Northbound traffic

jason p

The wife and I made the trip to my parents house in Milledgeville GA yesterday from Homestead. Picked up the wife at work @ 2:30pm (Quail Roost/SW200) on the turnpike, made it to Gainesville 11 hours later!!!  The 9.5 hour trip took 16. If your planning on driving out, do it in a pickup truck if you got one with as much food and fuel as possible in the back. I took 35 gallons of diesel in the back and glad I did. The one exit we stopped at to walk the dog and ourselves, all 4 stations were out of everything. Good luck gentlemen. 

Well, you made it and you are in a safer place. I live just north of Orlando and decided to head west to our condo in Englewood. The latest track shifted west, so now Englewood is getting almost the same winds as Orlando. Got the shutters up yesterday, got food, got water, but no generator. So, we'll see.

As of right now, yes. Moving the new boat into a warehouse in plant city tomorrow morning. Skeeter bay into a protected parking garage outside of flood zone. The old SCB isn't with me, but I think the hull is totalled anyway. Struck something underwater and cracked all the way through the hull. 

It's in tarpon springs at a marina and was told it has been secured by someone I trust.

What are your current plans? 

If the track adjusts in a serious way come tomorrow afternoon, I can reevaluate, but right now I'm staying put

5 hours ago, mdemott said:

Live in Fernandina Bch. and have moved to Destin to a friend's condo. House sits on a tidal creek and I lost my dock and seawall to Mathew. Tide is scheduled to be 7 feet when the storm arrives. Guess I will call my dock guy and get on the list for a rebuild.

And the flood tides started up yesterday...Stay safe! 

3 minutes ago, bigsnook35 said:

Strapped the boat down outside at the house in plant city and hoping for the best. I'll be at work till probably Tuesday at least. Hoping it keeps trending west at this point. Hope everyone is safe. 

Yeah Seth, looks like it's going right between you in Plant City and me in Apollo Beach. If I can make it through Monday's 2.4' high tide at 6:00 am without water in the house I should be good. Good luck to you with the winds, you are right in the bad location for that. Stay safe.

Yeah, I'm thinking you have to add the storm surge to the normal 2.4' high tide. So the last number I saw at 3' to 5' surge for Tampa Bay plus the already high I'm borderline at 7.4'. I know where a summer high tide is on my seawall so as you can figure I'm hoping for the low end of the surge.......for all of us on the water!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, mdemott said:

Live in Fernandina Bch. and have moved to Destin to a friend's condo. House sits on a tidal creek and I lost my dock and seawall to Mathew. Tide is scheduled to be 7 feet when the storm arrives. Guess I will call my dock guy and get on the list for a rebuild.

Where you seeing those numbers? Everything I saw says 2-4' surge 

We had 9' surge in St Aug for Matthew a cat 3 30 miles off our coast on high tide. I can't imagine it getting that close to that being in gulf.

16 hours ago, justfish said:

Where you seeing those numbers? Everything I saw says 2-4' surge 

We had 9' surge in St Aug for Matthew a cat 3 30 miles off our coast on high tide. I can't imagine it getting that close to that being in gulf.

With us on Kingsley creek, our location between the two inlets funnels the water up the Bealls river or into our creek. With Matthew we lost our dock and seawall at a king tide and a  surge. Don't remember the height of the surge as we had to evacuate the island.

We will return to Fernandina Bch on Wednesday to see how our house fared.

Archived