and the people trying to operate a business over there.  Best of luck man.

Thanks. 

I went to Choko this morning with a  truck load of clothes, water, food & gas that I dropped off at the collection point at the big yellow home on the corner of Smallwood Dr & Snook Alley. The locals are beat up but not broken. They've got drinks & food (snacks & MRE's) but they really needed gas more than anything today! Donated generators would help I'm sure. I'm bringing my spare generator there with 50 gallons of fuel to donate to a family I know in need ASAP. In the weeks to come I'd like to coordinate a couple big grills, propane tanks, burgers, dogs, buns, condiments, plates & napkins to serve the locals a hot dinner one night. 

What I saw this morning was surreal. Choko church floors are all mud as are the playground, basketball & volleyball courts there. In the neighborhood I saw women & babies crying, trying to keep the skeeters at bay. Saltwater drenched clothing, shoes, beds, blankets, pillows, carpeting, furniture, vehicles, etc all drying out in front lawns and porches. Lots of roof & fascia damage throughout. FPL is telling locals to expect 25+ days before power is restored and up to two weeks for running water. The stench on the island smells like Everglades mud x rotting fish x body odor. 

Thankfully my camper & a few others at cip made it thru the storm with no water damage. I found two small dents & a ding. No water intrusion anywhere, dry as a bone & it still smells like new. It turns out that my lot sits pretty high so the surge didn't come up to the road in front of my lot. My friends on the corner 150' away from me were flooded and all the other streets in cip had mud on them. As I always say....I'd rather be lucky than good any day!! The marina was damaged but salvageable. Building has serious damage. Boat ramp had huge buildup of debris on it but you can't launch there anyways because the power pole is down on the main road. 

I'll be back down there the day after my power is restored to help clean up cip & help those in need on that island! 

My nephew, brother and two friends, one who owns property in Marathon just got back from flying some supplies down there. Getting clearance was kinda tough, however when they got down there the military was as nice and courteous as could be helping unload the plane. I think we will be able to get clearance to take two planes down Saturday with some more stuff.....simple things they need like hammers, crow bars, women's personal items, you know, things we take for granted. Generators are like gold!! If I can get it on the plane I'm "loaning" my spare generator to a friend down there, hope he can find gas. The property owner had about 2 1/2' of water damage, little structural damage, however all the homes closest to the ocean side, as far back as 1/4 mile from the water are really in bad shape. I don't have to tell most on here that it is really hot this time of year and shall we say a bit stinky with freezers all thawing out. If I make it down Saturday I'll post some pics.

On 9/11/2017 at 5:13 PM, Bamaskeet said:

We were very fortunate, we had very little damage on St George Island.  In fact we had negative tides, not storm surge, and what made it almost pleasant is, we never lost power.

I know the Keys got hammered, and I'm worried about wether the house I rented in Codjoe Key for May 2018 will be available.  I thought the media hyped the storm up a little and really didn't give you a true picture of what they expected to happen, just the worst case scenario.

I was lucky and had a friend with a Ph.D. in oceanography that looked at the NOAA data a couple times a day and gave me a much more accurate forecasts during the storm.

Cudjoe key is history.

Archived