Checking in on our Florida Members

whichwaysup

Y'all doing okay?  I suppose that if you are reading this, you have power and/or data/internet, which would be a good thing!   Let us know how you fared and if you need any help!   

A little curious, too, if the Drama channel portrayed this thing at all accurately, or if they were finding the one mud puddle/downed tree and making money on it.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Praying for the guys to our south that got hit by the storm. I did notice the weather channel was speeding up the footage from the storm, they left the car backing up in the footage. Unfortunately, I think it looks bad enough that dressing up the footage isn't needed. I hope everyone is safe, boats and property can be fixed. (Although CNN showed what might of been a MA sitting in someone's yard. It looked like it was left there by storm surge.)

21 minutes ago, nhinshoreangler said:

Best to Florida residents. There's been little coverage of the after effect on the Keys. 

How did the Keys do?

Wondering this myself. Reports of surge over 10' in the middle to upper keys, plus they got some nasty wind. Saw a couple of pictures of some houses that supposedly were about 12' high with water up to the floor boards. Not good news for a lot of homes and businesses that were not elevated much. Hope that everyone stayed safe and the places I have reservations for in May still exist. 

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurricane-irma/islamorada-mayor-says-damage-left-by-hurricane-irma-pretty-devastating

We were very fortunate, we had very little damage on St George Island.  In fact we had negative tides, not storm surge, and what made it almost pleasant is, we never lost power.

I know the Keys got hammered, and I'm worried about wether the house I rented in Codjoe Key for May 2018 will be available.  I thought the media hyped the storm up a little and really didn't give you a true picture of what they expected to happen, just the worst case scenario.

I was lucky and had a friend with a Ph.D. in oceanography that looked at the NOAA data a couple times a day and gave me a much more accurate forecasts during the storm.

Well thank GOD ,she wasn't a catagory 4 or 5 . I live in Kendall a stones throw from Homestead. I only had 3 downed trees and 150 ' of wooden fence. It was 15 years old , didn't expect.it to make it . Thankfully never lost elect, power . No signs of flooding anywhere here ,farm fields  across the road didn't even have any standing water . There always an excessive amount of drama with news reporters , but sometimes that's  what it seems to take to get  some people motivated . And thank GOD a lot of keys residents listened. Here inland we  only had 60 to 75 mph gust we were very fortunate this time.

East Central Fl.  All our family is safe. Boat fine. Our home fine, but handful of neighbors lost portions of roofs.  Mostly fences & trees..recorded winds at 99mph at local airport..sure felt like over 100 that night!  Rain & flooding.  In our County roughly 80% without power and 50% without water (me included). Generators keeping power on, but no water *** big time!

The Indian River Lagoon system took a lot of fresh (polluted?) water. Strong consistent onshore winds blew the river west, canals overflowed seawalls, all sorts of crap floating onto docks and into yards. Boat on trailer & I put lift what I thought was high enough..my dock has never been underwater before..it was during storm. I used a shovel yesterday to get all the river debris off the dock.  Water is receding but still extremely high.  Somebody's dock is in my back canal, we plan to remove and reuse it today :)   

Feeling blessed. We have a roof over our heads, we have food & bottled water. My family is safe.  

punta gorda did very well. my condo complex had a few torn lanai screens and broken tree limbs. all boats no damage, were in water. no surge at condo. some street flooding downtown. my guardian angel was watching over us for sure. hope you all faired as well as I did. did not think I was going to have anything when I return. told to expect 6-8 surge. stayed at sons with rest of family. surely blessed. :x:)

Ditto with what JohnD said.  East Central Florida here, Rockledge specifically:  the landscape has change but fortunately the house faired well and the family is intact.  No power no water (currently at work now).  The fun (fishing) will be put on hold for a while as the nhood dock is destroyed as is many of the residents docks who live along the west side of the Indian River Lagoon.  I'd be very cautious taking any vessel out in the river right now, lots of floating debris.  The storm was brutal for being so far away from the eye, overall happy to have it behind us. 

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Man, Justfish, I am sorry to hear that.  Flooding really stinks!  Hang in there!

I feel for you fish, just hang in there, just as long you and wife and the little man are ok that what really matters. sure your tired of hearing that with all you have been through in the last year. prayers out to you my friend. :x fin

Tampa did well by most accounts.  We're in south Tampa where there is always the fear that the Bayshore is going to flood during periods of heavy rains but it didn't, and the coolest thing was driving down Bayshore in advance of the storm and seeing mud bottom for a few hundred yards....the wind blew the water out that much!

Of course there are many without power.  TECO reported yesterday that 2 of 3 homes were powerless but some are back on line today.  Publix was open this morning and there was plenty of food to be had, including perishables, but the shelves were at about half capacity.

I haven't toured the waterfronts so perhaps someone else in Tampa Bay can let us know how the boats did.

Thanks to all for your concern.

Archived