2400TE Trolling Motor

teknickcull

Hello All,

New to the forum but have been lurking here learning a lot the last couple of weeks.  I just picked up a used 2008 2400TE.  It needed a lot of little things but I finally got her "good enough" for a fishing trip this weekend.  My question is about the trolling motor.  The boat came with a 24 volt Minn-Kota.  I tried to use it Sunday and nada - the breaker for the trolling motor was open.  I reset the breaker and was able to use it for about 5 minutes before the breaker tripped again.  This time it wouldn't reset.  Later on in the day I tried again and was able to get the breaker to reset but the motor still wouldn't work at all.  Obviously something is wrong and I should be able to troubleshoot it but my question is this:  Are you guys w/ 2400TE's running 24v or 36v TMs?  For the few minutes that it worked it seemed to be working its butt off to move that 24 footer against the light breeze (yes I have a T-Top).  If any of you are running 36v systems where do you have the third battery?

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

In a similar "boat" as you with a new-to-me 2007 24TE, so not much experience yet to speak from, but I have a 36v trolling motor. My set-up is four batteries under the console (three TM and one cranking) with an added cranking/house battery installed in the back hatch with the livewell pumps, Perko switch, water separator, etc. I'm out of real estate under the console. 

I don't know if this vintage 24' came stock with just one cranking/house battery, but the old Perko would suggest that was the case. I added a new sound system with some thump and a larger GPS/sounder unit, so thought the extra battery would likely save me from having to jump the engine off the TM batteries on occasion (or worse).  

The 24 volt system will do the job but you will drain those batteries much faster than if you have the 36 volt system. I had the 24 volt, 80 lb on my 22. I could, and did wipe out those batteries frequently. I now have the 36 volt system on my 2500. The Rhodan 120 lb can move the boat in excess of 3 mph. It will "anchor" the boat for hours and hours. I have yet seen the digital readout on the charger drop below 75%. I am using basic wet cell Interstate batteries. I'm not even sure I could drain those things in a single days use. 

I have the same boat.  It had a 80lb 24v when I bought it.  I was surprised it did as well as it did but it was not optimal.  When it died I went to the 36v and its so much better.  I downsized batteries from 31s to 34s, have the stealth DC and never have issues draining them.  The 24v seldom made it through a full day.

As far as batteries, I run a 5 battery setup.  Probably overkill, but I can get 4 batteries in the console and a dedicated starting battery in the rigging hatch in the stern.  I have 3 34s for the trollers and a 27 dedicated house battery.  I have the euro style console and it all fits with the washdown tank.  Its tight and not fun to get them in and out when one needs to come out, but it all fits.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies y'all.  I was able to fix the breaker issue by disassembling the trolling motor plug and receptacle, cleaning it and putting it back together.  I'm pretty sure it was just corrosion/loose connection.  I've fished the boat 3 or 4 times since fixing it and honestly so far the 24v is fine for my needs on the calm days I've fished.  I haven't really put it through its paces on a tough day yet so time will tell if I want to upgrade.  

Archived