Trailer Setup Advice

General disarray

Hey Guys,

So I have  new trailer that was setup by the dealer but I noticed (depending on how steep the ramp is) that I have to lift up on the bow to get it to go up and over the roller by the winch. Then the roller guides it up from the rub rail to the hook. Does that seem right or am I just pulling in too deep on the ramp?

I have a continental trailer with the forward bunks. The one thing I noticed is the front roller for the keel does not make contact at any point. Is that because the forward bunks or does it still need to make contact and thats why I am having to lift it?

Photos:

GVYhrNc.jpg

4n4F4ye.jpg

Yes, you are getting the trailer too deep. Next time you launch the boat, take notice of how deep you have to go before the boat starts to slide off. Sometimes, depending of how the trailer is set up, 2 inches in depth makes a big difference in how the bow clears the winch stand.

The roller in front is not supposed to support any weight. You could move it up till it just touches the keel and that might help in keeping the bow above the winch stand when loading or launching.

I know it seems counterintuitive but the problem is that you are backing the trailer too far, too deep.

You would think that would result in the bow being higher vis-a-vis the roller but it does not.  The bow lifts when the boat hits the bunks as it is traveling forward, this action lifts the bow so it is over the roller.  You may have to crank the winch to get the boat fully loaded - this will not hurt you.

When it bought my Donzi Sweet Sixteen, 3 of the boats I had looked at had gouges on the foredeck from coming in to the trailer too low and coming in under the roller where the metal under the roller made a mess of the foredeck.

Don't worry about the roller under the keel, it should not support any weight once the boat is loaded, just help to guide the boat on the trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing often overlooked is that the trailer does not have to be the same for launching and retrieving.  When launching I will not put the trailer in as far and let the motor back her off. The further back the higher the transom floats and pushes the bow down into the roller. When loading the trailer goes back so the boat floats on and is powered/winched the last foot or so..

Archived